Pilates for post-spinal fusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilates for post-spinal fusion?

Hi. I'm in the process of writing a book about the usefulness of Pilates for pain relief for people who have had spinal fusions. If anyone out there with a fusion(s) has had positive or negative experience with Pilates, please describe it to me in as much detail as you can. Also, please let me know if I have your permission to include excerpts of your story in the book - and whether or not you want your name versus your initials to be used (and please include that info in your email).
    Many thanks,
    Andra (andystanton@comcast.net)

Hi Andra,

I haven't had fusion so I can't help you out, but I had some questions... have you had a lot of experience with Pilates for scoliosis sufferers?? If so, what has most helped them?? (I am a patient with low-back pain and am interested in Pilates but worried it will make my pain worse as did some PT that emphasized motions to strengthen the abs.)

Laura
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

Comment

Alternatives to scoliosis surgery

Hi Laura. Thanks for responding to the notice I posted. It sounds like you're looking to find alternative treatments to surgery? If so, I highly recommend Elise Browning's DVD "Yoga for Scoliosis" (www.yogaforscoliosis.com). She herself has scoliosis as do the people who help her demonstrate the yoga positions. Even with an extensive fusion, I can do most of them. However, I prefer Pilates, but you really need to do it with an instructor when you are first starting out. Pilates instructors are trained to assess each person's particular needs, strengths and limitations and to design a series of exercises based on them. For each person, then, Pilates tends to be different (there are over 500 exercises!). To find an instructor, I recommend contacting www.powerpilates.com (in NY). They are an instructor training center and may know of instructors in your town or city.

As for ab work - Pilates eventually does involve 'sucking in' your belly - but only as much or as little as you can. The exercises tend to be extremely gentle and do not require many repetitions. At least that is how my instructor has worked with me - I came to her in a lot of pain. She was very careful to find out what I could tolerate, but more importantly, what felt good - and we concentrated on those exercises, which were primarily long stretches to stretch out my cramped spine (I started with a 56 degree lumbar curve and have ended up with a 26 degree curve and lots of titanium nuts, bolts and rods, after two surgeries).

I also recommend warm-water therapy at a rehab center once or twice a week in addition to yoga or Pilates once or twice a week. This usually involves initial work with a physical therapist and then you can be on your own. The work in non-aerobic - mostly stretches - and is very soothing because of the heat and the fact that your body is supported by the water.

Please feel free to contact me again. I hope this has been helpful.
      Best of luck,
      Andra

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for posting back! Actually, I'm not really looking for alternatives to surgery... it's probably in my future, since my curve is progressing, just hopefully not for a number of years. I'm more interested in increasing my physical activity and staying in shape with a form of exercise that won't aggravate the low-back pain I have from disk degeneration.

I have the Yoga DVD but haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I'm moving to a different state in the fall so I will probably try to find a Pilates teacher when I get to my new home. It was interesting to hear you can modify exercises - even the ab movements - according to each individual... I hadn't picked up on that part of it. Hearing about the warm water therapy was also useful in thinking about possible options for the future.

Thanks again!!
        Laura
        30y/o
        Upper curve around 55
        Lower curve around 35

Comment

revision fusion after scoliosis surgery

Hi Andra-
          I saw this old post and was wondering if you ever wrote the book? If so, I am very interested in it and/or any recommendations you may have on pilates exercises. I had scoli surgery 12 years ago and a revision fusion for pseudoarthrosis and a pinched nerve 1 year ago yesterday and was taught some basic planks in PT (which I love), but would really like to advance and learn more exercises that would be appropriate for me.
          Thanks for any advice you may have,
          Jennifer

Originally posted by astanton View Post
          Hi. I'm in the process of writing a book about the usefulness of Pilates for pain relief for people who have had spinal fusions. If anyone out there with a fusion(s) has had positive or negative experience with Pilates, please describe it to me in as much detail as you can. Also, please let me know if I have your permission to include excerpts of your story in the book - and whether or not you want your name versus your initials to be used (and please include that info in your email).
          Many thanks,
          Andra (andystanton@comcast.net)

Comment

Working...
          X