Scoliosis returning after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis returning after surgery

Hi, Im Stacy. I had the S curve when I was 14 and had a herrington rod fussed top to bottom. It was found when I got my sports physical for Basketball. The questions I never thought to ask or my father for that matter was having children and can it come back? Well I'm happy to say having chilren was no problem, I have 4 of them 20-14 years old. The only problem was with my 2nd he was so big as he was being born he snapped my tailbone, which heals itself. But when I turned 30, I started having alot of backpain, so I went to the doctor then ortho, and he said my curve is back, not as bad but still. So I went for PT and it seemed ok for a while but now the big 36(age) and now it is getting worse and they are talking surgery again. I can't do it again. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before?
    I can't find a soul. Any help would be greatly appricated.
    Thanks Stacy in Pa

scoliosis and pregnancy

After I had my 4 year check up with my surgeon, he did talk to me about pregnancy. He said that Scoliosis can be a hereditary disease, and that there is a small possibility that one or all of your children could get it. Since my curve was high in my back, he said it wouldn't be a problem to have a natural childbirth. As for problems resulting after having a child I have no idea. I would assume it would have to do with how long it has been since you've had your surgery and how well you have taken care of yourself in the years leading up to pregnancy.

Best of luck in finding a solution.
    Jill

Diagnosed in 1998
    55 Degree S Curve
    Idiopathic Scoliosis surgery in 2000 in Vancouver, BC
    Performed by Dr. Stephen Tredwell

Comment

Hi Stacy,

I belong to this awesome support group, and almost everyone there had surgery with Harrington Rods around the same time as you, and are now having problems or needing more surgery. You might want to think about stopping by and chatting sometime. The people there are so nice and supportive, and so many of them are having the same problem.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Scoliosisnutty/

Hugs to you,
      Susanna
      ~~~~~~
      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Thank you I'm going there now, the more info the better.
        Thank you for the link.
        Stacy

Comment

Working...
        X