Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiya! I'm New Here!

Hiya!
    I'm Natalie and from East Sussex in the UK. I have only just found this website through a link someone sent me, some of you may know me from spinekids.
    I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Scoliosis when i was 16 and i am now 18, i have recently had surgery on the bottom of my spine for a 55 degree curve and the operation itself took 7 hours at Stanmore in Middlesex.
    They went in through my right side to attach a metal rod to my spine, the op went well although i had a few problems afterwards with the chest drain not draining all the fluid out properly and my lung was squashed during the op causing it to collapse therefore i was in HDU four more days than needed wearing a nebulizer to get my lung back up.
    I was in for two weeks, and its now just two months after the op and i am coping so well i went back to school full time on monday and i am wearing a brace for 6 months 23 hours a day, i am so much more used to it now than i was, at first it was soooo claustrophobic. - It'll be so strange when it comes off!

I was just wandering if any of you that have had surgery, have you had physiothereapy or physical therapy - i think thats what you call it in america. If so did it help? and how long after the op did you have it?

Natalie!
    Name - Natalie
    Age - 18
    Live - East Sussex UK
    Had surgery 9th Febuary 2005 - Stanmore
    Wear a brace 23 hours a day for 6 months

Hey Natalie!! You probably know me form spinekids. I'm Lauren. I just wanted to welcome you here so ....Welcome! Hope your recovery is going well!!
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Hey Natalie and Lauren

I just joined today too. I came found this website through spinekids also! My name is Courtney and I am 15. I have congenital scoliosis and was diagnosed at age 10 (5 and a half years ago) I have been through bracing and surgery (december 12, 2002) and am back in a brace after having curve progression after surgery. I am wearing a boston 18 hours a day. I hope to get to know everyone here better! WELCOME NATALIE... we are both newbies here together.
      Courtney
      Courtney
      Age 16
      Boston Brace 1 year
      Posterior surgery December 12, 2002
      Back in a boston 18 hours a day.
      Maybe done with brace in November 2005
      To visit my website and read my scoli story click HeRe!

Comment

Welcome Courtney!!!
        ~*Lauren*~
        Braced for 5 months
        Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
        Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
        Surgery on April 26th 2005
        Fused from T3-L4
        Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Working...
        X