Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping after surgery

hey,
    i had the surgery two summers ago and i have noticed that since then, i can only sleep comfortably on my stomach. i used to sleep on my side, but i now find that it is uncomfortable. has anyone else had the same problem???
    ---Alicia---

Scolioisis surgery: 6/26/03
    We're coming back bigger and better than ever!
    <3 *NOLA* <3
    Sincere Thanks to all who donated to the hurricane relief funds!

Sleeping on belly

Hi Alicia,

For 42 yrs. I slept on my belly. Since surgery in Feb 2003 I have not been able to sleep on my belly. I now sleep on my side and back. I'm shocked that you can only sleep on your belly. Belly sleeping is uncomfortable now because it puts an arch in my back.

Gail

Comment

Have you investigated the memory foam mattresses. Seems to work like counting sheet for my son!

Vicki

Comment

i just bought the memory foam mattress today as a matter of fact for my daughter who is 5 months post op. She is still not comfortable sleeping in her bed and sleeps on the coach most of the time. I'll let you guys know how it is for her, she hasn't tried it out yet.

Comment

Hi Jennifer, How'd that memory foam work? Susanna
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

do you believe my daughter doesn't like it. She says she doesn't notice any difference and she says it smells LOL. It definitely does not smell and my husband and i sat on it and thought it was great. She slept in her bed the first night we got it and then last night she went back on the couch. The couch we have is not a regular size couch it is very oversized and very wide and she just likes it better. I'm not happy, but what can i do.
            Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear your daughter doesn't like the foam. I didn't have fusion, but I also got a memory foam (mattress) a while ago. I have to say it took me a while to settle into it... but then I loved it. (Also, mine definitely smelled. That wore off after a few weeks.) Maybe if you keep it around your daughter might try it again some time....

Take care.
              Laura
              30y/o
              Upper curve around 55
              Lower curve around 35

Comment

hi laura
                that is so funny that you said that yours smelled. I thought she was just saying that because she'd rather sleep on the couch. I will then keep it around. I was thinking about returning it, but i won't. Maybe she'll like it after a while.
                thanks so much for writing
                Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

I should have warned you. They definitely smell when you first get them, and it takes a few days to go away. Put the pad over a chair so the air can circulate around it. Also, I should mention we doubled over a queen sized pad for my daughter, because she wanted a bed that was extra squooshy.

Susanna
                  Susanna
                  ~~~~~~
                  Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Jennifer,

My memory foam mattress topper also smelled. I would let it sit out for a few days then give it another try.
                    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                    Fused T2 to sacrum
                    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I never heard of a memory foam mattress before being a member of this forum. Do they fit on top of the mattress or is it a mattress? Where can someone buy it and anything special to look for?

Lynn

Comment

i am laughing reading everyone's posts about the memory foam smelling. That is really funny. I really didn't believe my daughter. I will take it off the bed tomorrow and air it out. It has a cover that goes on it, does anybody else have that? I guess i should wash that now since the smell is probably on there, but i don't want it to shrink.
                        Susanna,
                        That was a good idea to get a queen size and double it. I thought it would be thicker then it is.
                        thanks everyone
                        Jennifer

Comment

Lynn...

You can get both mattress toppers and entire mattresses, and a variety of kinds from "egg-crate" types to memory foam. Susanna and Jenn might be able to tell you what store they got theirs. I was desperate after a lot of pain and went straight to the Tempurpedic company. I have no idea if that company is truthfully better than others, but their customer service has been good. You can definitely get a lot of brands online or in mattress stores.

Jenn - my mattress has a cover, but I haven't washed it yet because I can't lift the mattress to get it off! Mine says it is _not_ supposed to shrink... but I am concerned about that too...

Laura
                          30y/o
                          Upper curve around 55
                          Lower curve around 35

Comment

Jennifer, I didn't wash my cover. Like Laura said it's so heavy to move and I just figured oh well.

Lynn, I got my memory foam mattress topper at Sam's. It was somewhere between $100 and $150. I know that I have also seen them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and also Cosco's. We already had an egg crate but this is so much better!!!!
                            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                            Fused T2 to sacrum
                            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Tempur-pedic pads are way too much money. There are a couple of good places online. Look for a pad that's at least 3 inches thick, and at least 4 lbs. density. Watch out for shipping costs. Here are a couple of places with good prices and free shipping:

http://www.absolutecomfortonsale.com...oam-topper.htm
                              http://www.myrest.com/items.asp?Cc=TOP&Bc=

Susanna
                              Susanna
                              ~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X