Dr. Rick McCarthy, Little Rock, AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Rick McCarthy, Little Rock, AR

Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Rick McCarthy, a Little Rock, Arkansas Surgeon?

Thanks.

is he the surgeon that did extreme surgery on t.v.?? I could be wrong though.

Comment

I don't have personal knowledge of his work, but, yes, he's the ortho who did scoliosis surgery on two young patients on the Extreme Surgery program. I also know he has attended a training session for the VEPTR (Vertical Expandable Prosthetic Titanium Rib) procedure used on very young children.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Carmell:

My ortho in Rogers said he was on the Discovery channel recently--it must be him. I didn't see the program because it was before we got the bad news on Nathan's curve (40 degrees) today. What did you think?

Comment

Honestly, I thought the program (Extreme Surgery) was exaggerated. The narrator mentioned "life-threatening scoliosis" over and over... I would imagine for someone new to scoliosis, that would have been frightening.

Anyway, Dr. McCarthy seems to be a good orthopedic surgeon. He treated one of the patients on the program who had typical adolescent idopathic scoliosis with traditional posterior only surgery. The other patient was a 6yr old girl who he treated using growing rods. Growing rods have many downfalls, and I was surprised the program advertized the procedure as new. It is not. Since that program was filmed, Dr. McCarthy has attended a training session for the VEPTR procedure. I would hope that he has the insight to know which treatment is best for each unique and different patient. One treatment doesn't fit all. There is a time and place for all the scoliosis treatments out there, and its our job, as parents, to make sure we choose the right one for our child(ren).

How old is Nathan? Is his curve a thoracic, lumbar or cervical curve? Does he have any other medical issues in addition to the scoliosis? These and other questions are important to know before making any decision to treat scoliosis. Scoliosis is rarely an emergency situation. You have time to research and find out what will be best for Nathan and your family.

Let me know what you think of Dr. McCarthy. In all my years reading about families who have young children with scoliosis, his name had never appeared until this program aired. Makes me wonder how many young pediatric patients he's had. I'm curious to know what he says about Nathan.

My best!
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I thought his name sounded familar.
            i agree with carmel on how the show exagerated the "risk of paralysis", yes there is a risk, but the way they made it sound as if it happens often. I watched the surgery a week before my daughter was having the surgery and it made me more nervous then i already was.
            Jennifer

Comment

We all must of watched that show. It scared me too. Which is one reason I had so many sleepless nights for nothing. Everything went picture perfect for my daughter. I was releaved, especially after seeing that show.

'til later,
              Nikki

Comment

All:

Nathan is 14 and big--5 ft. 11 and 230 pounds. Although I didn't have the presence of mind to ask a lot of questions today, I've looked at the X-rays all day and I think the curve is right thoracic because the radiologist only drew one Cobb angle that is in the rib area with no Cobb angles in the lumbar region. Although his growth plates are closing, he isn't done growing. Based on the size of the men in my family and his growth since birth, the doctors have always predicted 6 ft. 3 or 4.

We got to the ortho we saw today because the school caught the curve. He was also having pain in the thoracic area on the left when he did some things. The pain and the referral from school got us to the pediatrician, who then sent us to a local ortho.

Other than pain and needing to drop some pounds, the only other health issue Nathan has had was hip surgery four years ago to put a pin in his hip because his growth plate slipped. When we first learned of the potental curve two weeks ago, I was hopeful that maybe the curve was because one leg was shorter due to the hip surgery. Our local ortho says no--the hip isn't causing the curve.

McCarthy's web site advertizes all three procedures, including the minimally invasive for a thoracic curve. If that is an option, what are your experiences with it?

Our local ortho says McCarthy has a booming adolescent scoliosis practice--one of two in Little Rock that specialize in it. However, the local ortho also indicated that McCarthy maybe somewhat of a jerk--Harvard med school and pretty snotty. I guess I don't care if he has a bedside manner as long as he is good at what he does.

Comment

Hi Nancy. My 16 year old son is having surgery June 22, 2005, to correct a 45 degree left lumbar curve. Did your doctor say anything about Nathan's size affecting his surgery or recovery? I ask because my son is 6'2 (or 6'1" depending on who is measuring) and weighs 220. He has been working with a trainer to get in better condition for the surgery, but his weight is still up there and I'm a bit concerned. Our surgeon isn't too concerned with his size (or at least hasn't said anything) but being a mom, I worry about everything.

Comment

Hi Carol

The local ortho hasn't said anything yet, but our pediatrician was very firm that he needed to drop some pounds. I have the same concerns you have and was planning on enrolling us both this weekend at my gym at work, including some time with a trainer to see what he needs to do to be better conditioned if we have the surgery. I guess I'll get to drop some needed weight too! What did your trainer recommend for conditioning/strengthening the muscles?

Nancy

Comment

Hi Nancy.

His trainer has been working on increasing his cardio ability to burn off some calories and has been doing basic over-all body strengthening. They meet twice a week so he has been working in cardio in between strengthening exercises for the core muscles, targeting the abs, plus either upper body or lower body depending on the day. We can actually see some muscle now and his shoulders have really broadened out.

