Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there special seating for classroom use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there special seating for classroom use?

My seven year old son has been in his brace for about three weeks and is doing quite well at home, but is having difficulty sitting in his desk at school. Is anyone familiar with a special desk or chair that might make him more comfortable at school? I think it would help him if there were some type of desk that would allow the brace the hang over the back of the seat.

Thanks!

Hi

Braces and school desks/chairs can be a bit bothersome and uncomfy can't they :-(, I can relate completley, most of my school years were braced :-), I remember it well, unfortunatetly the desk are often too low, and the chair doesn't quite contour to a ridgid back that the brace makes.

I'm kind of writing out loud (writing as I think :-) so it might be a bit over the place what I write, but I hope it helps.

*A good place to get in contact with would be the Independent Living Centre (disability aids and equipment) in your area (not sure what they're called outside Australia), they'd be a source for coming up with ideas to modify the seating/way he is at his desk at school. The local hospital might be able to point you in the direction of where such a facility is.

*Not sure what its like in the USA and the UK, but in Australia, if you're a child with a "disabilty" (which what scoli would come under), the school or the local disability services commison either has to provide, or assist with the cost of any adaptations to the school environment (such as classroom) that might be needed.

*Is the brace, cutting into the tops of his thighs when he sits down?. It might need a bit of trimming

*Something that might help with the comfyness could be an ergonomic chair (computer chair) that has a depth (seat angle adjustment) as well as the normal height adjustment. I found this to be more comfortable when I was sitting at school when I was braced, as it eased the pressure on my legs and on the bottom of my back.

*Is one of his difficulties that he can't bend over quite enough to see his work easily. Something that might help this, would be using an angled surface on the desk to lean on to write. Even something as simple as writing whilst leaning on the file whilst its on its side, can give some assistance in being able to see it more easily. You can get special writing boards, but they're quite bulky and often don't fit on the desk properly

*Is the school desk high enough for him to be comfortable. Could he benifit from having a bit bigger desk/higher desk.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit, I can explain them a bit more if needs be, but I hope they're of some assistance to you, or gives you some food for thought.

Alison

Comment

You might want to talk to the Physical Therapist or maybe even the occupational Therapist at your son's school. Sometimes they have good ideas for modifying equipment.

Comment

I'm sure Carmell can tell you more about this, but there are requirements that the schools have to meet for each child. In other words, they have to work with you to do what is best for your son, whether that means having a special chair in each classroom or allowing him to carry a pillow to class. I suggest maybe calling the school guidance counselor. That is who I dealt with to put the changes in place after my daughter's surgery.

Mary Lou

Comment

Also, if Conner's teacher is aware of the situation you might just talk to her about bringing in a comfortable chair for him. If he is more comfortable with a chair at home or go out and buy one if you can. The teacher and school should have no problem letting Conner use his own chair and keeping it in the classroom for the school year. You can also ask to seat him near an aisle or the back so that if he gets really uncomfortable with sitting (as we all do with a brace) he can stand up in the back of the room and still be paying attention. One last idea, (sorry for rambling) Conner is pretty young still and they might have class time where they have to sit on the floor. Remind you son's teacher that he will need to be sitting in a chair during this time as it is really diffucult to get up and down, and it tends to pinch more if you are sitting on the ground.
          Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

EXTRA SET OF BOOKS - When my daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis eight years, her orthopedic doctor gave her a note for the school to give her an extra set of books for home, this way she didn't have to carry such a heavy backpack. She did this right through high school. The school has to abide by that as it is a medical reason. It is really a great thing as those backpacks are so heavy. Good luck
            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
            2000 Partial Rod Removal
            2001 Right Scapular Resection
            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Hi,

Welcome to the board. My son is 9yrs old and was born with severe congenital scoliosis. I learned a few things very early on... if you are in the USA, there is a federal law that requires all public schools to provide acoommodations for any child who may have physical limitations in order for them to have an equal education. This is called a 504 plan. A 504 plan should be set up at the beginning of each school year. You will need the school principal, the main teacher, a school nurse (if applicable, our school doesn't have their own nurse) and any other adult who will have regular supervision over him to meet with you. At the meeting, you will need to discuss anything that may be needed for him to have an equal education. In Braydon's 504 plan, it states that the school must provide a pillow for the back of his chair (he doesn't wear a brace, but has rod lengthening surgery every six months which means his back is always tender and sensitive); he's allowed to use the toilet when HE needs to (no permission required - sometimes this means working out a system with the teacher so they know where he is at all times, like a paper turned over to indicate restroom use, or a clothespin clipped to a certain sign, etc.); he is not permitted to do any jumping activities or anything that would potentially jar his spine; he is not allowed to lift anything over 5 pounds, etc. etc. etc.

