Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful surgeries

Hi everyone,

Was wandering if anyone new anyone that has had a good outcome with surgeries as an adult with no major pain. Also, when you have surgery, are you able to eventually drive again and live by yourself?

Thanks,
    becky

Hi Becky...

My surgery was definitely successful. Although I had a long recovery, I was relatively pain free for about 8 years. Unfortunately, the first disc below my fusion is now shot, so I have lower back pain again. I was able to drive and live by myself within 5 or 6 weeks of surgery (at age 42).

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had a surgery for Scheuermann's Kyphosis when I was 18 (I'm now 24), and I still live with constant pain everyday. I am able to drive, work, and attend college and live a relatively normal life for the most part.

Comment

I'mm 55, had surgery 4 months ago, can now do most things though still pretty uncomfortable for the next little while. Definitely expect to be better than before the surgery after a year, or however long it takes - seems to vary a lot, but I notice improvements each month,

Lavinia

Comment

sucessful surgery

I'm 34 and had my surgery last April. I had a long hospital stay (13 days). I had to have both anterior and posterior fusion, so it took longer for me to heal since they had to collapse a lung to gain access to my spine from the front.
          I went to rehab for 3 days and then once I got home I was able to climb stairs, and get around my house. I walked every day and then after my first post-op visit (5 weeks post op) I started physical therapy.

I had quite a lot of pain before my surgery and now I have practically none. Everybody is different and I had a lower fusion (T-11-L5). My severe curve was lumbar. It seems most people have a higher fusion.

I started driving 9 weeks post-op, once I was off of the pain meds. It was fine though I was nervous and felt fragile, but it was so liberating to drive again.

I'm almost a year post-op and so far, so good...
          Heather
          Surgery date: April 20, 2004
          Anterior/posterior surgery
          Fused T-11 to L-5
          Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
          Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
          Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
          Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I Am 23, And I Just Had Surgery 6 Weeks Ago. I Was Fused From T3-l2. I Was Able To Drive After 4 Weeks, And I Am Doing Really Well Now. I Still Have A Lot Of Pain And Discomfort, But I Am No Longer Taking Any Heavy Pain Meds, And I Am Back To Work At My Office Job. I Can't Pick Up My 2 Year Old Daughter, Which Is Sad, But Hopefully That Will Come Soon.

Comment

Post surgery pain

My surgery was Feb. 8, 05, I am 63, and am two months out. I spent from Feb 8 to 24 in the hospital. I had extensive surgery, Post and ant. There were three surgeons working on me. Recovery seems very long, and very uncomfortable. I was off pain meds after a month, but I have found that this was primarily due to the fact that I was numb on the the left side from the groin to somewhere under the left shoulder blade. At this time, I am taking 2 to four tylenol a day to make it more comfortable. I take 2 in the afternoon if I can't quiet my back by laying down and I take two at night with an ambien to sleep because the achy feeling makes it difficult to nod off. The end of the tunnel does not seem to be in sight. I am very frustrated, and still cry easily as I feel like a burden
              to my husband who does EVERYTHING. Heres hoping the end of the third
              month looks better. Kathleen

Comment

Scary Stuff

Oh Dear...
                I am looking at the big bad surgery in August. I'm just terrified.
                I'm 53 and will have fusion from T6 to L5. Just a 44 degree curve, with a compensary curve, but the stenosis and spurs are making life difficult, and work is down to 32 very hard hours a week, just to keep my insurance. I have a very hard hump on the left side which is muscle trying to compensate. Doc says 2 surgeries, front and back, 4 days apart and 3 weeks of rehab hospital. I'm not sure I'm up to this, but can't go on as I am, with having to maintain employment. I suffer from social anxiety (many years) and some generalized anxiety, and take Lexipro for depression and Provigil for frequent fatigue; modern medicines which I've come to depend on to help keep me afloat. I have a good husband, thank God, and I hope I can share a happy ending with you all come fall.

