Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm New my 11 yr old has to have surgery

Hello,

My 11yr old daughter has been diagnosed with scoliosis 6 months ago, I took her back 2 weeks ago for her 6 month follow up appt, and her scoliosis has developed so quick they want to do surgery. Her curve went from 30 degrees to 72 degrees in 6 months. I'm very sick about the whole thing. i really hate to put her through this, then on the other hand I cannot let her get all twisted up. Does anybody know or have any children that has had the surgery? They are talking about doing the surgery in April.

Thanks Risa
    Risa the mother of a 11 year old girl. She has CP, Coritcal visual impairment, non verbal, non mobile, total spinal fusion with 4 screws at the base. God's blessing

Hi Risa...

You might be better off posting in the Parents forums:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Risa,

My 12 year old son (who has Down syndrome) is having scoliosis surgery on March 29 in Spokane, WA. His curve progressed rapidly between April and December (27 degrees to 43). Your daughters is much further. Anyway this is a great site. A lot of children have recently had the surgery and the mom's are providing great information.

Welcome and read as many of the threads as possible!

Lura

Comment

Risa,

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. You've come to the right place for help. My daughter had surgery three months ago, so feel free to ask any questions/concerns you may have. You might want to read some of the other posts. We always have something about what to take to the hospital, what you need at home after surgery, etc. Also there a several kids who have just had surgery in the past week or so and you can read how things are going with them.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi everyone thanks for all your replys. Still trying to figure out how to use this site. Marylou how is your daughter doing? Does she have a rod in her back too?
          How did the recovery go?
          Thanks Risa
          Last edited by Risa; 03-20-2005, 11:37 AM.
          Risa the mother of a 11 year old girl. She has CP, Coritcal visual impairment, non verbal, non mobile, total spinal fusion with 4 screws at the base. God's blessing

Comment

Risa,
            We just got home from the Shriners Hospital with our daughter Crystal. She is doing well as can be expected. She isn't running or jogging, but is moving around. The surgery went well. She has two rods in her back and is fused from T2-L2. She has an 88 degree curve, which the doctor got over a 50% correction in. We will find out what her final curve is when she has her check up in April.

My biggest recommendation is to find a surgeon that specializes in pediatric orthopedic surgeries and a hospital that does the same. We had a wonderful experience at Shriners Hospital. They took the scariest day of my life and made it an incredible experience. Their number one concern is the pain management for your child after surgery. They stay hot on it. The nurses feel that with all the medications they have, there is no reason for any child to hurt or be sick from medications.

Ask any questions you want. Someone will reply to you.

Love and prayers to you.

'til later,
            Nikki

Comment

Risa,

Jamie is doing great. She has a big fusion and has two rods in her back. Her only complaint is her restrictions right now. With the weather getting warmer, it is getting harder and harder for her to comply with her restrictions, such as no riding her bike, no rollerblading, no skateboarding, etc. Physically she is doing great. The change in her appearance is dramatic to say the least. Her recovery from day one wasn't nearly as bad as we were expecting. She returned to school four weeks post-op for half days and by six weeks she was back in school full-time. If there's ever anything else you need, feel free to ask. We are all here for you and your daughter and everyone on this site prays for each other, and trust me, that means a lot.

Mary Lou

Comment

Thanks everyone,
                For replying, I still haven't recieved my date yet. Did any fo your kids have to have a blood transfusen? The docter spoke to us about it being a possibility if so I would like my family and friens to do the donating. I'm so glad your kids went through it fine, this is got to be one of the hardest things to go through. My prayers are with them. Does anybody know a child that is a couple of years passed thier surgery? If so how are they doing? Hows the pain? Thanks and Prayers Risa

Comment

Hi Risa: My daughter (13) had surgery Feb. 15th (T6 to L3) for an "S" curve. She had the rods placed and went from 67 degrees to 29. Her curve moved very rapidly also. She wore a brace for two years. She donated two pints of her own blood and they used one of them during surgery. It's really difficult to come to terms with all of this - no one can stand the thought of their "baby" being put through this but these kids are AMAZING what they can go through and "bounce" back. It's harder emotionally on Mom and Dad. She is doing terrific. Was telling me today she should be able to jump rope - ha-ha - NOT! Hang in there!
                  Melinda

Comment

Hi Risa

I'm six years post fusion surgery as of November 23rd this year. To look at me, you would not know that I've had a spinal fusion, and most of the time I don't really remember I've even had one :-). I would say that I have minute pain (if that), the only time I get sore is if I am exponentially exhausted or after those 3 hour school exams. There's very little I won't do (bungee jumping and sky diving basically being it), or "give it a go at least once", I do more stuff than my sister does whose rodless :-)

Alison

Comment

Thanks agian,You are all such an inspiration to me. we will get through this and move on. This site has been such a help to me already. If you have any suggestion on what to ask and or expect please fill free to let me know.
                      Love and Prayers Risa

Comment

hi risa
                        my daughter is 15 and had surgery 4 months ago and i know it is such a scary thought to have to have them go through this surgery, but if you read all these posts here everyone that is recovering is doing so great. As a parent it is the hardest thing to have to watch your child go through this, but these kids are amazing how quick they recover. Waiting for the surgery is the hardest and most stressful part.
                        feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of. Everyone here is so great
                        jennifer

Comment

Risa,

My daughter didn't need a blood transfusion, but she did receive two units of blood in the O.R. Her doctor wanted her to donate four units, but she was only able to donate two and they gave both units back to her.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Risa,

My daughter had a double major curve and had surgery two weeks ago and she's doing great. I'm curious where you are from and who your surgeon will be?
                            Susanna
                            ~~~~~~
                            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Dear Susannajon,
                              We are from central California, my daughter will be having surgery at Valley Childrens in Fresno, Dr's will be Dr. Halsey And Dr. Gatoni (spelled Wrong) there will be two Dr's. They have a scoliosis unit there, and where are you from and where did your daughter have surgery? Risa

Comment

Working...
                              X