Try this....I'm curious as to the results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try this....I'm curious as to the results

Try this experiment for me and let me know the results.

Take your thumb and try to bend it towards the inside of your arm. Does your thumb touch your arm?

Pat, a member on this forum told me that she was told that people with Scoliosis can touch their thumb to their arm. She tried it with her family and so did I. We both got the same results....those with Scoli could do it and the rest of us couldn't!

Mary Lou

Mary Lou,
    That is an interesting experiment. All three of the girls can do that, their dad can, and I can't. Maybe the scoli comes from his side. I assumed it was my side because my nephew has scoli too. All three of the girls have scoli. But, then it could of come from both sides and just skipped me.

I hope this helps on your information. I think it is pretty interesting.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Mary lou,
      That is crazy. I don't live with my family but I'm going to have to try that one. I always thought I could do that trick because of my Charcot Marie Tooth Diease, I have skinny pliable hands. Here is another trick to see if anyone can do. Left hand out palm up, right hand up to your knuckles placed on top of left with right arm elbow up. Now if you try to bring you elbow down and keep your fingers straight then I get my wrist at what looks like a breakable angle. Anyhow, that has nothing to do with determining scoliosis but it's fun to watch people reactions. I'm really interested what the results are with your test!
      Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Nikki,
        Like you I thought it was interesting. I'll ask my husband if he can do it when he gets home. I hope your girls are doing well.
        I just got some good news--Tracy just got back from the doctor's for her yearly check-up and at this point there is no sign of Scoliosis! She hasn't started her period yet, so I will still be very watchful. I was nervous since Jamie was diagnosed at her 12 y.o. check-up.

Littleone,
        Okay, here's another thought for you---did you know your scoliosis could be caused by CMT? In my husband's family there are about 4-5 generations affected with CMT and I was looking up something one day about CMT and found that Scoliosis is sometimes a side effect of CMT. I mentioned this to my daughter's doctor and he strongly believes that her Kyphoscoliosis is caused by CMT. She will be seeing a neurologist in June to be tested for CMT. Of all the family members with CMT, Jamie is the only one with Kyphosis and/or Scoliosis.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary lou,
          I actually did know that CMT and Scoliosis were related. It's funny because I have had many people tell me that they are not related but I have talked to many doc's about this possibility and I have been told since I was 8 that their was some kind of connection, they just don't know all the facts yet :-) Well, that's why they call it a practice right! My current curve after 4 surgeries is 75% with a 25% kyphosis curve above my fusion. They are hopeing that I will not develop any more of a curve above the fusion or I will have to have surgery yet again. I believe that under normal circumstances since I'm 24 they wouldn't be to concerned with any progression but because of weakening muscles and such they have to check me every 6months to 1 year. My dad has CMT and is just now getting the gene test to see which one he has. They had never diagnosed him until I was 8 and we realized he had some of the same hand and feet problems I did. I'm in the process of finding a neurologist here that knows anything about CMT (and it's proving diffucult) so that I can have the gene test to see which one I have too.
          Last edited by Littleone1016; 03-24-2005, 03:44 PM.
          Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

I cannot bend my thumb that way and never could.
            Karen
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I was told that most people with idiopathic scoliosis can do it because they have more elastin in their collagen, making them more flexible than most.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I can't, I've just tried it on both hands.

Comment

I just tried it on both hands, and I can do it on both of them
                  ~*Lauren*~
                  Braced for 5 months
                  Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
                  Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
                  Surgery on April 26th 2005
                  Fused from T3-L4
                  Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

mary lou
                    My Nicole does this all the time
                    {looked mom can you do it}
                    Theresa
                    THERESA

Comment

My daughter can do it, but my husband (with mild scoliosis) and me (with no scoliosis) could not. Cool experiment!
                      Susanna
                      ~~~~~~
                      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Tried in on everyone else in the house....know this breaks the theory, but the only one who can do it in my house is my sister, and she definetly doesn't have scoliosis

Alison

Comment

Mary Lou,

Hmmm... you may have stumbled on to something here Do you think this could be a new screening method ?

Celia

Canadian eh
                          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Mary Lou,

I can not do it.

Gail

Comment

hi marylou
                              that is an interesting experiment. I'm not sure if i'm doing it right. You said bend the thumb back to touch the wrist?? Am i the only one that wasn't sure what to do? I feel so dumb LOL. Let me know because i'm not sure if i was doing it right and i have scoliosis so i'm curious to see what happens
                              Jennifer

Also what is CMT??

Comment

Working...
                              X