Sharon
                Dayton, Nevada
                Singing the Blues
                Female 1951
                A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
                Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Comment

Kathleen and Sharon,

Just to let you know that although the surgery and recovery are hard, I have never for a moment regretted having the surgery. I remember what it was like 2 months post-op - I too was terribly uncomfortable, frustrated and low. However, I was in hospital a full month, had pneumonia and other unusual temporary problems, and was on heavy pain medication until I became allergic to it. One reason you might be feeling extra low (Kathleen) is if you came off opiates recently - often people experience a rebound depression, so it might be worth consulting your doctor if you feel this might be happening to you. The thing to remember is it does get better week by week and month by month, but at a rather wobbly rate. And all the older people I have communicated with - up to in their 70s - are really glad a year or so down the line that they went through the surgery, although it is a big deal and the recovery takes longer than anyone expects!

Lavinia

Comment

Kathleen! Don't feel bad!

Kathleen:

You feel bad because your husband is doing everything, and I'm sure it shocked you when you realized how little you could actually do. Let me tell you: I am 33, am in the 5th week of recovery, and my husband does everything, too. He won't ALLOW me to do anything because that could jeopardize my healing, and I don't want to have another surgery again!

I was so shocked at how compromised and fragile my body had become, AS A WHOLE, after the surgery, including the fact that I couldn't walk a few blocks, I couldn't wipe my own rear end after I pooped, for that matter, I couldn't wash properly, either, and I couldn't insert a tampon because I couldn't reach that far! Guess who has been helping me with all this? My husband. Why? because he WANTS to. He loves me and would have it no other way. Your husband may just as well be doing the same for you.

Be joyful. Imagine if we lived in the 1800's. We'd all be the Hunchback of Notre Dame!

Kat

Comment

I've been reading the posts about how the husbands are doing everything for the patients. I think it's a real blessing you have them. I am concerned, however, about how people who live alone handle things after the surgery. I'm 53, live alone, and will be fused from T-2 to the sacrum. Does anyone have suggestions about how to handle these things if you live alone? Thanks.

Comment

Hi Jan...

I've actually known people who came home from the hospital without any help. I think its "doable," but I'd encourage you to find someone to stay with you for at least the first two weeks. After that, you'll hopefully be fine, especially if you have friends bringing meals to you.

You'll almost certainly be restricted from driving for the first few months, and from carrying anything heavier than about 10 lbs, which sort of restricts one from grocery shopping. So, you'll probably need to find someone to help you with your shopping chores for awhile.

Pets can be a problem. Changing litter for a cat, especilly if the litterbox sits on the floor, can be very difficult. And, if you have a dog, you won't be able to take it for a walk if it pulls on a leash. Also, picking up poop can be difficult.

Beyond that, you'll hopefully be able to handle things on your own. Many hospitals discharge their patients with some tools to help with everyday activities such as bathing.

Good luck!

Regards,
                        Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda! That information is very helpful.

Comment

Post-op needs

One of the best things I did was go to a rehab hosp for 2 weeks post -op. It's usually covered by most insurance. A few weeks stay can make you house-ready especially if you are alone. I was supplied with grabbers, raised toilet seats, a walker and a cane. I used these things for a short time during recovery. They taught me how to take care of myself and protect my back. Pain control was superb. I had the option of staying longer but we hired a day housekeeper through a local church because my husband was still working. She was able to take me out for walks and do heavy housework. If I were alone I would have stayed 4 weeks in rehab. If rehab is chosen, hosp discharge can come sooner and rehab is more cheerful than a hospital.

My surgery was successful but the recovery WAS long. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am working and essentially pain free.
                            Karen
                            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I had a very successful surgery at the age of 20, fusing T2 to L1. I wasn't allowed to drive for nearly two months (dr said no driving for 6 weeks, but it was a Michigan winter time, so getting around outside without slipping and falling was a pretty daunting task), but was able to pretty much get around the house, shower, shave, etc... within a month of surgery completely on my own.
                              Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                              Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                              Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                              Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                              February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                              September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Working...
                              X