The thing is, he loves to eat so he is still taking in more calories than he is expending (story of my life too). :-) Over the last 6-8 weeks, we have eliminated the chips and candy from our house, we do not drink soda and we have cut way back on restaurant meals and take out so I'm not sure what else to do. My husband feels that since the surgeon isn't concerned, that I shouldn't be either, especially since our son is willingly going to the gym now which is more than he was and we have made some positive changes. But, I still worry.

Comment

Nancy & Carol,
                        Your concern for your boys health is legitimate. My daugther, 16 years old, just had surgery on 3/15/05. It seems like just yesterday that she had her surgery. I am convinced that her recovery has gone so well because she is an athlete and in terrific condition. She was back to school part-time at 3 weeks post-op. She has been on the go since the day she came home from the hospital. Sure, she gets tired, but takes a nap when needed. So, keep up with the trainers and encourage good health to your boys. You have all my prayers and support on it.

Crystal is now six weeks post-op and gets up at 5:30am to start her day, and goes to bed between 9-10pm. Without being physically fit, she wouldn't be where she is today with her recovery. She wants so badly to start running again, but the doc says not right now. So, we go for a walk each day after she gets home from school. We take her market lamb, since we are trying to get him conditioned for a show in 4 weeks. So, we kill three birds with one stone, her, her lamb, and me. I honestly feel that her minimal use of prescription pain meds is because of her condition too.

Keep up the great work ladies and keep those boys a movin'.

'til later,
                        Nikki

Comment

Nikki, I am at a quandry regarding fitness before surgery. Erica is very fit now, but the seasons for her favorite sports are over. I encourage her to go outside and shoot baskets and keep fit. She wears her brace 23/7 as usual. Yesterday, she said she has trouble running without getting out of breath, and I suggested she remove her brace for physical activities like that. She refused. I also understand the brace is preventing the use of muscles in the torso, which will be a big change after surgery. Basically, I am thinking if she does more physical stuff without her brace from now until surgery, her back muscles will be in better shape for recovery. I have been told that she will get therapy after surgery, so not worry about it, but as you have said about Chrystal, her physical condition in advance is a great help for recovery, with good, strong muscles in advance. However, because Chrystal is in such good shape, it is possibly harder for her to suddenly become a couch-potato during recovery. That is one thing I think Erica is trying to mentally prepare for. If she spends lots of time being active now, then she will really want to continue this activity but will have to control the urges even more while she rests for a year. What do you think? Kris

Comment

Kris,
                            You wouldn't believe what Crystal did yesterday. I went to pick her and her sister up from school. She saw me standing at the office visiting. She waved at me and seemed happy to see me. Then she kicked it up and galloped down the hallway to me. Made my heart stick in my throat. Actually, as far as being active. The doctor is thrilled she is doing so much. He just doesn't want her bending and twisting her back and picking up anything heavier than 10 pounds. He told her she could start swimming in 4 weeks.

The day before yesterday her History Teacher caught her shooting hoops in the gym. He told her that she wasn't supposed to do that. When she told me about it, because she knows I'll find out sooner or later, she said "Mom, a basketball only weight 7.6 pounds." I wondered how to answer that one. It is under the maximum weight she is supposed to pick up. However, I did tell her that she should be shooting baskets until the doctor clears her for it.

I am so thankful Crystal has a brace to keep her from twisting and bending her back. I think it has been a lifesaver for me. She is an impossible kid to slow down. But, on the other hand, she has bounced back from surgery quite well. Crystal doesn't make a very good couch potatoe. I really think Crystal's activity before surgery made her want to be active after surgery.

Keep encouraging Erica to be active. With her impending surgery, it won't hurt for her to take her brace off and getting some activity. She will recover quicker if she has the will to get up and get going again. Crystal had to set the pain of moving around in the back of her mind and just get going. She never let it keep her from doing things. Some kids will say it hurts to move and will become very inactive, not realizing that moving around makes things better everyday.

I need to get my girls to school. Let me know if this helps you out.

'til later,
                            Nikki

Comment

Kris,

I would encourage your daughter to stay as fit as possible. Everything I've read and heard says that if you go into major surgery strong and healthy, you recover more quickly. You absolutely want to strengthen the supporting muscles of the abdomen and back, and you want to stretch the hamstrings. One thing that's tremendously helpful before surgery is Pilates. My daughter played lacrosse, field hockey, and basketball before the scoli got really severe. Once she went past 50 degrees, she got out of breath quickly, and it was hard for her to keep up, so she stopped her team sports. We did pick up the Pilates class, a little yoga and balance ball, and she worked out on our eliptical trainer.

I think you're right on target suggesting she do some strength training without the brace. By 4 weeks your daughter will be back to light physical activity, and will most likely be working with a PT, so she's not going to be tied down too long.
                              Susanna
                              ~~~~~~
                              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Working...
                              X