PDA

View Full Version : Kinda New Here - Surgery this Summer - Dr. Neuwirth

ripley
12-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Hi everyone. Iím kind of new, its been several years since I posted and I havenít really kept up on reading the forum. I am considering surgery this summer with Dr. Neuwirth and have some questions. Just a little background: Over the past 10 years my curves have progressed from 25 to 70 degrees, I have a listhesis, and stenosis. The pain has increased and my right leg gets very weak (numb?) at times. I have seen surgeons Boachi, Lonner, Errico and Neuwirth in NYC - all of whom concur approx. T2 to Sacrum fusion is necessary. My first choice is Dr. Neuwirth. However, I am a bit concerned because he seems much older. I was wondering if anyone has had surgery with him recently or has any info? I donít think he would perform surgery if he didnít believe he could, but should his age be a concern to me? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

titaniumed
12-13-2016, 01:05 AM
I wouldnít think he would do a full fusion alone....so chances are that he would have another scoliosis surgeon with him.

In my case years ago, it was the other way around, I thought my surgeon was young....I had 2 scoliosis surgeons and a vascular surgeon for my ALIF from the front.

Ed

Back-out
12-13-2016, 01:43 AM
I wouldn’t think he would do a full fusion alone....so chances are that he would have another scoliosis surgeon with him.

Ed

In Spring of 2015, I visited Dr. Neuwirth for the second time (the first seven years ago). Yes, he has an assistant operating with him - probably more than one depending on the patient's specific needs as in Ed's instance.

ripley
12-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Thanks so much for the replies! I figured he might have help, so that's good to know. I just found out that Dr. Lenke is now in NY, so I'm trying to get an appointment with him. I'm worried that I might be right on or below his 70 degree cutoff point though, but I'm going to try. Thanks for the info!

cathydrew
12-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Thanks so much for the replies! I figured he might have help, so that's good to know. I just found out that Dr. Lenke is now in NY, so I'm trying to get an appointment with him. I'm worried that I might be right on or below his 70 degree cutoff point though, but I'm going to try. Thanks for the info!

I vote for Dr. Lonner, I also went to Neuwirth and Lonner seemed more at the top of his game. I'm over the top happy with my results! Merry 🎄 Christmas.

golfnut
12-26-2016, 10:18 PM
I have read good things about Dr. Lonner on the forum, however, I think the world of Dr. Lenke. He might take you since your curve has increased quite a bit over 10 years.

ripley
12-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Thank you Karen, I made an appointment with Dr. Lenke for the end of February. I've seen his name come up here quite a bit and the amount of correction he seems to get is amazing. I wanted to see him before but Minnesota was too far and my curves weren't 70 then. I was excited to learn he is in NY now. (BTW, I watched your golf video and it is very encouraging! You look great - not stiff at all. I've been so worried, but seeing how well you move has helped me to calm down a bit! Thank you!)

golfnut
12-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Ripley,
I definitely have way more flexibility now than that video of my first golf outing. I should post a recent one sometime. I truly could not imagine swinging a golf club with long rods in my back, but it's so much better than I imagined. I know I improved with flexibility even past my second year anniversary. I was unbelievably cautious during my first year, but I think it paid off in the long run.