That being said, there are many MORE things Braydon CAN do. Braydon can play on the playground at recess, he can kick the soccer ball with his friends, he can lay on the floor when they play boardgames, he can participate in most PE activities, etc. The purpose of the 504 plan for Braydon is to make the teachers and principal aware of Braydon and his issues (if any) so there are no surprises. I'd rather the school have too much information than risk them coming back and telling me I didn't notify them of something regarding Braydon's health. Some parents choose not to have a 504 plan, in case it "labels" their child. Braydon is in 4th grade and this has NEVER been a problem. No one in the class knows what a 504 plan is, let alone that he has one.

Another suggestion might be to do a small presentation to the class. Have Conner show the kids his brace and help them understand what it means. At the beginning of each school year, Braydon and I take his xrays to the class and show the kids why they can't push Braydon from the back, and why he's always the last one in from recess (crowding through doorways means pushing in the back), etc. Then, Braydon will lift his shirt and show the class his back - then they can SEE what everyone is talking about. We let the kids ask questions and talk about all the things Braydon CAN do. I find that once kids understand and reason "WHY" they are being lectured, they no longer make a big deal of having someone "different" in class. In fact, Braydon fits in like everyone else. Everyone is his friend. They all look out for him and make sure he's okay. They know he misses some school twice a year for surgery, but they are all very supportive of him. Hopefully our good fortune will continue for many years to come.

I wish you and Conner the best!
              Carmell
              mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Wow! What a Great Group!

I apologize for taking so long to reply, but I want each of you that submitted responses to know how much my wife and I appreciate your suggestions and support. Since I am new to this forum I am not quite sure how to acknowledge responses to a post, so I hope this is acceptable.

The information in each of your responses was very helpful. We are currently working with a lady at Conner's school that works primarily with special education students and possibly as a result of that handles the 504 plans for students there. She is currently researching seating options for Conner. This morning I received a call from my wife informing me that the husband of this same individual had made an upholstered bench with padding for Conner to sit on. A minute ago my wife called to let me know that Conner was home from school and commenting on how comfortable the bench was.

I am just amazed at the support we have received! It sure makes this much easier to deal with.

Thanks again,

Conner's Dad

Comment

UK Law

To everyone.

You may have seen many of my posts around and I hope they help neone who reads them.

I just see Carmell's post about USA Law on desks, unlike over here in the UK there isn't a law, and this is mostly because scoliosis is not a common thing to come across here. I also see that there are alot of male scoliosis sufferers in the USA, but in the UK it is a 1 in 5 chance of a boy with scoliosis. With 19 years of X-Rays and braces and casts to my name, i am quite familiar with what most people are going through. Alot of people think will this stunt their childs growth but hey at 6' 1 i'm not complaining. It may be daunting having to wear a cast ot school, but you get used to it, and when i wore a plaster cast for 6 months i was asked to join the rugby team becasue i was so rigid and hard to knock down. For those who wear a removable brace at night it is best to lie on your back for a few nights then try changing positions. I don't what it is but the older you get the more used to them you get, but the heavier your X-Rays files become. If you can seek out a doctor with plenty of experience in the field, but one with adult patients as well as young ones. This way as a child gets older you won't need to change doctors or surgeons. I have known my doctor all my life (Dr Min Mehta), and she is great because she is also a scoliosis sufferer, but infortunately she only does private now, but I don't mind paying for someone i trust.
                  So if anyone wants to talk, then don't hesitate in asking.
                  Thank You
                  Last edited by Marc H; 05-16-2005, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Westons mother is back

Hi there!
                    Last time I visited Weston was wearing a Milwaukee brace. This didnt stop his rapid curvature development. At 54 degrees they decided to insert a titanium growth rod instrumentation last August 9th. He has had two adjustments since then and doing well. He wears a low profile brace to protect his back now which he wears all the time exceptbed. I do think I will ask his school to let him have a pillow to sit on in class, he has a hard time sitting with his brace here at the dinner table. He is at the age where people at school are very curious about his back and the kids wonder why they have to be so careful. I have thought about taking some x-rays to his class and bringing along an old brace they could pass around if they wanted. But Weston is very shy about all this and probalby would be embarassed. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make it easier for my first grader?

Comment

I used to work with blind kids before I quit to stay home with my kids. Anyway, sometimes I would go in and talk to the kids without my blind/visually impaired student with me, so that the kids would feel more free to ask questions that they might not want to ask in front of the blind child. I brought in the special equipment that he used and would Braille up their names and such. I think you could do something similar to that...bring in the x-rays! Kids love that stuff! It would probably help his teacher to understand exactly what she is dealing with too.

Comment

Working...
                      X