Clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothes

Just a quick question for those who've been through surgery already. I'm planning on taking fairly baggy things with us for Genevieve: I think she's going to borrow some of my t-shirts as I'm quite a bit bigger than she is (all that worrying and comfort food!).
    However, I did see (I think) on one of the threads that you can get some pain raising your arms post op and I wondered (in the middle of the night - the way you do) whether button-down-the-front things might be better. But then I thought I would have to roll her to get them on and that might be worse. I'll have to roll her to change pads and such anyway so it might be possible to kill two birds with one stone if I can dress her at the same time. That's not always possible though.
    I am going to get some sweatpant type trousers that should be easy to get on her. I've become very conscious recently that she seems to grown again and I'm having to tug a lot to get her into clothes that fitted quite easily a couple of months ago.
    Be grateful for any thoughts.
    Lorrie

I took some of Trenton's old t-shirts and cut them up the back, but leaving the collar attached. He enjoyed weraing his own clothes, he even wore pants day 2. I think it made him more comfortable and so so hospital-like. The incision site needs to be exposed because the nurses and dr's are always checking the site.
    SARAH ~Mother of 3~ 11 year old son had a Posterior Spinal Fusion on March 17, 2005. He had a 77*, right thoracic curve, and was fused T4-L1. His curve is now less than 10 degrees* He is doing great!

Comment

Hi Lorrie
      Have you got a date yet for your daughters surgery!? I have been thinking about you.
      Have you tried calling ward 17 for advise, I dont know how they are but they should be good at making practical suggestions for us worried mums. My daughters surgery isnt until July and I was hoping that I could call the sister on the ward nearer the time.
      Olwyn

Comment

Hi Lorrie

You're right, it would've said in a few posts that it can be a bit sore to lift your arms above your head post surgery.

Front opening stuff works really well when you're able to dress yourself. But when you need a bit of Mum's help :-) and it takes some rolling to do it.......it'd just a bit too hard. And as you said, would probably make it a bit more sore.....(its sore enough when they come to turn you for pressure care maintenance :-) and a bit fiddly for all.

Depending how Geneiveve gets dressed when she's up and in her wheelchair ie dressed whilst laying down, dressed partially whilst laying down, partially sitting up etc. Front opening stuff at that stage would probably be quite ideal.

Whilst Geneiveve's in bed, probably stuff that's really baggy would be the most ideal.

Alison
        Last edited by Alison; 04-16-2005, 10:04 PM.

Comment

My daughter was not able to lift her arms to put anything over her head. So button up pjs were the best and she came home in sweat pants with a zipper front sweatshirt. Don't bring much clothes for her for the hospital, my daughter didn't change into anything until the day before we were leaving, they washed her hair and made her put on a pair of her own pjs.
          Jennifer

Comment

Thanks folks. I think we'll probably go for baggy,over the head stuff - at least to start with.
            To be honest, I don't know how we'll get Genevieve dressed post op. We've always dressed her on the bed but that's mainly because we had to put her brace on lying down - it comes down to just above her knees and she has a bar between her legs to keep her hips in a good position. We're not altogether sure yet what we'll need by way of bracing post op. It could be just thigh bands and a bar to help with hips so top half dressing in the chair might be an option.

Hi Olwyn
            Still no date for surgery althoughI'm told she's top of the list. I was kind of assuming she would be on 17 for the day for pre-op and I was going to ask for advice then. I'm sure Maggie will sort us out - she has before!

Lorrie

Comment

When my daughter was still in the hospital, She pretty much just put her arms throught the hospital gown, and left it loose and untied. When she had to get up for PT, etc. she would slip on another gown from the back and tie it in the front for modesty. It wasn't 'till we left the hospital we even attempted to dress, and then it was soft t-shirts and loose soft bottoms. She had anterior surgery, and didn't have any trouble reaching her hands above her head.

Susanna
              Susanna
              ~~~~~~
              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

hey,
                i only wore my hospital gown while i was in the hospital, and when i went to get xrays and stuff i had a robe to cover the back of me. when i went home, i wore a button down shirt because it was too hard to lift my arms, and i wore pajama pants. good luck and i hope this helps!
                ---Alicia---

Scolioisis surgery: 6/26/03
                We're coming back bigger and better than ever!
                <3 *NOLA* <3
                Sincere Thanks to all who donated to the hurricane relief funds!

Comment

Working...
                X