Tens machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tens machines

Does anyone happen to know whether it's OK to use a tens machine while the vertebrae are fusing? I shall ask my consultant but he takes weeks to answer. 4 months post-op (an oldie) I've become allergic to all pain medications except paracetomol - really not strong enough, so I hope a tens machine might help.

Part of my PT involved using a TENS unit. I started PT at 6 - 7 months post op.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Tens

I used it starting 6 weeks post op. When I was coming off narcotics at 3 months my pain doc instructed me how to treat tne withdrawal depression by putting it on my earlobes. I got immediate help. It is also good for total body ache.

I do not need it now thank goodness.
      Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks to both of you, what a relief!

Lavinia

Comment

tens machine

Many women I have met have used the tens machine.however,my surgeon has given me a Spinal-Stem, electromagnetic bone growth stimulator as an adjunct to increase the probability of fusion. Has anyone else used this? The pamphlet which accompanied this provided fairly impressive numbers. I wear it over my brace, or without the brace, laying down for 4 fours a day.
          Kathleen

Comment

Lavinia,

I was really glad to see your question. I was just asking a physical therapist about the TENS machine for my daughter's ongoing post-surgery pain. She's 18 and fused T1-L2 (64 degrees to under 10 degrees).

The physical therapist told me it would be fine. We already had a prescription for physical therapy from a spine surgeon, so we're going to give it a try.

Let me know if you use it and if you get some relief.

Susan

Comment

It sometimes seems to give me a bit of relief if the pain is not bad, at other times nothing. However, my pain is specifically from the metalwork irritating the surrounding muscles, which usually doesn't happen, rather than the usual post-operative aches and pains, so hopefully it will help your daughter. I'm sure the physical therapy is a good idea - I wish it were available here at the UK, but I dare not risk a physiotherapist who isn't familiar with the operation.

Good luck!

Lavinia

Comment

Working...
              X