Braydon's surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braydon's surgery

Just a quick note to let everyone know that Braydon had surgery again on Monday, March 21. He had his 7th VEPTR expansion surgery. They expanded the two rods he has in his back to allow for more growth. The expansion usually means about 1cm improvement in length/height of the rods, but it also means more volume for his chest. We had a great pain management plan set for him, so his recovery this time was smooth and uneventful - the best yet! He was released from the hospital on Tuesday. He was sad that he didn't get to stay another day (like he typically does) so we had to bribe him to get him out the door... silly kid.

In the past, Braydon has had a problem with muscle spasms that cause sharp, intense pain. This time we stayed on top of that type of pain with Valium. It seems to have worked very well so far. The last time he needed a dose of Valium was Wednesday morning... pretty good for him.

Thanks to those who sent well-wishes for Braydon's surgery. Surgery almost seems like it should be routine by now, but, it is still surgery. 17 surgeries and counting... I'm grateful that Braydon has such a great attitude about his body and having surgery. He takes it all in stride - as part of his life. I look forward to updates from those who are recently out of surgery, and those facing surgery. Know I'm sending my best wishes your way!
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

hi carmell
    i'm glad to hear everything went well with the surgery. I didn't even know he was going in. Wow, 17 surgeries. For how many years will he need to have this done and how long does it take for him to recoup now at home?
    Jennifer

Comment

Hi Carmell,

Glad things went so well - 17 is an awful lot of ops.

Lorrie

Comment

Many hugs to you, Carmell. I admire you and your strong young man. Yes he is famous! Congrats on the news article. Weston goes tomorrow for another x-ray and to see if he needs to continue bracing or if surgery is warranted. I now have my list. Thank you for all your help.
        Miranda

Comment

Jennifer - Braydon has *only* had 10 back surgeries (LOL - 1 a/p fusion, 1 tethered cord release and 8 VEPTR surgeries). The other 7 surgeries have been for other things (i.e., 4 clubfoot repairs, 2 renal surgeries and a tonsil/adenoidectomy). He will continue to have surgery every 6-8 months until he reaches skeletal maturity (age 16-18-19...). His recovery this time has been the smoothest yet. We had a great pain management plan which helped tremendously. His biggest problem after surgery is getting his GI system back to "normal". We're still working on that. Braydon had a fun weekend (going to his favorite army surplus store, "hiding" in the grass in his new camo outfit, hunting Easter eggs, etc.). The last time he needed pain medicine was Thursday. And that was just Motrin. He went to school for a half day today. He'll probably be ready to go a full day tomorrow.

Miranda - good luck today! I hope you get good news about Weston. Let me know what you find out.
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Carmell, I am so glad to know that all went well! How is Braydon feeling this week? Many hugs to the both of you! You two are my admiration!
            SARAH ~Mother of 3~ 11 year old son had a Posterior Spinal Fusion on March 17, 2005. He had a 77*, right thoracic curve, and was fused T4-L1. His curve is now less than 10 degrees* He is doing great!

Comment

Working...
            X