Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a rod stunt your growth?

Hello everybody,
    I was woundering does a rod stunt your grwth? does it keep your back from growing any further?
    Thanks Risa
    Risa the mother of a 11 year old girl. She has CP, Coritcal visual impairment, non verbal, non mobile, total spinal fusion with 4 screws at the base. God's blessing

Hi Risa...

When the spine is fused properly (with or without the rod), it cannot grow within that area. So, yes, it can stunt your growth. Usually it's not a big problem unless a large number of vertebrae are included in the fusion.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

The fusion is what keeps your back from growing any farther. I don't know how tall I would have been but I'm barely 5 feet tall now and I had my first fusion surgery around 11. But you know what? Short people are little and almost everything little is cute, so we short people are set for life :-P
      Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Hi Risa,
        The way our consultant put it was that Genevieve would be better off with a spine that was shorter, but straight.

Lorrie

Comment

I was 5'4" before my surgery at age 11, post- op I was 5'6".
          Today I'm almost 5'9". My torso may be shorter than it should be,
          but my legs kept on growing. Emily

Comment

Littleone,

My mom always told me that good things come in small packages.

Mary Lou

Comment

Thanks Everybody,
              You know I was just a little concerned about her being deformed because of it, but thats the least of our problems I do want her back stright. She looks so uncomfortable all the time she can't even sit right anymore. Risa
              Risa the mother of a 11 year old girl. She has CP, Coritcal visual impairment, non verbal, non mobile, total spinal fusion with 4 screws at the base. God's blessing

Comment

Risa,

Alex's doctor said that the other growth plates in the body take over!? Not sure, but I am assuming Alex will continue to grow since he is only 12.

Lura

Comment

It does unfortunately.

Comment

Hi,

My daughter was 5' tall before surgery, and 5'3" after, so yes, the fused part of her spine won't grow, but she gained 3 inches in half a day. Not a bad trade!
                    Susanna
                    ~~~~~~
                    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

My daughter gained less than 1/2 inch after surgery. She was hoping for at least an inch (she really wanted 3 inches,but would have settled for 1 inch) but really gained nothing. Since most of her back is fused, I'm sure the only chance she has of growing is from her arms and legs. Keep your fingers crossed that Jamie keeps growing as her 12 y.o. sister had already passed her in height.

Mary Lou

Comment

I didnt notice the difference

Before I had my surgery 3 years ago, I was 5'5, and now I am 5'11 1/2. I only have 2 vertibre that are not fused, so I couldn't really notice the difference. I gess it will depend on how many vertibre will end up being fused. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Chrissi
                        Christine Workman

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissi
                          Before I had my surgery 3 years ago, I was 5'5, and now I am 5'11 1/2. I only have 2 vertibre that are not fused, so I couldn't really notice the difference. I gess it will depend on how many vertibre will end up being fused. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Chrissi
                          I am a 13-year-old girl. I once had severe scoliosis, and it two spine fusions to treat it (the first attempt was unsuccessful). I am now fused from the top of my spine to L4 (so I have one unfused vertibra). I am about 5'2" in height. I'm amazed at your story. Will my torso still grow "wider"? In which other ways may I grow taller? How do children with fused spines develop as they get older? Anyone's experiences/knowledge/opinions on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Don't forget Punkette, even when the torso can't grow, you can still grow in your legs, and gain some height

"How do children with fused spines develop as they get older?"

Really depends on how old you were when the fusion was done, and what fusion was performed (ie Anterior only, posterior only, or an Anterior and Posterior fusion)

Alison

Comment

Working...
                            X