Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Surgery

Hi everyone:
    I accidentally posted my info in the "under 18" site. Duh. I am 33, just had the surgery and already feel better. I would be more than happy to answer questions from anyone.

Details:

Surgery: March 21, 2005.

Pre-op: 44, 37 degrees

Post-op: pretty near perfect correction

Procedure: posterior spinal fusion of T-3 to L-3

Two donor blood transfusions.

Click here for my scoliosis blog.

Chicago

I live near Chicago and was wandering who your doctor was. Did you have the surgery because of your back pain? Your curves seem milder then some. Glad to hear you are feeling better already.

Thanks,
    Becky

Comment

Hey Slippery! I just read your blog and it's as if I wrote it myself about my hospital/recovery experience!! Although my curves were much larger, I am fused from T3-L4. I had posterior and anterior incisions, was in the hospital for 10 days, had blood transfusions and like you...could have cared less about the television in my room! Great blog! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Chicago surgeon

Hey there....

Thanks for responding to my post. My doctor is in Chicago, his name is Christopher DeWald, and follows in his father's footsteps, who was also a scoliosis orthopod. He's at Rush presbyterian. They were first-class all the way at the hospital. I was and still am very pleased with the quality of the care I have been given.

Yes, my curves are milder compared to what is generally considered for surgery, but the pain had gotten so bad that I couldn't walk for long periods of time, exercise, do housework, etc. At only 33, I felt that my life was being wasted. Many doctors told me that scoliosis doesn't cause pain, but I don't know what they're talking about!!

My doctor left it up to me to make the decision, and I ruminated for well over 2 years. I am so happy I made the right choice!!

Good luck with your own crazy spines!

Comment

Why anterior and posterior?

Hey Heidi:
          Why did you have anterior and posterior? Is it because your curves were bigger? Did you have alot of pain before the surgery?

Comment

I guess mine isn't really considered anterior actually, I had a thorocotomy to have part of a rib removed and to more easily access the top curve for removal of the discs.

I didn't have a lot of pain, but I think that over the years, I learned to sit or stand in ways that minimized it without really realizing that I was compensating. My husband tells me that over the past 10 years, he noticed that I was more achy but I didn't really put the two together. I'm definitely more achy and stiff now at 11 weeks post-op that's for sure!

Comment

Hi Heidi...

Removing discs from the front is definitely considered anterior surgery.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Even if the incision begins below the shoulder blade and ends just below the underarm area?

Comment

Yup, it just refers to any procedure done on the vertebral bodies and/or discs.

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                  X