Walking After Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking After Surgery

I've been a member of this forum for a few days and find it a wonderful source of info. My proposed surgery is from T4-L3. I've been doing some research and reading everything the surgeon has given me, but I'd like to hear from people who have actually gone through this.

Do you need assistance with walking after leaving the hospital? If the sacrum isn't involved will a walker or a cane be necessary? I'm 56 years old and reasonably active right now.

Lynn

Hi Lynn...

I think it depends on your doctor and how you're doing after surgery. I mostly hear that doctors don't want their patients using walkers or canes post-op for any length of time, because they can cause the patient to lean in one direction.

I had surgery at age 42 (T4-L3 like you). I only used a walker for the first 3-4 days while in the hospital.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

after surgery

Hi Lynn,
      In the hospital, your usually medically assisted when you start to get out of bed and walk....I remember the PT would come by day 2 or 3 and we would take a walk up and down the corridor..my great accomplishment was when I walked up and down a flight of stairs..thats when they knew I was ready to go home...When I came home it was very very slow....It was a project to get up the stairs,,..and once I was up in my bedroom I stayed there untill it was necessary to come down...Take your pain meds as needed, they help loosen you up so you can walk...I did not need a walker and some days I wish I had a cane but the days turned into weeks and before I knew it , I was in and out of my house and driving.....I did get a hospital bed when i got home ; that helped me tremedously....It's very hard at first to get from a lying down position to a sitting position...and vise versa...Good luck...feel free to ask other questions...
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

I had T2-T12 done in a double stage fusion 4 months ago, age 55. I didn't have problems walking except weakness, but another patient used a walker for a couple of days only.

Best of luck,

Lavinia

Comment

Working...
        X