Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lung Capacity

hey,
    has anyone seen a pulmonologist (lung doctor)? i saw one before my surgery which was two summers ago, and they said that i only had 64% of my lung capacity! To this day, it seems like i am short of breath. i never went back to see him after my surgery and i was wonderin if anybody has had the same problem because of their scoliosis, and if so, did your lung capacity increase after surgery? Thanks!!! --Ali--
    ---Alicia---

Scolioisis surgery: 6/26/03
    We're coming back bigger and better than ever!
    <3 *NOLA* <3
    Sincere Thanks to all who donated to the hurricane relief funds!

Ali...

Your pulmonary function should have increased somewhat after surgery. Here are some references:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle1006.html
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...01/ai_n9209602

You might want to see the pulmonologist again to determine if there's a reason why you're still feeling short of breath.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

lung capacity

Ali,

I have definitly noticed the decrease in lung capacity. Prior to my surgery, I was on both the swim team, and track and field. Five years post surgery I am not capable of much sports-wise. I get out of breath incredibly easy, and probably should have worked on those pulmonary tests a little more when I was in the hospital. I know that it is possible to increase your capacity, but you will have to work on it and stay dedicated to it. Talk to your physican about getting one of those breathing machines where you have to blow the plastic balls into the air one by one.
      Jill

Diagnosed in 1998
      55 Degree S Curve
      Idiopathic Scoliosis surgery in 2000 in Vancouver, BC
      Performed by Dr. Stephen Tredwell

Comment

Hello, my son is 12 and has a 50+%curve. He will be having two surgeries this summer. They tested his lung capacity he scored a 71 then a 76, she said that was average. My son did tell me that if he doesn't wear his brace that he has problems breathing sometimes. Just makes a person wonder just how many people in this world has scoliosis with all that post here. Take care and good luck to all

Comment

lung capacity reply

hi! i read your post on lung capacity and i know exactly what you mean. i have congenital scoliosis and had surgery at the age of three to fuse twelve vertebrae. I haven't taken an official test in a while, but i've been told that my lung capacity is one third of it should be. i get out of breath when i run or do other strenuous activities, but i just keep working at it. i took up playing the saxophone and i think that helped a lot. i can't go without a breath as long as i should when i play but i just make up for it. i also go to the gym and run a lot. i can't go for too long but every time it's a little better. just work on strengthining your lungs and working with what you have.

Comment

Working...
          X