extension rod surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extension rod surgery

Hi! I'm new to this site and thought I'd give it a try.
    My daughter (age 9) is going in for surgury in June. She will be having an
    extension rod surgery. If anyone has had children who have had this done,
    I'd like to hear your experiences. I had a fusion when I was 11 and the
    outcome was excellent. Luckily, my 7 yr. old son, who's wearing a brace for his, has actually reversed and his curve is better. With two positive outcomes
    I hoping for a third. Thanks, Emily

Hi Emily and Welcome!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by extension rod surgery. I'm assuming it is either a growing rod or VEPTR device. Either way, they are rods placed to support the spine without being fused into place. The rods are lengthened as the child grows. Is this similar to what you are referring to?

My son, Braydon (age 9) has two VEPTR devices. He had his placement surgery at age 6. He has had expansion surgeries every 6 months since then, with the latest surgery last Monday (Mar. 21). I'd be happy to share our experiences with you. Braydon has had a successful outcome, improving his lung function (from 46% to 75%) and stabilizing his spine.

I wish you the best. I'd love to hear from you and hear about your scoliosis experiences. Two of my three children have scoliosis. You can email me at boulderfam@hotmail.com if you'd like.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

My doctor has just used the term "extension". But you are referring to what I ment. Thanks, Emily

Comment

Working...
      X