Anyone have a nighttime brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a nighttime brace?

I haven't been able to talk to anyone who only wears their brace at night, which I'm going to be doing next week. What's it like? Is it hard to get to sleep?? I was so shocked when I learned I was getting a brace and possibly having surgery to ask the doctor any questions at all...so I really need info!
    I'm Karin. I had surgery for my scoliosis on October 13, 2005, and am doing well! I formerly wore a providence brace and did PT for treatment.

nighttime brace

yeah, i have a nighttime brace. its a charleston bending brace. i think it might be kind of new? what kind are you getting?
    i was diagnosed in december, age 14... i got my brace in february. it was sort of hard to get used to sleeping in it, because it bends me (the opposite way of my curve). but now, most of the time i sleep through the night without any problems. at first i thought i couldn't breathe but now it seems pretty comfortable... well, maybe not exactly comfortable lol.

Comment

I have to wear my brace all day and have to sleep in it! its not that bad really. your hours go by like that! If you get a memory foam mattress it works GREAT! because it curves to your body! well good luck!
      Lindsay, age 12
      Curve without brace - 40 top, 45 bottom
      Curve with brace - 40, 38!!!!!
      S curve Started wearing Boston brace
      in June 2005 and will have it for at least 2 yrs.

Comment

I wear a 20 hour boston brace and I do have to sleep in it. I find sleeping to be SUPER easy because when you push against the back of the brace, the front pops up and you get a bit more wiggle room.

Comment

Yes

Yes i do wear my brace at knight
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

the charleston brace appointment

hi, my 13yr son will be getting a charleston brace, (the night brace) he goes tomorrow for the fitting...how is the fitting done? i was told to have him wear an old shirt to his appointment. do they make a plaster cast on him? do they just take measurements? i want to prepare him for tomorrow, any input would be great! thanks

Comment

I hope I'm not too late to respond to your message, and I hope this helps. My daughter was provided a special "outfit" to wear for her fitting. She then stood in a machine which went around her in circles slowly as it made a computer image of her body to create the brace from. It then too several weeks, I think, for them to convert the computer dimensions to the actual brace. There was not cast taken of her body, and I'm not sure if this is just a very advanced technology used in this method or what. I'm sure the machine was very expensive for the brace company, so it may be not all brace companies (orthotists?) take the measurements this way. I know we had to travel out of town to have them do this measurement since they don't have this machine at their satellite offices. Hope this helps. You should be fine today. Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Robotikkaroo
                I wear a 20 hour boston brace and I do have to sleep in it. I find sleeping to be SUPER easy because when you push against the back of the brace, the front pops up and you get a bit more wiggle room.
                LOL! I haven't worn mine to bed yet. i have to wear it 20 hours too. but right now i'm at five and tomorrow i'm doin six.When i lie down, i like to lay on my left side or on my back. i don't know why. the back because of the wiggle room and the side, well, i don't know. it seems more comfortable than the right. hmm....
                Listen my child to this story of dreams
                ~:~ For the beginning is more difficult than it seems
                When the ten daughters are reunited in order
                ~:~ When the four sided box loses it's border
                When eye of the pheonix is in your hand
                ~:~ When the bird of fire can see again
                When the moon sleeps and the sun plays
                ~:~ When the king of the sky shines his ray
                Underneath a river of colors
                ~:~Lies a gate to golden wonders

I luv Gilmore Girls!!!

Comment

My 16 year old son is wearing a night time brace. surprisingly, he was able to tolerate it without horrible discomfort. When it is very hot/humid out he can't tolerate it (even tho we have AC) but most nights he falls asleep with it on and often stays asleep with it all night. Some nights he wears it and I hear the velcro peeling off as he removes it around 4-5:00 am.

But, he seemed to adapt to sleeping in it without much difficulty.

My observation is that wearing it at night only was soooo much better for him than wearing it in public/daytime that he accepted it without a fight!

We re-visit the ortho in December so we will see if it has made any difference. He was given the brace and PT in May 2005 as his scoli curve had progressed from 28 degrees to 35 degrees and his kyphosis curve was still evident at a greater than normal degree.

PT has reduced the kyphosis curve almost immediately (yeah!) but the scoli was the same in June 2005.

Comment

"i like to lay on my left side or on my back. i don't know why. the back because of the wiggle room and the side, well, i don't know. it seems more comfortable than the right. hmm...."

I prefer lying on my left side and my back also! For me it's because the under arm support is on my left side.

Comment

Same here! I sleep in my brace fine! The first night not so good, but the next night I slept like a baby! Yesterday I came home from school early because I have a cold and I took a nap in my brace! I usually can NEVER take a nap, but I took one in my brace! I think that is soooo weird! lol!!
                      Listen my child to this story of dreams
                      ~:~ For the beginning is more difficult than it seems
                      When the ten daughters are reunited in order
                      ~:~ When the four sided box loses it's border
                      When eye of the pheonix is in your hand
                      ~:~ When the bird of fire can see again
                      When the moon sleeps and the sun plays
                      ~:~ When the king of the sky shines his ray
                      Underneath a river of colors
                      ~:~Lies a gate to golden wonders

I luv Gilmore Girls!!!

Comment

I have to wear a brace at night, the Providence Brace. At first it was really uncomfortable. Most of the time I couldn't even fall asleep while wearing it. Or I would only sleep for an hour or two and then give up and take off the brace then go to sleep. But the more I wore it the better it became. I won't lie and say that now I am really comfortable in it, but it's better. I can usually sleep all night in it, but not too comfortably. But it's not really bad like it used to be, and I'm thankful that its's only at night.

Comment

hey i wear a night brace and dont worry its not that bad once u get use 2 it.. the first few days might b alil uncomfortable but itll getbetter... hey how do i make a new thread ive been trying 2 make a thread but i dunno how can u help me wit it?
                          kitti

Comment

Thanks yall, I'm doing okay in my brace now...but it didn't really help, my curves went up 11* in four months, so I'm having surgery anyway. At least I know I did everything I could to prevent it .

Kitti - in any part of the forums (i.e. Bracing) towards the upper left hand corner there'a button that says "New Thread", that's where you need to go
                            I'm Karin. I had surgery for my scoliosis on October 13, 2005, and am doing well! I formerly wore a providence brace and did PT for treatment.

Comment

I had to wear a brace during the fall of '04 and it didn't help my curves, I have 3. I remember at first it was really differcult but it got eaiser. I can remember being really tired for my cross country meet the next day after wearing it for my first full night! What a race, I think my time was, like, 28 something . Yea, it was bad. But then I was able to get myself into it on my own! That was nice. But then something went wrong in my surgery!!!!! That was something. Now, I have just been able to get the brace for my ankle on.

-Sarah

P.S.- I had a sky blue Charlestown? brace. I think it's still here somewhere....

Comment

Working...
                              X