Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

impact of surgery on very active physical life??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impact of surgery on very active physical life??

My partner is 50 and leads a very active physical life. She danced professionally in her 20's and 30's, works out every day, participates in many sports and cherishes this lifestyle. She currently is in tremendous pain from 45 degree scoliosis and is facing an L3,4 maybe L4,5 fusion to T11. Are there dancers or athletes who have faced this kind of surgery?? How much loss of flexibility did they experience with this kind of correction. How much movement did they lose. What activities did they have to curtail. The more detail the better. Thank you
    Last edited by Peter Davis; 12-16-2003, 12:30 AM.
    Peter

Hi Peter...

Although your partner will have to be sedate for about a year post-op in order to obtain a solid fusion, she should be able to participate in most things once she's recovered. Her fusion will be relatively short, so although she may lose some flexibility, she may not notice much difference.

The newsletter of the Scoliosis Association Inc has profiled several dancers, including Erin Haney would is Miss Georgia 2003.

Best of luck to both of you.

Regards,
    Lind a
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi, Linda,

Is there a webbsite for the Scoliosis Association, Inc. that you mentioned above. I am particularly interested in reading the profiles of dancers. Many, many thanks!

Comment

Hi Paulasue...

The website for the Scoliosis Association is:

http://www.scoliosis-assoc.org/

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I'm curious about skiing and horsebackriding and tennis even after a year I may have a long fusion T12 to L5 ..my husband is afraid I'll be so stiff and won't be able to do anything..I told him I can't do any now because of the pain.
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism
          complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
          increasing pain at the T4/5
          point irratation heardwear

Comment

Hi Connie...

In terms of scoliosis surgery, T12-L5 is actually relatively short. I think you'll find that during recovery, you'll feel fairly stiff. You really won't be able to tell until you're about a year post-op, how much (if any) flexibility you'll lose. I have a longer fusion (T4-L3). Although I did lose some flexibility, I was actually surprised by how little it was.

If you haven't already been told, activities such as skiing and horseback riding are probably going to increase your likelihood of damaging discs above and below your fusion. We each have to decide whether the rewards outweigh the risks.

Regards,
            Linda

Comment

Hi Linda,

Just to let you know how I still don't understand what's going on......It must be higher the fusion ....b/c my curve is a right thoracic 53. I've been reading and researching..I guess I forgot what he said

so maybe the surgeon ment T1 but I'm sure he said 4 or 5 on lumber

anyway the nightmears are beginning
              CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
              fused T4 -L3
              Hip graft
              Grown 1 1/2 inches
              25/o upper T 15/o
              53/o T 15/o
              37/o L 6/o
              Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
              New York City

August 6, 2004
              Pulmonary Embolism
              complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
              increasing pain at the T4/5
              point irratation heardwear

Comment

Connie,
                I wish you the best of luck. My fusion was from T8-L2 left thoracic curve that was 56 degrees. My surgery was Feb. 17th and I am doing fairly well. Although, I do have a 12-13 inch scar on my back, in terms of scoliosis fusions the drs considered this a short fusion also. I hope all goes well. Good luck!

Angel

Comment

Working...
                X