A Train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Train

Probably another stupid question of mine, and i know i'm so over protective, I figured someone on here may know if it is okay for my daughter (almost 6 months post op) to go on a train?? I hate to keep calling the surgeon's office for every little thing, but there are so many things that they can't do so i wasn't sure. I figured it would be okay, but of course do not want to take any chances if she is not allowed. I know on the train there is probably some jarring and it may be alittle bumpy.
    Thanks
    Jennifer

train

Jennifer,
    Oh no Oh no . . . not a stupid question at all, I'm feeling the same way with so many things Jamie's doing now! She's riding her bike now, yesterday (first time!) she went off the diving board. I cringed, but nope her doctor says it's okay. . . . . . I wonder about the train, Jamie had her restrictions lifted earlier than Nicole's. Hmmm. It's a good question.
    Pat

Comment

Jennifer,

I would think that a train ride would be okay at six months post-op. I agree that there may be some jarring, but it won't be like riding a rollercoaster or something like that. My question for you is this: how far is the train ride and do you feel she will be comfortable sitting the entire time? If she goes on the train, I would caution her to try to stay seated so she isn't walking around and getting jarred while walking. Jamie is almost five months post-op and her doctor okay'd her trip to Washington D.C. (about a three hour charter bus ride) and you know she is still VERY restricted.

Mary Lou

Comment

thanks both pat and marylou for your replies. Okay, since you don't think it's a stupid question then i'm going to call the dr and ask if it's okay. She would be fine i know sitting on the train for that long. She seems to really have no problems doing anything. The train ride would be about a 40 minute ride. I hate this feeling not knowing what she can and cannot do.
        Pat, riding the bike, diving! Wow! Nicole asked me the other day if she could ride her bike i told her no LOL. I say no to everything. When i call today i'm going to ask about that.
        Marylou, she will be fine on the bus ride, she may get alittle stiff sitting for that long, but at least those buses aren't bumpy like the school buses.
        thanks
        jennifer

Comment

Believe it or not, Jamie is allowed to ride her bike. She is so bored that I e-mailed the doctor the other day and asked if she could ride her bike, go to D.C. and play volleyball/badmitton as long as she isn't running. He actually ok'd all of the above!

Let us know what the doctor says.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
            i can't believe jamie can ride her bike. I'm jealous. I just got off the phone with surgeon's office, i did ask about the train they said yes she can. I asked if she could ride a bike, they said absolutely not; only a stationery bike. They said not for a year. I asked if she could play volleyball, they said only if it's in the backyard, not a real game. I asked if she could run around and play tag, she said no. She said no baseball. She said if she cross country ski's she can do that, but she doesn't. She said if she does dance class she can go back to that. I was going to ask about bowling, but i figured she was saying no to everything else that they would say no to that too. She said she was going to send me a sheet on what they could do at certain months. She said i should have it, but i don't.
            Susanna, if you are reading this, did you get one? If so i'm curious what it says for 6 months.
            I told her that it was getting very hard with the nice weather and her feeling so good, but she said if she does things that she is not supposed to do, she may regret it in the future. Something like that. It's not so bad if it's the winter but the summer is hard.
            I didn't ask about jumping in the pool i should have. We have an above ground pool and i would think jumping in it with your feet hitting the ground would not be good for the back.
            I really wonder why some drs. have different restrictions?
            Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

When you get the list from your doctor, would you be willing to share it with me? I would love to have some basic idea of what they should and should not be doing at certain points in their recovery.

As for riding her bike, don't be too jealous. Although Jamie was given permission to do so, she hasn't even tried yet. I'm not sure if she will ever be comfortable on a bike because of her long fusion. I hope at some point that she is comfortable because as ride bikes a lot as a family. I'm glad that you got the ok for the train trip. Where's she going, by the way? Jamie isn't playing any real volleyball games either, just in the back yard with a low badmitton net, but it is still something they can do. Does your daughter play Bocce ball (it's a yard game) by any chance? How about croquet? I know exactly how you feel about the weather being so nice and the kids spend so much time indoors, which I hate, but there isn't too much they can do outside. I would rather deal with this now than have them do something that will hurt them later.

When is your next appointment? Jamie doesn't go back until June 9th, so I know we are stuck with all of her restrictions until then.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                i will definitely give you the list when i get it. Nicole doesn't play bocce ball or crocquet. i didn't ask about the badmitton, because in my yard i have the volleyball net, which is also for badmitton, which she likes. She is just going into Manhattan with a few friends and the parents of one of the girls. The day before her surgery they all went on this same little trip, just out for lunch, shopping, etc. and we wouldn't let nicole go with her surgery being the next day. She was so mad at us and didn't talk to us all day. Well, tomorrow they are doing the day trip again, so she is glad that the dr. said she can go on the train or else she wasn't going again. We on on Long Island, about 1 hour from Manhattan. Now she is bothering me to call the drs. office back, but it is after 5:00 and i'm sure they are closed and i don't want to be annoying. They are probably sick of me already LOL. In Manhattan there is a big Toys R Us and they have a small ferris wheel in it and she wants to go on it. I wish she would have told me this before i called them. I don't know if she can do that. I may just tell her they said no. What do you think about a ferris wheel??
                We are supposed to go back the beginning of July, but i am going to make the appointment for the end of June if i can to see if they lift some more restrictions. When is your trip to Washington?? I'm sure you feel so much better going along with them. I'm worried with nicole going into the city tomorrow.
                Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer
                  Dr Boachie Is Going Away For A Few Weeks. We Are Going Next Week To See The Brace Guy And Boachie. This Is Also Going To Be My 4 Week Check Up.
                  Theresa
                  THERESA

