riding the bus after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riding the bus after surgery

just wondering all you guys with post op kids, are they riding the bus to school yet? Nicole had surgery 4 months ago and i have been driving her and picking her up everyday and dr. gave okay for her to ride the bus, but i haven't let her yet, which of course she isn't minding at all, but it just makes me so nervous how bumpy those buses are. I had told the dr. that sometimes when she is leaving the house she will run down the stairs and jump down the last two and he said she shouldn't do that, so i'm thinking that all those bumps wouldn't be good as well.
    any input would be appreciated
    jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I know we've discussed this before, but here's my guess. When she jumps down the steps, the force of landing on her feet is also absorbed by her back and when riding the bus, it is probably different. My husband broke his back while riding his motorcycle. He was standing on the foot pegs when he landed and his back took all the force and he ended up with two compression fractors, which tells you how much force his back took.

As you know Jamie still isn't riding the bus either. Her doctor doesn't want her riding the bus. He doesn't want her changing classes with everyone else either, so that makes sense to me. Jamie is still restricted as far as lifting (no more than 5-10 lbs) and the only restrictions that has been lifted so far is the fact that she is now allowed to bend. All of her restrictions are in place until she is at least six months post-op and sees the doctor again.

Mary Lou

Comment

Not a mom; but can you two post when your girls start riding the bus again? I am scheduled for surgery in August; and have been worried because I have a 30 min car ride and a 20 min bus ride to commute to work. The alternative is a 1hr + car ride
      Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
      Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
      fusion T5-L3
      Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

Jennifer's daughter is 4 months post-op and her doctor has given her permission to ride the bus. I would suggest that you ask your doctor, especially considering how long your car/bus ride will be. I would think you could ride the bus after say, maybe a few weeks post-op. A lot of it will depend on your comfort for that long of a ride. Remember, we are talking about Middle and High school buses which are much more crowded than the bus you would be riding.

I'm sure I could go back and read some of your posts, but I'll just ask instead. What degree is your Kyphosis and your Scoliosis? Jamie's Kyphosis was about 72* and Scoliosis was about 46* before surgery and after about 33* and 14*. She had a great result.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

My daughter had her surgery in Feb. 2003 and returned to school in Apr. 2003.

I drove her to school for a few weeks and then she did ride the bus. The bus ride was short - only about 20 minutes, but she did complain about the bumps every day.

You're right to be concerned. We just didn't have the resources to keep arranging rides every day, so she made it from May through June on the bus.

The next school year she still complained about the bumps, but she got used to it eventually.

She's now a senior and driving her own car, so it's much better.

The suspension on those school buses leaves a lot to be desired.

Wish I had a better answer - it's a problem. Maybe another mom has found a clever solution.

Take care,

Susan

Comment

I can say from my perspective that I'm going to keep my daughter off school buses for the first 6 months. I know how jarring they can be, and I'm just not taking the chance.
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

riding school buses

Hello!

My daughter's 5 months post-op, and since she's been back at school, she's been riding a mini bus, she's the only one on it; they send it right to the school to pick her up, and they bring her right up my very very long driveway and drop her off at my door step. The doctor wrote a special note saying she couldn't go on a regular bus with other kids till the end of the school year. I agree, it's a combination of the big buses, and all the kids on it, pushing and shoving to get off and on. I drive her to school every morning, because her and I go swimming as part of her physical therapy in place of gym/physical education; so she starts school a couple hours late every day. And that's in place till the end of the school year. We've been very lucky with our school; she'll continue to have a tutor come to our house once a week, so she can continue the pt during school time.

pat

Comment

wow, you guys are great. I never thought i'd get so many responses so quick! I think we have an awesome little group here! Well thanks for all the replies and i've made up my mind. She's not riding the bus. I am going to drive her probably for the rest of the year. It isn't worth it chancing anything. I know it's a little inconvient, but it is worth it. Those buses are so bumpy! May at the end of the school year when she is 6 months and if she wants to go on the bus i will have her try it at the end of the day when the buses are already stopped at the school waiting for the kids to all get on. In the morning they just stop at the bus stops and drive away before the kids are even in their seats. I think at the end of the day of school she is less likely getting bumped or falling from the bus moving. Well thanks girls for helping me make up my mind!
                susanna,
                how did she do last night - your first night home?
                jennifer

Comment

I went back to work at 5 months at an elementary school. In December for Polar Express day this year we took the whole school to see the movie in our pj's. About 1100 kids and staff. That also included our custodial and kitchen help! By then I was 8 months postop and didn't think twice about the bus ride until I was on it. It was rough! I sure didn't look forward to the trip back to school. I think I would keep them off the bus for the rest of this school year.
                  Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                  Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                  Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                  Fused T2 to sacrum
                  June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                  MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Jenifer, My daughter did pretty well. She went to bed at 9:00 and woke up about every three hours for pain meds. We just took turns getting up and giving her meds, so a pretty good night. She did well today also. We borrowed a LaFuma chair (the ergonomic mesh chairs that recline) and she's been pretty comfortable in that all day. When it gets to be close to the time for her meds she gets very fidgety and I can tell she's really starting to hurt, but she has been SO brave! Her ribs are very, very sore, and her back is aching a bit. I measure her, and even thought she's a bit hunched over from the pain, she's measuring 5'2 1/2" which is a full two inches taller than before surgery, so that's AWESOME! She has surpassed her mom as the tallests girl in our Hobbit clan.

Susanna
                    Susanna
                    ~~~~~~
                    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

hi theresa
                      you poor thing having to ride back home on the bus after the bumpy ride there! Thank you for writing and i am going to keep her off the bus for the rest of the year.
                      jennifer

Comment

hi susanna
                        sounds like things are going pretty smooth. What pain meds did he send her home on percocet? That chair sounds comfy. That is awesome 2 inches! Well i'm sure you're glad that the worst is over. Do you do your check ups at boachie or someone by you?
                        jennifer

Comment

I went on a school trip about three week ago and boy I wish I wore my sports bra got struck in the back of the bus. So after that I'm driving my nicole back and forth. Her school told me they would sent a van, But I think when shes done with surgery I will drive her.
                          Theresa
                          THERESA

Comment

I was back catching the bus home after 2 months...it was an ordinary school bus with lots of people, but I preferred that over the hour walk home...so did my sister cause she was carrying my bag as well as hers :-)

Alison

Comment

alison
                              did it hurt your back riding the bus?

Comment

Working...
                              X