Looking for Dr. at Schriner's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Dr. at Schriner's

Can anyone recommend a dr. at Schriner's hospital in Boston for Kyphosis.
    My daughter is 15 and has been seen at Rhode Island Hospital. I would like to get a second opinion. I am finding that surgery is an extremely tuff decision. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Andi

Hi!

I thought the Shriner's Hospital in Boston was only for "burns?" We went to the one in Springfield for a second opinion, and to look more into the stapling procedure, which we found out wasn't good for us.
    Pat

Comment

Hi Pat,
      Thanks for the response so quick. I realized that it is in Springfield after I wrote in. What is stapling? The Dr. we saw in Providence recomended the rod in and fuse. I don't know a lot about it yet. He also said my daughter is the only girl he has had with kyphosis.
      Andi

Comment

Andi,
        The best part about Shriners is that they specialize in pediatric orthodics only. They some of the best doctors in the world working for them. Also, by being a Shriner's patient, you daughter will receive care until her 21st birthday, which is invaluable to us. We have three girls, two with Kyphosis, one with scoliosis. Our doctor at the Portland Shriners was very familiar with kyphosis and said he could get a huge improvement for our 16 year old daughter. Our youngest daughter that has kyphosis was put in a brace and it seems to be helping.

Our 16 year old daughter had kyphosis sugery on 3/15/05 and has done absolutely wonderful. Her kyphosis curve was at 88 degrees and getting worse. I credit this to the wonderful doctors at Shriners and the staff that works for them. She was fused from T2-L2 and the doctor expects full recovery for her to resume basketball next November. Any of the spine doctors at Shriners are knowledgable. If one in particular isn't, he/she has a bunch of other doctors there to refer you to and you never have to leave the room.

I am finding that kyphosis is more common that people think. The biggest problem is that it has been ignored for years and written off as bad posture. Our daughter told us for years, as we told her to sit up straight, pull her shoulders back, etc., that she was as straight as she could get. Poor kid, we thought she had lazy posture. Not the case. She sure sits up straight and tall now and she grew 2 1/4 inches to boot after surgery.

Keep us posted on your daughter.

'til later,
        Nikki

Comment

Working...
        X