View Full Version : Trying to find out if my scoliosis has increased in severity

04-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi, I was told by my chiropracter about 6 years ago that I had scoliosis of the spine. He showed me my x-ray and it looked like an S. He did not refer me to another doctor. I recently read a book on scoliosis and asked my orthopedic doctor about getting another x-ray to see if it has worsened in degree. He said that they did not have the right x-ray machine and said that I should not be concerned unless I had a 70-80 degree curve. The book said 30-40 degree. I need to know what I should do next.. am I just being to cautious? Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dee :rolleyes:

Jacque's Mom
04-06-2005, 11:24 AM
DEE - Chiropractors are not the right person to give advise about scoliosis. His statement about 70 -80 degrees is absolutely incorrect. You should definitely see an orthopedic doctor that specializes in scoliosis. Years ago before I found my scoliosis surgeon, I went to a chiropractor, and I remember it like it was yesterday.... he told me that he could straighten my spine. I was also concerned about having a child in the future - his response was that spines straighten after having a child - BOTH WERE INCORRECT. Do you suffer from pain? Regardless, I would seek help with a scoliosis surgeon. Good luck - LYNN

04-06-2005, 11:28 AM
I was told by my ortho that it would need to be 70-80 degrees, the chiropractor said he could straighten mine and I believed him, but I dont anymore. I have read in a book that I should become concerned if it reaches 30-40 degrees. Do you have any info on where to look for a good ortho surgeon in my area? Im in Mishawaka Indiana.. Dee

04-06-2005, 12:19 PM

You can find a list of specialists here:


Be sure to find someone who treats adults.