Recommended Chairs After Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Chairs After Surgery

Are there any chairs (with arms) that are especially useful when sitting around the house after having scoliosis surgery for an adult? I have a couch and a big chair with an ottoman which doesn't seem to be easy to get out of. I also have a lounger kind of chair. My kitchen chairs will probably be really uncomfortable since they have metal backs and are more cutesy than useful.

I'm more than willing to purchase a chair since I'll be home lots after the surgery, but would like to have some recommendations so as to get the right type of one.

Thanks.

Lynn

Lynn, I pretty much stayed stretched out in the recliner with a neck pillow for my head. My kitchen chair I have a pillow in it. The trick to getting out of the recliner is to slide yourself as far forward as you can, then push in the bottom part with the lower part of your legs and just ease on up. You'll find what is comfortable and best for you after a few trys. You might look funny doing it but at least you are doing it!
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Lynn...

For my first year post-op, I found chairs with arms, a relatively straight back, and not too much cushioning in the seat to be the most comfortable, especially in terms of being able to get in and out of the chair. I was in a post-op brace for 5 months, so the type of chair I described was about the only chair that was even a possibility.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lynn,
        I'm now 10 weeks post-op and have found that our office chair was best for me. It's slightly cushioned on the seat and back and has arms. I do use a pillow behind my back as well. I have been sitting on one of our couches (a firm one) for about 2 weeks now, and also use a pilow behind me there. I haven't found the recliner to be very comfortable or easy to use. I think that having a few options on hand after surgery will be best so that you can try them all out to see which makes you most comfortable.

Comment

Although it may not be very practical in a living room setting, hip chairs are really wonderful for anyone with back or hip problems. Here's a picture of one:

http://www.softcarein.com/?i=show&&id=109

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I found stright back chairs with a seat that was only slightly padded the most comfortable and the easiest to get out of. Seating that had heavy padding on the seat part was very uncomfortable and also the most difficult to get out of.
            SandyC
            SandyC

Comment

Suitable Seating

[QUOTE=SandyC]I found stright back chairs with a seat that was only slightly padded the most comfortable and the easiest to get out of. Seating that had heavy padding on the seat part was very uncomfortable and also the most difficult to get out of.
              SandyC [/QUOTE=Mereana]I have been given a chair to use for my homebased computer course. This seat has the base of an office chair on wheels with a rectangle shaped light padded seat with no back that tilts to ease lower back pressure, it has a knee rest the same shape as the seat, you can alternate back pressure with your knees. You need to stretch ur legs and walk @ 20 minute intervals. I find the height excellent and I can change my posture by sitting on the knee rest and resting my arms on the seat, good for computer use, I have my computer on the breakfast bar for height. I find height is essential in our scoliosis lives. I have rods at T4-L5 at the age of 18 in 1976 my age now 47. I see a Physiotherapist who relives my muscles and nerve pain I also have hydrotherapy to de-stress. I am on anti-depressants but realise that if people understood my disability I would'nt have added stress, normal movement causes that. I am glad of this website only we can aid each other to what's out there for us. I have had so many trials and tribulations to find aids and vehicles, therapists and alternative treatments to suit living with my scoliosis.
              Last edited by mereana.marster; 04-13-2005, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Suitable Seating

[QUOTE=Nanalulu]Are there any chairs (with arms) that are especially useful when sitting around the house after having scoliosis surgery for an adult? I have a couch and a big chair with an ottoman which doesn't seem to be easy to get out of. I also have a lounger kind of chair. My kitchen chairs will probably be really uncomfortable since they have metal backs and are more cutesy than useful.

I'm more than willing to purchase a chair since I'll be home lots after the surgery, but would like to have some recommendations so as to get the right type of one.

Thanks.

Lynn[/QUOTE=Mereana]Is there are disability agency in your area that supplies equipment. In New Zealand we have a lazy boy chair that can lean forward and give you a push up. I find lounging is better than sitting I use a bunk bed with two foam mattresses to add height in my lounge. I am awaiting a bed that can sit me up like the ones used in hospitals. I find seats are either too low or not supportive in the lumber region and neck. I have recently found a vehicle that has excellent seating. I have had on trial for a week a backless chair with a seat like the rear end of a saddle but found it not suitable I now have a chair that suits. Through trial and error we find what suits us but on the web we can find short cuts that we can trial from the experience of others.

Comment

Oddly enough I found the most comfortable seat post-up, was the most uncomfortable pre-op. I found I used the recliner the most when I got home.
                  This sounds really crazy but I'm going to send it anyway, go figure
                  Gayle
                  Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
                  Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Working...
                  X