Monday April 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday April 11

i'm getting surgery this monday, hope it goes well.. i just bought a laptop for the sole reason that it will basically be my only means of communication. lol.

can anyone average how much flexibility they have lost. will i need to do things differently

Male
    curves: upper 55, lower 56
    braced for 10 years
    Children's Hospital Pittsburgh, Pa

thanks alot.

Good luck on Monday! I hope you have someone who will be with you to make sure you are being well taken care of. The laptop may not be important to you for a while after your surgery. The flexibility question is very individual. Do you know how much of your spine they will be fusing? That will determine whether or not you see a loss of mobility/flexibility.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

he said i'd have about 3-5 vertebrate from the bottom i think,, and probably a good bit at top,, but mine spans quite far

Comment

faris-
        I have 2 rods from the very top below my neck to about 5 vertabrae from the bottom. I thought that I wouldnt be able to do anything. But I am almost 9 months post op, and since my surgery I have skiied. I am a swimmer and I am able to swim every stroke except for butterfly, as well as do flip turns sucessfully. There really is little diffrence that I can notice in mobility. Its not like I try to turn around in my seat or look beind me and say "oh I cant turn around because I have rods preventing me." I bought an ipod for my surgery, and never used it,untill after I left the hospitol, you might be too tired to use your laptop. Everyones different. Many prayers.
        Annie

Comment

Good luck and prayers

My 14 year old son will have surgery the end of June. Hopefully, from what I have read so far, while recovery may be a bit slow and painful, you will be straighter and stronger than before. I know some aggressive sports and activities will be out, but talk to your dr and ask about physical therapy or other suggestions!

Comment

Hi Faris,

Just to wish you luck tomorrow. We'll be thinking of you.

Best wishes
            Lorrie

Comment

thanks

thank you all so much for your support, just a few hours away now, and i'm kinda nervous, not really scared just nervous.. anyways thanks everyone, and i'll try an update as soon as possible. i'll probably have lots of questions

Comment

Working...
              X