7 weeks post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 weeks post-op

I went for my 2 month post op visit yesterday and things are progressing well. I was told that I need to be out of bed much longer than I currently am though. My doc said that I could rest in the recliner while wearing my brace...obviously, he's never worn one of these things!

One piece of not so good news is that the spot where I had a dissolving stitch at the top of my back incision, may be infected. (WARNING...GRAPHIC) It had been scabbed over since I was in the hospital and then late last week, the scab came off and the area was leaking some fluid. My doc removed the dissolving stitch and then he stitched the area with regular stitches. He said that if the area did not close up in the next week, I would have to go back to the operating room and they would open the top few inches of the incision to be sure that the infection has not gotten down to the hardware. This was really hard for me to hear since I am so terrified of anything having to do with surgeries and the last thing I want to do at this point is go through another one! Please pray for me that all goes well and this spot heals on it's own within the next week......
    Last edited by HGD24; 04-06-2005, 12:00 PM.

Hi Heidi...

I'm glad to hear that things are going well. I'm sure it's scary, but as far as complications go, a small infection is a pretty easy one. I've had several incisions in the past that were closed with dissolving stitches. In almost every case, my body rejected one or two of them, and the problem resolved as soon as the stitches came out. I hope that's the case with yours.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for your note Linda. I don't know what I would do without you and this board!!! I'm sure this is just a surface infection and that the doctor was giving us worse case scenario, but it's still a scary thought to have in the back of my mind until we go back next week and find out for sure. My husband later told me that the doctor pushed on the areas around the opening and that no fluid came out and that that is a good sign, so here's to hoping...(keeping my fingers crossed) for good news next Wednesday!

Comment

post-op

Hi Heidi. I remember a few weeks after my surgery I noticed a really tiny hard lump right next to my scar (in the front near my stomach) and called my doctor. He said it was a bit of the dissolving stitch that did not yet dissolve. I was all paranoid about it, but it eventually went away. It seems that your infection is a small one and I am sure will heal. Hang in there!
        Heather
        Surgery date: April 20, 2004
        Anterior/posterior surgery
        Fused T-11 to L-5
        Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
        Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
        Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
        Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Heather! I had my mother-in-law look at the area yesterday (she's a nurse) and she said that it looks like it's healing beautifully, so that has made me feel sooo much better about the whole situation. It's just so scary to think that the infection could spread to the hardware and then into the bone matter and cause all kinds of problems. Hopefully, I'll know for sure Wednesday that all is well....

Comment

Yay!!!!!

Visited my doctor yesterday and he said that the area looks great! I'm going back on Monday to have the stitches removed!!! He said that I'm not totally out of the woods because an infection can happen at any time, but he was really pretty optimistic!

Also, just wanted to share that within the past week, I have begun to get around alot more, stay out of bed a lot longer and feel a lot better in general. I'm not really feeling any pain at this point, just stiffness, but mostly at night. I'm feeling much more like myself again and should be going back to work within the next few weeks! It's weird how it seems like you just wake up one day and feel incredible!

Comment

Heidi,

Glad to hear about the difference. It makes me a little less nervous about having the surgery done.

Lynn

Comment

Heidi, I am so glad to hear you are feeling like you turned a corner!! Let us know how it goes and also when you go back to work. Take care ~Laura
                30y/o
                Upper curve around 55
                Lower curve around 35

Comment

7 weeks post op

Hi Heidi...glad to hear your scar is fine and not infected. I was looking at my old date book from a year ago (I had my surgery last April) and I documented that at 8 weeks post op is when I was off of the pain killers totally. That was sometime last June. I timed my surgery so I would have the whole summer to recover (I work in a school).
                  That's great that you're up and moving around more. I had gone to rehab before coming home and they made sure I moved around. Once I was home, my parents or in-laws would stop by and walk with me outside. I was also going for physical therapy 2-3 times a week. I really noticed a turning point for the better about 3 months after the surgery. I also had a brace that I had to wear during day when I moved around, but took it off to sleep at night.

Isn't it nice to start feeling normal again?
                  Take care and let us know when you go back to work!
                  Heather
                  Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                  Anterior/posterior surgery
                  Fused T-11 to L-5
                  Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                  Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                  Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                  Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Well, I had my stitches removed yesterday and by 11:00pm, the area had re-opened and looked just like it did 2 and half weeks ago. I have an appt. with my doctor tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty sure he's going to send me back into surgery to be sure that the infection has not made it's way to the hardware and into my spine. I've never felt so many emotions at once....I spent the entire night being scared, mad and wondering why this is happening to me. I'll get the definite word tomorrow, but the last thing I want at this point in my recovery is to go in for another surgery, even if it is a small one and I'll most likely be home that night....it's just so disheartening right now when things have finally started to go so well for me...

Comment

Heidi...

I'm so sorry. Although it's more surgery, I want to assure you that it's not really very bad. A friend of mine had to have 3 surgeries to clean up her infections. She told me they were all a piece of cake compared to the original surgery.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they feel they can clean up your infection without removing the implants.

Regards,
                      Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda,

Was your friend's recovery set back any by her other surgeries? That's what I'm worried most about right now. My Thorocotomy site is still a bit sensitive but healing really well and I'm afraid that being in surgery on my stomach again might aggrevate my ribs and make them more sore than they already are and that it might also make my shoulder blade area more sore as well.

Comment

Hi Heidi...

It didn't set her back in terms of pain at all. It did set her back in terms of loss of energy.

--Linda

Comment

Going back in for surgery....

Well...it's official...I'm going in for surgery tomorrow afternoon. Should only take a 1/2 hour. I could be in the hospital anywhere from 24 to 48 hours afterwards depending on what the doctor finds. Here I was all ready to go back to work on Monday...guess that's on hold for a couple more weeks eh?

Linda...thanks for the info on your friend. It's good to know that she wasn't set back in her recovery, just that she needed to get her energy level back. That makes me feel a little better about going back in. Also, I'm going to a different hospital, so hopefully, I won't have any flashbacks

Comment

Hi Heidi...

By the way, my friend is in her 60's, and she had multiple organisms, so your recovery might be even faster. Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

Regards,
                              Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X