Rib Hump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib Hump

Hi everyone. First I would like to say how wonderful it is to be able to talk to other people about scoliosis who actually know what it is all about and what you are or have gone through.

I had surgery in Dec. 1990 at the age of 24. I have to say that since then I have never felt better. Before the surgery, I could literally feel my body twisting a little more every day. I experienced some discomfort after the surgery, but not much pain. The pain medication made me sick, so I was on extra strenght tylenol for a few days after. I had my upper spine fused. It was at about a 50% curve, which until coming on to this site I thought was pretty high. It is now under 25%, but I have been left with a rib hump.

You would think that the surgery would be done and that would be the end of it, but no. Does anyone have any ideas about dealing with the rib hump? I wear a lot of baggy clothes, but I can't remember the last time I went out in public, or even in my own back yard with a bathing suit on.

I guess I shouldn't whine about it, but I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences they could share. It's comforting to know that someone else can relate to this. None of my friends know about the rib hump. I tell them I don't want to go out in a bathing suit (or anything tight fitting) becuase I am overweight. Sure, I could shed 10 or 20 pounds, but that's not the reason, nor is the full lenght scar down my back.

Thank you to anyone that is listening.

Hi Nancy...

There is a surgery, often performed as part of scoliosis surgery here in the U.S., called a thoracoplasty. (I think it's called a costoplasty in the U.K.) Small sections are removed from each of the ribs involved in the rib hump. The ribs grow back together over time, but in a much flatter form. The results can be pretty phenomenol. I don't know if it's available to you in Canada.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Wow, thanks Linda. I wish I knew about this ten years ago or more. I am almost 40 now, and have a 6 year old daughter. The thought of going through more surgery is none too appealing, but it's good to know there are options. Is there anyone out there that has gone through this surgery? I was told after my fusion 15 years ago, that in about 25 years (ten years from now) I would have to get my lower spine done as well. My Dr. wanted me to have as much mobility as possible while I was still (relatively) young.

I would like to to hear more about the rib hump surgery, so if anyone knows more about it please let me know.

Cheers,

Nancy

Comment

Hi Nancy...

Here are some pretty good references:

http://www.iscoliosis.com/treatment-...acoplasty.html
        http://www.curvedspine.com/sample2.htm

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X