Balance after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance after surgery

My son will be having surgery on the 29th of April. I am very concerned about what this will do to his balance. He already has poor balance because of a brain tumor in 1995. He's also very impulsive - not caring too much for his safety. His PT says he'll adjust, it'll be hard at first. I asked his doc, he just said he didn't know. He uses a walker now.

Would like to hear from you if your kids have bad balance and impulsiveness.

We have our pre-op appt on the 25th. April sure is zooming by.

Originally posted by Belletoo
    My son will be having surgery on the 29th of April. I am very concerned about what this will do to his balance. He already has poor balance because of a brain tumor in 1995. He's also very impulsive - not caring too much for his safety. His PT says he'll adjust, it'll be hard at first. I asked his doc, he just said he didn't know. He uses a walker now.

Would like to hear from you if your kids have bad balance and impulsiveness.

We have our pre-op appt on the 25th. April sure is zooming by.

Well i have not had the Surgey yet but I will tell you that he will be in much better shape than he is in now. I am sorry about his Tumor its sad that all the bad things happen to nice people like you and him. My thoughts are with him.
    97 degree Kyphosis is now down to 23. 12 hours and 16 days after being let go of the hospitol it feels so good to be back.

Comment

I'm just guessing, but his balance may actually improve after surgery. After surgery, his head, back, shoulders, everything should be more in a straight line than they are now. I'm sure he will have some trouble in the beginning, because a lot of kids feel off balance or different after surgery, but the physical therapist will work with that, I'm sure. Some kids I've found tend to lean forward for a while until they find their new center of balance.

You said he is very impulsive. I'm sorry to say I think that will be a problem after surgery. My daughter isn't impulsive, but it is still hard to keep her from doing things she isn't supposed to do. I'm glad she feels good enough to want to do everything, but it is so important that she follow doctor's orders. Be sure to tell your doctor about your concerns. Maybe he'll use extra screws to make sure his hardware holds up to your son's active lifestyle. It sounds like your son is all boy!

You are in my thoughts and prayers-especially April 29th.

Mary Lou

Comment

Thank You both. We'll have to keep reminding him about his safety-more than we already do. He started a new med last week. Hoping that will help too.

Comment

Working...
        X