Comment

hi theresa
                    good luck at your appointment. I'm sure Lindy (sp) will be there while he is away. She's probably sick of me calling all the time with all these questions, but i guess that is what she is there for.
                    i know after the 4 week mark my daughter had a big improvement on her recovery.
                    let us know how the appointment goes
                    jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer
                      I Call Her All The Time Too Thats What She Is There For. I'm Somewhat Upset That She Hasn't Gotton Her Brace Yet She Was Suppose To Have It 2 Weeks After The Surgery. The Doctor On Call Told My Husband At The Hospital That She Needed It Right Away. They She Should Of Been Measured For It In The Hospital. Before We Left I Asked Dr. Boachie He Told Me In Two Weeks. Then When We Got Home Two Days They Called And Wanted Us To Come Right Away. My Husband Was Flipping Out. So Anyway We Went She Was Measured Now As Of Last Week The Brace Was Ready But The Brace Guy And Doctor Couldn't Get Together With Appoinments. So I'm Hoping This Will Not Cause Any Problems With Nicoles Back. We Go May 2 To Kill Two Birds With One Stone. The Ferris Wheel At Toysrus Isn't That Bad As Long As They Don't Jerk The Car Around I Would Think You Could Ride It.
                      Theresa
                      THERESA

Comment

Jennifer,

I would probably ok the ferris wheel. I'm sure she will be careful. And as for worrying about her, try not to worry too much. At least she is with an adult you trust (that was a concern of mine for Jamie's trip) and just remind all of them about her restrictions if they haven't left yet. Did you think about sending along some Tylenol? I don't blame you for not letting her go on the previous trip. I would have worried myself sick, what if they missed the train and got back late, or we had to cancel the surgery...you made the right call on that one.

Jamie's trip to D.C. is Thursday. I know she will be very tired. We went shopping Saturday and we ended up leaving after a few hours because she was getting tired and we still had a 40 minute drive home. She was tired the rest of the day, but she had a good time and found a dress for her eighth grade transfer which is what we were shopping for.

Thank you in advance for the list from the doctor. I'm curious to see what they actually can and can not do at each month.

I would say that if the doctor ok'd volleyball in the yard, that badmitton would be ok too. Jamie isn't even allowed to run at all yet and both were ok'd for her as long as she doesn't run.

I'll be thinking about you today! Stay busy so you won't worry as much. lol

Mary Lou

Comment

limitations after surgery

Hi Jennifer, I would love to see that list too!!! And no, sorry, Jamie did not dive off the diving board, she jumped! I vote yes for the Ferris Wheel too, hopefully not too much different than a car ride, right?!

MaryLou, Jamie will be riding just as well as before (just getting her on it the first time will be tricky). Because my Jamie's fusion is just as long, and she really speeds along, and she can certainly keep up with us all, and we go out for long hour+ bike rides. I did change the seat on her bike though, not the one it came with; a softer more forgiving seat.

I feel really strong about calling with the questions, it's hard, we don't know, they do, and we've certainly paid them enough. Not to sound so harsh, but they're in business because of us. We just don't know!
                          STay well everyone!
                          Summer's coming!
                          pat

Comment

I will definitely share the list with everyone when i get it.
                            Theresa, i don't blame you for being annoyed about the brace. Especially if she is supposed to be wearing a post op brace for a reason and she hasn't gotten it yet. How many weeks is she now??
                            At least i'm not the only one calling and bothering them LOL. Alot of you said yes about the ferris wheel, but i still wasn't sure, so i just put in ANOTHER call to Lindy and left her a message. I'm sure she'll call me back soon and i'll let you know what she says about it. Okay, she just called me back. Yes she can go on the ferris wheel, she said a merry go round is okay too, no rollercoasters, slides, bungee jumps. Wow, you all were right about the ferris wheel. I just told nicole she is happy. At least she feels like she can do something. Now i will be more nervous.
                            I'll let you know how her day goes when she gets home.
                            Thanks again for all your help here. I am so glad to have all you for support
                            Jennifer

Comment

Here's an example of a list, it is given by the Orthapaedic ward of the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne to it's Spinal Fusion Patients. On an offside, my restrictions (i'm on the other side of the country) were similar for some, but mostly I had a lot longer restrictions on things, most things except for swimming and walking I couldn't do until the year mark had passed.

Walking From the first week.

Shower From the first week

Bath After 1 month

School 1/2 days from 1 month

Lifting 2.5kg's from 1-3months . 4.5kg's from 6-12months 20kg's from 12 months

Driving After 3 months

Swimming From 3 months onwards.

Bike riding , Light jogging, Tennis, rollerblades, reclined sitting From 6 months onwards

Aerobics, Australian Rules Football, Hockey,
                              Netball, Cricket, Skiing, Horse riding From 12 months

Trampoline Not recommended.

Cheers

Alison

Comment

Working...
                              X