Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I pack to bring to the hospital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I pack to bring to the hospital?

Its me again. I was wondering what I would need to pack for when I get the back surgery for my kyphosis.
    I really hope it goes well. If anyone has any info on what to pack, please let me know.

Kayla McElligottKayla McElligott

Hi Kayla...

I have a document on my website that might be of help in figuring out what to bring to the hospital:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Regards,
    Linida
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Kayla. What you should bring to the hospital are the same things that you would need at home. Things like brushes, toothpaste, deodorent, toothbrush, shampoo, etc. Make sure to bring t shirts, to that you can have when you can take that god awful hospital gown off. Make sure that you get some slippers with some grips, and MAKE SURE that you bring some pillows. My hospital pillows were so uncomfortable, we went to Wal-Mart to buy some (my house is 5 hours from the hospital) just so we could buy some! Also, pajama pants are really good too! Take care! Ross
      Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
      www.myspace.com/ross40728
      Had surgery on 9/20/04
      81* Scheuermann's Disease
      40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
      U Rod Inserted
      Fused from T2-L3

Comment

hi kayla
        Make sure you get pj's that button in the front. My daughter could not lift her hands up to get a shirt on in the beginning. To be honest don't bring too much to the hospital because you really don't need much at all. My daughter didn't put a pair of her own pjs on until the day before she left. She wore a zipper up sweat suit for the ride home. Lotion was really nice to have, rubberbands are good for putting your hair up and out of the way, chap-stick because your lips get dry and non-slip socks for when they get you up and walking. That is basically all my daughter used.
        good luck
        Jennifer

Comment

I agree with Jennifer. Take things like toothpaste, toothbrush, hair brush, etc. You won't need a lot of clothing. Crystal didn't put her pj's on until three days before she went home. So, we took home lots of clean clothes. She wore her basketball warm up suit for the ride home. Be sure to have something really comfy for your ride home.

Nikki

Comment

Here's my "must have list" to bring to the Hospital:

I-pod or portable music device
            A couple of mushy familiar pillows
            Laptop or portable DVD player
            A couple of photos of friends and family
            Comfort object like a childhood bear (you're never too old!)
            Soft familiar pillows
            Slipper socks (the fuzzy ones with sticky bumps on the bottom, try Target, Wal-Mart)
            Plastic cup with a lid and straw
            Rinse free soap like Cetaphil. The soap the hospital has can be nasty.
            Body lotion
            Face care stuff (wipes, lotion, zit cream)
            Toothbrush and favorite toothpaste
            Feminine supplies (even if you just got your period, you'll probably get it again. This always happens to women/girls after surgery)
            Soft loose PJ's for after the catheter comes out and for the ride home
            Lots and lots of pillows for the ride home

The hospital will give you these lemon glycerin swabs to wipe your mouth when you aren't allowed to drink. Don't use them, they feel good for a minute, but then they make your mouth feel sticky. Wet a paper towel, and wipe your lips and tongue and suck on it a little. It's enough moisture to make your mouth feel better, and wet your mouth and throat a little, but not so much water it will hurt you.

If your hair is long, put it in two braids (like Pippy Longstocking) and get your family to brush it out every day when PT makes you sit up. Bring covered bands to fasten the braids. If your hair is short, consider trimming it even shorter to minimize the birds nest.

Ask your family to keep a journal! It helps them remember when you get pain meds and the names of doctors and nurses. If you start to feel anything other than mild discomfort (3-4 out of 10) insist on paging the pain management team, day or night. Even if you’re on the pump, they can come and give you a little extra zap. There is always a way to make you comfortable, so don't take "No" for answer. Pain slows healing and there is no reason for you to suffer.

Try your best to get enough sleep before surgery, although it is really tough because you’re nervous. Make sure she stop iron supplements a day or two before surgery and have light meals the last day so you don’t have problems with constipation after surgery.

Don’t take any aspirin, Nuprin, Aleve or ibuprofen for two weeks before surgery.

Good luck with everything!!!!!
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

susanna's list was definitely better then mine! Sorry! Like susanna said definitely bring favorite pillow from home, one of my daughter's friends made her a collauge (sp) of pictures of all their friends and put it in a frame for her so we brought that to the hospital, deinitely a comfort object (my daughter is 15) and still has her blanket shh, she'd probably kill me if she knew i was telling everyone, i brought that. Those special things really help.
              Jennifer

Comment

susanna,
                there's someone on the revision board who is looking for information on dr. boachie, if you get a chance i thought you could give him some info on him.
                Jen

Comment

Jen,
                  Crystal is 16 1/2 and still has her baby blanket. We had to take it with us. It was the first thing she looked for when they brought her in from recovery. I think it is kind of special these girls still have their favorite comfy's after all these years. Does your daughters still have batting in it? Crystal's has no batting left in it. She won't let me put a new batting in it either.
                  Nikki

Comment

hi nikki
                    I was laughing when i read about your daughters blanket, that is so funny that is the first thing my daughter was looking for also and there is no batting left in hers either. I remember there was this one nurse's helper and she was an older woman she would come in and take nicoles blanket and tuck it under her chin it was so cute, nicole loved her. My other two kids still have their blanket too; one is 10 and one is 8.
                    Jennifer

Comment

Yes, I had a baby blanket that was an incredibly ratty scrap by the time I was 16 or 17. We had someone in our house painting, and he took my "blankie" and used it to clean up a spill and threw it in the garbage. You would have thought he killed the cat. My mom gave him the tongue lashing of his life and then we pratically ICU'd that blanket. Cleaned it with paint thinner, and then washed it five times. By the time we were done, it was almost it's original color, and a bit more frayed, but it was my blankie, and it was saved! Pretty sad how much those little scraps mean to us!

Susanna
                      Susanna
                      ~~~~~~
                      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

susanna
                        that is so funny. I can't believe that happened. I never had one, but if that happened to any of my kids we'd be picking through the garbage too!
                        Jen

Comment

I guess we have to appreciate those blankies. They are a comforting item when things are tough. When Crystal went to the National FFA Convention last year in Kentucky, she took it with her then. Good thing she did, she got terribly sick while she was there and didn't have mom or dad there to comfort her, so she had to be comforted by her blanket.

Crystal almost goes into panic mode when hers comes up missing in her bedroom. She usually finds it buried deep under her blankets.
                          Nikki

Comment

Ladies, I never thought my daughter would take her blanket with her to college, but she did! It is usually under her pillow. I asked her if she wanted to take it to the hospital and she said no, she didn't want to take a chance on losing it, but it sounds like maybe I should take it.
                            Linda

Comment

Linda,
                              I'd take that blanket to the hospital. It is a comfy for her and you'll wish she had it. We didn't have any problem with any lost articles.

Aren't these kids incredible. They are so strong to get through these surgeries. But, I am sure part of it is their favorite comfys they take with them.

Nikki

Comment

Working...
                              X