One month out from surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One month out from surgery

I had surgery back on November 11th. My top and bottom curves were at 34 degrees and my middle curve was 70 degrees. I am 30 years old. I have the rods and such through my whole spine, and had to have several bone grafts. I am doing pretty well. My lower back still hurts. I wonder if I may be doing something wrong when I get up out of bed, or if this is a normal pain that will eventually go away. I would love to chat with anyone that has had surgery to get their perspectives on it. My name is Ellen and my email is Jejudd@comcast.net.
    Ellen

Hi Ellen...

Did a physical therapist teach you how to get in and out of bed? You should roll onto your side, facing the outside of the bed. Then, place the hand from the top arm on the edge of the mattress (near your face), push yourself into a sitting position.

By the way, I noticed in another discussion that you had bone removed from your shoulder blade(s) to use as fusion material. I had never heard of that before. Bone is usually taken from the ribs or from the top of the pelvis (iliac crest).

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks

Linda,
      Thank you for your reply. I had a physical therapist come see me twice a day in the hospital. I had been under the impression that they were supposed to show me how to get out of bed and in and out of a car. However, they never really showed me much. They helped me out of the bed, gave me my walker and had me walk around the hospital wing I was in. That was about it. Where I really liked my surgeon and all went well with that. I was less than satisfied with the care the nursing staff gave me. Which is kind of sad because the University of Utah is supposed to be one of the best places.
      As for the bone grafts. I knew that he didn't take the bone from the top of my pelvis. I remember him telling me that he didn't like to take it from there. This was the day before my surgery and my mind was quite pre-occupied at the time and I don't remember where he said he would take the bone from. I do remember him telling me that it would probably hurt the most. So, after the surgery, the area of most pain was right between my shoulder blades. I assumed that is where he took the bone from.
      Which leads me to a question that just popped into my head. My lower back area is where the bone grafts were placed, could that be a cause of some of the pain down there?
      Thanks again
      Ellen
      Ellen

Comment

Hi Ellen...

Post-op pain is almost a given in scoliosis surgery. Depending on your age, you should expect significant pain for at least the next 3 months. Pain between the shoulder blades is very common. I found that spending as little time as possible in bed with the head raised and out of bed, working with the head bent forward (as if reading) helped to relieve that pain. The pain in your lower back is probably just post op pain. There is significant trauma to the soft tissue and bone, and it's just going to take awhile to recover.

If your own bone was used for the fusion, it was probably taken from your iliac crest, or from ribs that were removed for rib hump reduction, or for access to the front of the spine.

When you see your surgeon, I think it's important to mention that you were not given any instructions about getting in and out of bed and the car. It would also be really helpful if the surgeon's office had a handout explaining what you should expect during your recovery.

By the way, if you have significant pain, you're probably overdoing things. You might want to limit your time out of bed, especially sitting time.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks

Hi Linda,
          Thank you for all of your helpful info. I keep having to tell myself to sit and take it easy. It isn't something I am used to having to do. Especially with kids around. Your help on how to get out of bed was great, it is much easier than how I was trying to do it and non painful. Out of curiosity, I'm going to have to ask my doctor exactly where he took my bone from. I have to say that I am very thankful that I found this place. It has been a big help to know that I'm not alone.
          Thanks again
          Ellen
          Ellen

Comment

Working...
          X