Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 yr. old son with 40 degree curve and maybe surgery

Hi:

My name is Nancy and I am the mother of a 14 year old boy, Nathan, diagnosed today with a 40 degree curve. We are being referred to an orthopaedic surgeon in Little Rock, AR to discuss surgery. Because of Nathan's size (5 ft. 11 and 220), our local ortho doesn't think bracing will help, particularly with the degree of curve. It looks like an "S" to me, but the radiologist marked the 40 degree curve in the thoracic region, rather than anything in the lumber area.

The surgeon we'll be seeing in Little Rock does the less invasive procedure. Can that be used if it is a thoracic curve?

Regardless of which type of procedure he ends up using, what will Nathan's flexibility be like following surgery if it is a fusion in the thoracic area?

Thanks.

Hi Nancy,

I can't answer all of your questions, but I will try to help with the flexibility one. My daughter is almost 5 months post-op and has a rather long fusion (T3-L2). Jamie has really, really tight hamstrings and that causes some problems with her flexibility. She bends very easily from the waist, she ties her own shoes, cuts her own toenails, shaves her legs, etc. When she does her at home stretches for her legs, I notice that she does much better, but at 13 y.o. she usually doesn't find much time for stretching. I hope this helps.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Nancy!

I'm not trained or anything, but my own experience is that sometimes if there is one curve larger than the other, and the "small" curve is considered compensatory, the surgeon might only mark up the big curve. This has happened to me a few times. In the past I have sometimes asked them to measure the smaller one too for my information.

Take care ~Laura
      30y/o
      Upper curve around 55
      Lower curve around 35

Comment

Working...
      X