6-week check up - Going Home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-week check up - Going Home!

Hey, everybody. I had my 6-week check up last Thursday. I got a good report. My hardware is all in place, my sagittal/coronal balance was perfect, my lordosis was normal, my pelvic tilt was normal. I am off ALL meds! Yay! It feels good to let my body start detoxing from all that it has been through....

We loaded all my stuff up Friday morning and drove home - a 5 hour drive. I lasted the first 2 hours sitting in the front seat, then had to switch to laying down in the back. Our Explorer is big enough that my twin mattress fit in back, so I basically was laying in a bed the remainder of the trip. I was really tired from no sleep so I felt good to lay down and just veg to music. By the time we got home I was ready to get out of the car. We did stop 2 times just to get out and stretch my legs.

My surgeon gave me the green light to ride my stationary bike and changed my weight restriction to 20 pounds. But, for now, I just plan to continue with my walking and 10 pounds or less. I'm not ready to be more physical. I need to get my eating more on track and just all-around feeling better physically before I make any changes.

It feels so good to be home and to have crossed "the 6-week mark." I feel lucky that I could stay near my surgeon for that time - and I also feel lucky that, in the end, I didn't need him!

My pain level is fairly low. I to still lay down several times throughout the day to give my back a rest, and at night I still lay on ice packs. I STILL have that terrible thigh pain. I can tell it's fading away, slowly but surely. But, for the most part, I can't complain.

My hip flexors are still fairly "stiff" so I still need to use my gripper & shoe horn for getting dressed and picking things up off the floor. But, I'm good with that! I don't mind using aids if it means I can be more independent.

I do have to admit: I tried on some of my clothes that I would never wear because I was too self conscious of my rib hump on my back and my ribs sticking out in front. They fit! It has been at least 20 years since I've had normal lordosis and a normal torso - so I'm excited to actually look "normal."

Anyway, just letting you know I'm home and feeling pretty good. Hopefully I won't have any setbacks.

Kathy
    Decompression surgery L4/L5
    April 3, 2015
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
    June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
    After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
    2 inches taller

great to hear and glad the trip home went well. Do be careful yet. I know you've come far but you do have a way to go. Yes the clothes issue. I remember the first time I put on a shirt with horizontal stripes and they weren't crooked.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Hi Kathy,

What terrific news! You are well on your way to recovery now! That first check-up is so important and I am so glad you did so well. Getting home will feel great and you likely will start doing more than you thought you could. I actually like doing laundry right now, I makes me feel like the old me. I drag the baskets down the hall with my grabber and use the grabber to load it in. Now the dishwasher is a different story, the lower rack is so low down I can't get to it. I have heard to people sitting next to it to load which I haven't tried.

I am still taking forever to fall asleep, last night the clock said 12:34am and I had gone to bed at 10. Hoping this improves. My best friend came yesterday to visit and it was so great to see her and catch up. My kids were all out of the house and I felt do happy. I have had crying jags all week because of my vision problems and what my future will hold. I don't want to lose sight (lol) that my surgery turned out great, my bestie could not get over how straight my back is and how my torso looks long. It really is better than I could have ever imagined!

That is so great you are off your pain meds! I am still needing 1-2 doses a day because of this knife-in-my-lower back feeling that gets worse later in the day. What did your doctor say about PT? I think it is good you are taking it slow and listening to your body. It is such a big surgery we had!!!

Happy day
      Jana
      Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis at age 11
      Dr. Edgar Dawson of UCLA
      Braced and "stopped" below 50 degrees
      Age 25: 47 degrees, 48 degrees
      Age 38 (3 babies later): 60 degrees, 63 degrees and 2.5 inches shorter
      Age 41: 64 degrees, 70 degrees
      Dr. Gregory Mundis Jr. of Scripps Hospital, La Jolla CA
      June 2015-ALIF on L5-S1 for a slipped and degenerated disk
      June 14, 2016-T4-L4 spinal fusion with instrumentation
      Post-surgery: 16 degrees, 12 degrees and 2 inches taller

Comment

congrats kathy
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

Kathy, Congratulations!

(Old man, Minnesota accent)
          It’s a good thing you didn’t have a vinter surgery you kno?..... Otherwise you would have to ride in the back of the the Snocat all the way back from East Dakota.....That would have been a really bumpy ride, you kno? Oh Yaaa.... You don’t want to break the rods in the snocat, that’s noo good. Nooo.....You could put the skates on and hang onto the rope, but the doctors want you walking, not skating. Yaaa.....And it gets really tricky around NoTippiecanoe, Iowa, with patients tipping over....that’s noo good. They added No to the town’s name, but it hasn’t helped. Oh Yaaa. The experts mentioned something about us being so close to the North Pole and magnetism pulling us over, I’m just so glad you made it home safe. Oh Yaaa....

(smiley face)

You made it

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Congratulations, Kathy! You sound like you are doing really well. Even though we don't go through the surgery for cosmetic reasons, it certainly is a bonus! I know what you mean about previously feeling self conscious about the rib hump. Best of luck with a smooth recovery.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
            X