New problems for old surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New problems for old surgery

My wife, 55 years old, had her spine fused when a teenager. Now she has chronic muscle pain, and first signs of ostioporosis. Because of the curve in her spine, her lowest rib barely clears her hip.

The problem is that we can't find anyone who deals with patients at this stage in their life, and all the info I am finding is for those about to undergo or recently having undergone surgery. Even figuring out what are the correct exercises for her to do in her workouts has been impossible. So we are looking for advice on where to find information and to whom to speak. We live in central NJ. Thanks.

DR. OHENEBA BOACHIE-ADJEI at Hospital for Special Surgery is one of the best scoliosis/revision surgeons known. I have listed his contact information:

Hospital for Special Surgery
    East River Professional Building
    523 East 72nd Street
    New York, NY 10021
    Tel: 212.606.1948

There are numerous postings on this site where they have had him as their surgeon with wonderful feedback. I had two visits with him. Fortunately I did not have to have revision surgery but if I had, he would absolutely have been the surgeon I would have done the procedure. Hospital for Special Surgery is remarkable. I had part of my rod removed there and the care is by far the best. Since you are from New Jersey (so am I), I would highly recommend you make an appointment with him. Good luck! LYNN
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

One more thing, and most important, he does deal with older patients as I am 50. I read on this site a women in her 60's had surgery by him. Things have come a long way since we were younger. Once again, good luck. LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Many thanks for the reference. I will pass it to my wife.

Comment

Working...
        X