18 and gettin a surgery June 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 and gettin a surgery June 1

Hey Guys! Im 18/f and Im lookin at a surgery June 1. Im kinda nervous and dont really know what to expect. My curve is in my upper back (dont know the technical term for that) and its about 50 degrees. I've been weightlifting and running a mile 2-3 days out of the week preparing myself. So Im a pretty active person. So heres some of the questions I got for you younger folks who have had the surgery done:

1) What kind of pain should I expect to have? I have never had more than a broken wrist or a sprained ankle in my life!

2) How long will it take for me to get "comfortable" enough to get back to normal? 3 months after the surgery I will be going away to school in Oklahoma. I've heard that it doesnt take very long, especially if you're in shape and young. Should I be OK?

3) What does the brace look like? Is it uncomfortable? Can you wear a regular shirt over it?

4) What about hygene? How the heck am I goin to shower and shave? Ahhh!!!

5) What should I expect in the hospital?

As you can see I'm all questions and no answers. PLease help me out?
    thanks!

God bless,
    Annlee

1) What kind of pain should I expect to have? I have never had more than a broken wrist or a sprained ankle in my life!

It's unpleasant. But all of us have lived through it. It's not *that* horrible, and most people manage well enough on the prescribed pain meds.
    --------

2) How long will it take for me to get "comfortable" enough to get back to normal? 3 months after the surgery I will be going away to school in Oklahoma. I've heard that it doesnt take very long, especially if you're in shape and young. Should I be OK?

Well, some people have returned to school (we're talking elementary, middle, high school) in about 6 weeks. If you're on a big campus you might want to check into handicapped accomodations for your first term- that way you don't have to tote big heavy backpacks accross campus.
    But... I was back riding my horses at 3 months and doing all sorts of evil things (going running, stacking hay bales and feed bags (all of which are 50 lb plus.... ). Just make sure you have help moving in, and try to make things as easy on your back as humanly possible.
    ----------------

3) What does the brace look like? Is it uncomfortable? Can you wear a regular shirt over it?

Are you for sure going to have a brace? I didn't require one after my surgery.
    Somebody else can answer this better, obviously.

I had to have help showering for the first couple weeks- only because the shower was in the basement... so I had to "shower" in a clawfoot tub with one of those long hosey type thingies.
    I invested in an electric razor, so I could do touchups and not get too fuzzy, and could just shave a little bit at a time. It wasn't long until I could return to the normal shower routine though. just a couple weeks.
    ----------------------------------
    5) What should I expect in the hospital?

My hospital experience was this:

Went in very early in the morning to be admitted. Did some paperwork, then got taken back, changed into TED hose (these tight hosiery things that keep your legs from developing blood clots since you're not walking for a couple days), hospital gown. Talk to nurses, anisthesiologists, surgeons. Was administered a sedative to keep me calm, and before I knew it, I was in the recovery room.
    I personally went directly to the orthopedic unit- some people spend some time in the ICU, but I didn't need to. Didn't do anything the first full day after surgery. Second full day, I sat up at the side of the bed and I believe moved to sitting in a chair. Third day, up walking. Initially used a walker, but that was too much of a pain, so I just walked with the nurse and holding onto my IV pole. Physical Therapy came to the room to work with me on walking. More walking fourth day, went to Physical Therapy and occupational therapy departments. Climbed stairs, learned how to get into a car without hurting my back.
    I did require two transfusions of the blood I donated before my surgery. That was no big deal. My catheter and foley were gone on day two, if I recall correctly. Drainage tube removed from incision, IV's removed on day four.
    Then I got to go home on Day 5. My restrictions were lifting nothing over 5 lbs, no putting my hands higher than my shoulders, no climbing stairs, no bending, twisting, etc... for the first week. After that, i was pretty much told to use good judgement. And my discomfort kept me reasonabl well behaved for a while.
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Hi Annlee:

I am quite sure that you will be perfectly fine with your upcoming surgery and be better than ever after about three months. Of course it will take about nine months for the spinal fusion to completely solidify. I myself have had many, many spinal fusion's for very, very severe scoliosis, and myself still hoping to find that my doctor. You get a chance to view my web site at www.FrankieBush.net and go to the "Bio" page you can see some video clips of what my life has been, and realize that you will never have to go through anything so drastic, as they have come a long ways over the years.

As far as personal hygiene in the hospital, yes, that is a little embarrassing to everyone when you have to actually put yourself into a stranger's hands... :-)... But that is just part of being in the hospital and actually humbles you in knowing that we are all just human. But when you get home they do have all types of adaptive equipment that can help you with everything from brushing your hair to almost anything you can imagine. There are even devices to help you with your getting dressed. But I really do not think you will have to worry about any of the type of type of things. They will probably have you up and moving quicker than you can imagine. There will be some kind of pain but they will keep it under control, you will be fine.

And please believe me I do understand. I'm a professional entertainment by trade and live in Las Vegas. But throughout my entire life and even today have only dreamed of having a spine that is probably as straight as yours is right now. But God has continued to bless my life, so I can only imagine the wonderful future that you have in store for yourself.

Take care, and I wish you all the very best.

God bless you, real, real good, Frankie Bush www.FrankieBush.net

Comment

Working...
      X