2 year post op visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 year post op visit

Just had my 2 year post op visit last week. To be honest I can't believe it's only been 2 years because overall I feel near normal in terms of my range of motion. Almost too much infact that I told my ortho I felt as though I had TOO much movement.

On xray, everything still look unchanged as the day my surgeon did the procedure. I ended up getting a PT script since I am having upper thoracic pain which may have more to do with work than anything else, but since I have met my out-of-pocket maximum for the year, may as well benefit from not having a copay...

I attempted to get my surgeon to order a CT scan to check fusion statues but he didn't think it was needed and did not want to expose me to any unnecessary radiation, especially since he didn't see any signs that indicated I wasn't fusing.

So for those of you that are 2+ years out -- how did you KNOW you were fused? or at least be at peace without radiological evidence that you are fused...

I carry a mild fear that I am not fusing properly especially since between post-op month 8 and 14, I was on an experimental chemotherapy. Everyone on my healthcare team deemed it safe and I even found some research study that indicated the particular drug I was on actually promotes bone growth (when used in conjunction with BMP, I did not have any BMP used for my case though).

I do see some evidence of fusion on xray where there used to be bone-chips, are more solid appearing areas, so my surgeon is probably right and I'm fine but still... Help me quiet that voice and tell me I'm ok! haha.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope everyone is well!
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

Great report. Glad you are doing well
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by green m&m View Post
      So for those of you that are 2+ years out -- how did you KNOW you were fused?
      My surgeon told me I was fused by the x-rays at 7 or 8 months. At 10 months, I fell over a rock camping, and did a very hard face slam and for a second thought I destroyed everything my surgeon did with my spine. Of course that wasn’t the case.

So, a series of crashes and falls, and progressive lifting events. I have lifted around 75# just to test things out. I don’t do this much that’s for sure, and have learned what I can lift and how. Its always better to ask for help if possible, I think that we don’t really deserve to have to function as well as the rest of the population......people don’t offer much help anymore since they see me working harder than most 25 year olds setting the work ethic.....

Movement heals and grows bone. If you have desk job, get up often and walk around. I now have to do this for my eyes, not my spine. (smiley face)

We are just like sharks. We have to keep moving......

Sounds like you are doing great!

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment