PDA

View Full Version : Hip Bursitis

KathyInIowa
07-26-2016, 10:07 PM
OK - I feel like I'm asking a lot of questions lately! Sorry to be a pain....

No pun intended - but now I have a pain question. I am 41/2 weeks post op. I have been doing my walking schedule which is 2 walks a day working up to 30 minutes per walk, but it stared out with 10 and 15 minutes walks.

Everything was fine until about 2 or 3 days ago my right hip starting hurting really bad. I have had bursitis before (in my left hip before surgery) so I know what it feels like. This pain feels the exact same, and the location on the hip is the same (except for now it is my right hip).

My husband said he remembers Dr. Perra mentioning that bursitis is common after this surgery, but I don't remember him talking about it.

Has anyone else had this type of hip pain this soon after surgery? Part of my surgery entailed him tilting my hips back to a normal position and he said it would be a 44 degree difference. I don't know if that's alot or not, but would that be causing this pain?

I can hardly put any weight on that leg when it is flaring and sitting is hard. Needless to say, it is messing with my walking which I know I need to do to heal! Ugh. It's always something!

Thanks again.

Kathy

titaniumed
07-26-2016, 10:56 PM
Kathy

Linda has posted about trochanteric bursitis in the past....you might slow down a bit till it blows over.

30 minutes is a lot.....I was doing around five, 5-10 minute walks per day at 4 weeks. Shorter walking times, more often.

Sitting can be really hard for a long time, many months. I was 10 minutes max for probably 6 months....

Ed

KathyInIowa
07-26-2016, 11:08 PM
Hi Ed. 30 minutes does seem like a lot. I was following my sheet but I agree, more short walks is better. That will be plan now.

I do remember Linda's posting, but I didn't know if she was referring to an existing bursitis she had going into surgery or is she got it after her surgery.

BTW. John said I talked to you for 30 minutes on the phone. I have NO memory of talking to you! I hope I wasn't too stupid! We spent 4 days in a hotel and I don't remember even being there. I don't even remember him driving me to my son's apartment. I hate the amnesia part of surgery.

Kathy

leahdragonfly
07-26-2016, 11:32 PM
Hi Kathy,

I had some transient trouble with hip pain in my first 1-3 months after my last surgery. I'm sure it was bursitis, but I never went to the doctor for it. It was too painful at one point to lay on that side. Luckily I took it a little easier and it faded away.

Remember all the post-op info given are merely guidelines and your results may vary! Always listen to your body. There will be days you are wiped out or extra sore, and maybe all you can manage is three walks of 5 minutes each. This is completely normal and is perfectly ok. I agree with Ed that sitting is challenging for months. It gets better slowly over time. I still can't tolerate chairs with metal backs, or bleachers.

Keep up the good work, and keep those questions and updates coming. We are here for you.

LindaRacine
07-26-2016, 11:37 PM
Hi Kathy...

I had a pretty severe bursitis episode right after surgery. I don't know if I had it prior to surgery (not sure that makes any difference anyway). I was pretty miserable, because I couldn't lay down (I had it on both sides). My physical therapist diagnosed it, and gave me some exercises. They helped a little, but not enough to allow me to be comfortable. One day, while I was still out of work, I went to a work event. I was sitting at lunch with several of our docs, and I mentioned the bursitis. One of the docs told me to go see his wife (a physiatrist) immediately. I went, she gave me an injection on the worst side. I was back at work the next day.

Things that seem to make the pain worse are walking, climbing stairs, and standing. I agree with Ed, that it might be wise to back off on the walking a bit.

Hang in there.

--Linda

titaniumed
07-27-2016, 08:29 AM
This happens.....Heck, sometimes I have no memory of posting here! Before you know it, this thread will be forgotten. (Smiley face)

Many years ago, I had an Osteopath diagnose me with bursitis of the buttocks....you know what that means? It means I broke my Bum. LOL (I hope that wasnít too corny)

Ok, time to stop now....Do I hear a gong sounding? Sometimes I will roll the crappy jokes till people leave my office. It keeps them away for days.... LMAO.

Even though our bodies are great at filtering many pollutants, medications and chemicals can and do have quite an effect on us. After you finally quit, it still takes time to filter out.

I had horrendous trochanteric pain before my surgeries from sciatica, or low lumbar nerve root inflammation. Once you get inflamed, you really need to slow down so healing can happen. Pain is a signal that something is wrong. Its nice to know whatís wrong. At least in surgical recovery we have some sort of clue but healing dictates our activities....Itís a see-saw recovery, and it takes a really long time.

You should set up your signature at some point. I keep forgetting when everyone had their surgeries. I can help with this.......Here is an example

Full fusion
Talked to Ed Last month.

I need coffee

Ed

jackieg412
07-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Hi Ed you make my day. Right on with the coffee

KathyInIowa
07-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Hi Kathy...

I had a pretty severe bursitis episode right after surgery. I don't know if I had it prior to surgery (not sure that makes any difference anyway). I was pretty miserable, because I couldn't lay down (I had it on both sides). My physical therapist diagnosed it, and gave me some exercises. They helped a little, but not enough to allow me to be comfortable. One day, while I was still out of work, I went to a work event. I was sitting at lunch with several of our docs, and I mentioned the bursitis. One of the docs told me to go see his wife (a physiatrist) immediately. I went, she gave me an injection on the worst side. I was back at work the next day.

Things that seem to make the pain worse are walking, climbing stairs, and standing. I agree with Ed, that it might be wise to back off on the walking a bit.

Hang in there.

--Linda

Thanks Linda. I too had a terrible case of hip bursitis last March. I couldn't lay on that side at all, it even hurt just to touch that hip. I ended up getting an injection in that hip and that took care of it. But, since it was before my surgery, the pain didn't go away completely as my left hip socket was out of whack from my scoliosis. That is one thing that I'm hoping this surgery took care of. So, you can imagine my frustration to have the same thing now on my other side!

So far today I did just one 10-minute walk. I'll do a couple more, but am definitely taking it easy. It does still hurt though.

I'm hanging in there. My 6-week follow up is Aug 4 and I'm making my list of questions for Dr. Perra!

Kathy

KathyInIowa
07-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Even though our bodies are great at filtering many pollutants, medications and chemicals can and do have quite an effect on us. After you finally quit, it still takes time to filter out.

I had horrendous trochanteric pain before my surgeries from sciatica, or low lumbar nerve root inflammation. Once you get inflamed, you really need to slow down so healing can happen. Pain is a signal that something is wrong. Its nice to know whatís wrong. At least in surgical recovery we have some sort of clue but healing dictates our activities....Itís a see-saw recovery, and it takes a really long time.

You should set up your signature at some point. I keep forgetting when everyone had their surgeries. I can help with this.......Here is an example

Full fusion
Talked to Ed Last month.

I need coffee

Ed

Thanks Ed. It is always good to hear a "reminder" about taking it slow, listen to your body, this was a BIG surgery, chemicals mess with our bodies, all of that. I will definitely need more reminders!

I will change my signature. I thought I would wait until after my check up so I could put my before and after degrees and all of that. You'd think I'd know that info now..... well, I'm sure it's been told to me, but as usual, I have no memory of it!!

I am slowly but surely cutting back on the Dilaudid. I have stretched it to (1) every 7 hours. Sort of by default, I forget to take it, even though I have alarms set on my phone. I shut the alarm off and then forget until an hour later. But, I feel like if my pain is tolerable with the 7 or 8 hours stretch, then I'm giving it a shot to go more time in between doses. Like I said before, my hip is more painful than my back.

Kathy

KathyInIowa
07-27-2016, 04:16 PM
I did change my signature, this is just to test it to see if it shows up correctly.

Kathy

titaniumed
07-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Kathy

That looks good.... I would remove your name.....We all know you as KathyinIowa....

I post as Rod Stewart on the British forum only because Jose Cuervo was taken. It was a harder decision than having my scoliosis surgeries. (smiley face) Username selection takes a lot of thought!

That last post of mine was a doozie....I hope nobody fell off their chair. LOL These sorts of posts happen since I donít like being too serious here and scoliosis surgery involves some extremely serious things...

Remember that there are no races. Our bodies dictate what we do in recovery and while weaning off meds. If you donít feel you can reduce, just dwell....Its not an easy thing and uncomfortable feelings can happen....

If you cant walk because you are sore, do heel lifts in the kitchen. Move your arms. Keep the blood flowing. It helps prevent DVT. Clots are no good.

I see you are 33 days. Still very early. Easy does it.

Hang in there

Ed

KathyInIowa
07-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Thanks, Ed. I did edit my Signature - Took my name off.

I only did (1) 10 minute walk yesterday, which hurt, so I didn't do any more.
Funny that you mentioned the other movements, I actually am doing those things! I also lay in bed and do the ankle pumps, thigh and butt squeezes like that had me do in the hospital. And, when laying down, I mimick the motion of shoulder press ups and other arm exercises I do in weight training but with nothing in my hands. I just figure any movement is better than nothing.

Today, so far, my hip pain is gone! I can feel just a slight amount, but it's barely there. So, I think I will try 1 walk today and see how it goes. I did NOT like having pain on top of everything else.

I appreciate the reminders for anyone about how this isn't a race and to keep taking it slow. I used to be a competitive runner (just on a local level), so to me, everything is a race. It's hard to change that mindset, but I do believe I'm getting better at it.

With the hip pain gone, I do think today might be a good day!

Kathy

mabeckoff
07-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Glad to hear that you are feeling better!

LindaRacine
07-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Kathy...

I've always thought that the non-back pain is much harder to deal with than the back pain. We're used to back pain, and even expect it. We don't expect things like hip or thigh pain, and even if it's not bad pain, it seems much harder to deal with.

--Linda

Jjohnsonphd
07-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Hi Kathy,

I just wondered how you are doing? Is the hip pain better? How have the nights been? I read a bunch of old posts last night and lots of people complain about insomnia.

I am returning home tomorrow which I can't wait for, although I will be on my own with my 3 kids. My husband is taking next week off but I am going to have to find some help with cooking and laundry after that for sure. If I lay around, I am fine but my lower back has really been hurting when I walk. I had to take shorter walks today, it just hurt too much. Walking will be very hard at home, today the high was 117 degrees!! It will remain uncomfortably hot until end of October so I need to learn to deal with it. No more perfect La Jolla weather.

Onward!!
:)
Jana

KathyInIowa
07-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi, Jana. Good to hear from you! I'm feeling "OK." My hip pain is still there, but not severe. I think because I only walk 10-minutes at a time. I know if I was doing long walks, it would hurt way more. So, the issue is definitely still there. I guess for now I'll just keep with the shorter walks and hope that it goes away and I can walk longer with no pain. No one can live their life only walking 10 minutes at a time! We'd get nothing accomplished at that rate!

My nights are still bad. Last night was another really bad night. Ugh! It is SO frustrating! I slept from 2:30 - 5:30 a.m. I did manage to sleep another 2 hours from 8 - 10 this morning. So, I'm still feeling shaky and not hungry and all the things that go along with being overly tired.

Linda and I have been talking about thigh pain. My thighs STILL are super sore and tender. I keep massaging them and using this roller massage thing that my son has. Nothing seems to make that pain ease up. But, I actually had that before my surgery. I thought it was from my walking gait being so "off", and maybe it was.

The weird thing is that my back pain isn't my biggest complaint. It does get tired and achy if I'm on my feet too much so I know if I over did things, I would be in trouble. Which I'm sure someday I will end of over doing things w/o realizing it. When I walk outside, if I hit an uneven spot and my foot slams down harder, that hurts! So, I'm really paranoid when I walk out side. I do a lot of my walking in the hallways of this apartment. I'm met more of John's neighbors than he has!

I keep reminding myself I'm only 35 days out. I KNOW I'm doing really well all things considered. But, I'm getting to that frustrating point.....

I'm going home in 9 days! I'm also anxious to go home, although I love being with my son :-) I think having a change of scenery and being in my own bed and all of that will give me a new outlook and a renewed sense of things. My husband got here last night so he's here for 3 days. That always makes me feel better too.

My kids are grown (they are taking care of me! LOL!). I can't imagine going through this with little kids! They will probably love being your "helper."

Hang in there Jana. It's so nice to know someone who's surgery date is basically the same as me. It's nice to be able to compare my symptoms and complaints.

Take Care,

Kathy

Jjohnsonphd
07-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Hi Kathy,

It is great to hear from you! I thought of you last night with this emoji🙄 while I stared at the ceiling the entire night. I never slept once! It was so annoying. It had been a long eventful day as we left my recovery house in La Jolla and drove home, which ended up taking over 3 hours because we stopped for a quick lunch and gas. I was doing great in the front seat of my mom's comfy car with 2 soft pillows and 2 ice packs. I walked around while they ordered lunch and after we started on the second half of the drive, my back started feeling very tight and I could not get comfortable. I popped 3 Dilaudid ( it was time for my usual one) and an anti-nausea pill and I had the brilliant idea to lay own in the back seat of my Dad's pick-up ( which has very soft seats). We had to pull over, move luggage around but once I reclined, propped up on a few pillows I felt soooo much better. Even semi-reclined sitting in a car has its limits with me. If you have a car you can lay down in on the ride home, it really helps.

It was great to be home after almost 7 weeks. I was up more trying to get things put away so by the time it hit 9:30pm, my low back was killing me and I went to bed. Although I never slept! The pain went away but my bed is firmer than the other mattress I got used to, so I am hoping it is just an adjustment.

My upper back is really not in pain anymore, it is all in my lower back. I feel like I have the bear claw people talk about in my low left side. I think I could almost be off the pain meds if it wasn't for that spot. It makes it very hard to walk more than a few houses down. So frustrating. I still walk very slow.

It is hard to realize at home all your stuff up high or down low is not accessible anymore. I need to rearrange things better but I get the pain and just want to get on the couch. Have you felt restless? I do yet I don't really feel like going out or seeing people yet. My kids have been so sweet and helpful, even my 4 year old. It seems he really understands my limitations. Keep me posted on how you are going. I hope we get some sleep tonight!!

Best,
Jana

KathyInIowa
08-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Hi, Jana. I'm wondering how your days and nights are going now that you are at home?

I still am NOT sleeping. It's almost becoming a joke, except for that I don't find it funny! It is definitely taking a toll on me. This chronic fatigue is not good. I still do my walks, but am less motivated. I feel "agitated" all day long. I'm wondering if it's the weaning of the drugs? I don't know. Last night I did fall asleep for a couple of hours - I woke up drenched in sweat! My tshirt was so wet I had to get up and put a clean one on. My hair was soaked. I think this bedroom is a tad bit warm but I have a ceiling fan and a floor fan going. I don't think a hot room caused that. It was really weird, It may have been a hot flash, I don't know. I wasn't able to get back to sleep after that.

I did go to lunch with my Aunt today. I was gone about one hour and 45 minutes. That was enough. I wasn't in pain and I did fine sitting through lunch, but I had reached my limited and needed to lay down when I got back.

Back to the original topic of this thread, my hip bursitis seems to be settling down. But, I don't walk more than 15 minutes at a time - which is fine for now anyway. I am able to do multiple 10 or 15 minute walks a day w/o much pain, so that's what I've been doing.

My 6-week post op appointment is this Thursday, so only 3 more days! I hope a get a good report and can head for home. I have a 5 hour ride home. I will probably take your advice and lay down in the back for part of the drive.

I hope you are getting along OK.

Kathy

LindaRacine
08-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Last night I did fall asleep for a couple of hours - I woke up drenched in sweat! My tshirt was so wet I had to get up and put a clean one on. My hair was soaked. I think this bedroom is a tad bit warm but I have a ceiling fan and a floor fan going. I don't think a hot room caused that. It was really weird, It may have been a hot flash, I don't know. I wasn't able to get back to sleep after that.

Hi Kathy...

You should take your temperature a few times to be certain you're not running a fever. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a hot flash. If you haven't already started menopause, the surgery could certainly catapult you into it.

--Linda

leahdragonfly
08-01-2016, 10:24 PM
A lot of that sounds like it could be from the meds...I had this happen several times at night, where I had to change my nightshirt I was so sweaty, but it stopped once I was off the meds. I still have regular cycles with no hot flashes now.

I also had a lot of trouble sleeping in the early days and weeks which is very stressful. It does get better in time is my only advice. Good luck at your appointment, and keep up the good work! The multiple 10-15 minute walks sounds perfect.

jackieg412
08-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Good luck on your appointment and trip home. It is exciting to go home. I know you are still early in recovery but it will keep getting better. Some of the issues just peak and then go away. It will be a long year but when you look back you will see that while a bumpy ride you made it to the top! Continue to take care of yourself.

Prfbones
08-02-2016, 12:09 PM
So I'm curious, by bursitis, do you mean sciatica or a radiculopathy? With bursitis, you have a fluid-filled bursa that is usually caused by some sort of repetitive injury (like resting your elbow on your desk every single time you talk on the phone). If the sac stays around for more than a few weeks, it usually has to be removed surgically so that the sac is removed and doesn't return. Otherwise, they go down pretty fast with ice/heat.

After my lumbar surgery, I definitely had sciatica on both sides of my hips. I could barely walk at times. I would have to lie flat on my back at all times because I couldn't turn onto my hips on either side, it just hurt too much. After three months, I had to take a small course of steroids which helped to knock down the pain considerably. I still get it. But now I use a topical anti-inflammatory called Solarase (prescription for $250 here in the US, or over the counter in Europe for $4 converted) so that I don't touch the fusion area with an anti-inflammatory drug. I go to Europe quite frequently and I stock up on the stuff; it's called Voltaren over there. It works like a charm! I highly recommend it. I would pay the $250 out of pocket if I had to, or I'd pay anyone going to Europe to bring me back some if I had to. It's like putting Celebrex or Advil right over the painful area only, so that the damaging effects of those products don't hurt my new fusion.

Cheers!!!

Prfbones
08-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Last night I did fall asleep for a couple of hours - I woke up drenched in sweat! My tshirt was so wet I had to get up and put a clean one on. My hair was soaked. I think this bedroom is a tad bit warm but I have a ceiling fan and a floor fan going. I don't think a hot room caused that. It was really weird, It may have been a hot flash, I don't know. I wasn't able to get back to sleep after that.
Kathy

Hi Kathy,

It's the drugs. Especially if you were on morphine or any type of morphine-derived drug. People get the sweats even if they're late taking it by 30 minutes sometimes. If you're coming down off of them, that's why. They'll go away fast as your body acclimates. The higher the dose though, the more you will experience this effect when coming down off of them.

If it's really really bothering you, get your doctor to prescribe some Baclofen. It will help a whole lot with all of the symptoms of coming off of opiates. And as an added bonus, it's a muscle relaxant specific for the back!!!

LindaRacine
08-02-2016, 12:31 PM
So I'm curious, by bursitis, do you mean sciatica or a radiculopathy? With bursitis, you have a fluid-filled bursa that is usually caused by some sort of repetitive injury (like resting your elbow on your desk every single time you talk on the phone). If the sac stays around for more than a few weeks, it usually has to be removed surgically so that the sac is removed and doesn't return. Otherwise, they go down pretty fast with ice/heat.

After my lumbar surgery, I definitely had sciatica on both sides of my hips. I could barely walk at times. I would have to lie flat on my back at all times because I couldn't turn onto my hips on either side, it just hurt too much. After three months, I had to take a small course of steroids which helped to knock down the pain considerably. I still get it. But now I use a topical anti-inflammatory called Solarase (prescription for $250 here in the US, or over the counter in Europe for $4 converted) so that I don't touch the fusion area with an anti-inflammatory drug. I go to Europe quite frequently and I stock up on the stuff; it's called Voltaren over there. It works like a charm! I highly recommend it. I would pay the $250 out of pocket if I had to, or I'd pay anyone going to Europe to bring me back some if I had to. It's like putting Celebrex or Advil right over the painful area only, so that the damaging effects of those products don't hurt my new fusion.

Cheers!!!
Allison...

The sciatic nerve doesn't come close to the sides of the hips.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/~/media/kcms/gbs/patient%20consumer/images/2013/08/26/10/53/ds00516_im02917_mcdc_sciaticathu_jpg.jpg

Here's a good image showing what generates pain in these areas:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4d/ba/39/4dba397afcb9eaf8ab8cd58444def872.jpg

--Linda

jackieg412
08-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Linda great picture of the sciatic nerve. Is it true that pressure in any of those areas can cause leg and foot pain? What test can t where it is coming from?

Prfbones
08-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Linda great picture of the sciatic nerve. Is it true that pressure in any of those areas can cause leg and foot pain? What test can t where it is coming from?

The sciatic nerve is a really large nerve with lots of axons that radiate off of the nerve trunk. Sciatic pain can be throughout the thigh, though yes, most people feel it down the back of the thigh. All my physicians are calling it sciatica. That's why I asked.

KathyInIowa
08-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Hi Kathy...

You should take your temperature a few times to be certain you're not running a fever. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a hot flash. If you haven't already started menopause, the surgery could certainly catapult you into it.

--Linda

Hi....
I did take my temperature at 3 different occasions. It showed 98.6 all 3 times. It was one of those little digital thermometers used in the mouth (not like the fancy ones they put in your ear!).

I am not totally done with menopause, and I suffered night sweats ALOT in the last year. They seemed to have stopped for awhile, but that has happened before where they come back. So, it could have been night sweats.

I did recently get rid of one of my doses of Dilaudid, so I wonder if it was some sort of withdrawal symptom. I wouldn't have thought that quitting a 2 mg dose would do that, but I don't know much about these drugs.

I don't have regular cycles, but I do get a light one about once every 10 months. I did quit having regular cycles until I was 53. That seemed really old to be quitting that! But, then I read somewhere that 53 was actually median age for menopause.

Last night I took 10mg of Melatonin. I didn't sleep great, but I must have slept a few 2 hour chunks because today I woke up feel "better," not so shaky from being so tired. For whatever reason, I'm enjoying a day that I don't feel like total crap!

Kathy

LindaRacine
08-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Hi Kathy...

Glad to hear you slept a little. I am totally feeling for you.

Also glad you don't have a fever. I'm sure your body chemistry is just screwy right now. Hopefully, it will stabilize quickly.

I think a neurogram or an electromyogram are the commons tests used to determine the source of nerve pain.

--Linda

titaniumed
08-02-2016, 10:15 PM
But now I use a topical anti-inflammatory called Solarase (prescription for $250 here in the US, or over the counter in Europe for $4 converted) so that I don't touch the fusion area with an anti-inflammatory drug. I go to Europe quite frequently and I stock up on the stuff; it's called Voltaren over there. It works like a charm! I highly recommend it. I would pay the $250 out of pocket if I had to, or I'd pay anyone going to Europe to bring me back some if I had to. It's like putting Celebrex or Advil right over the painful area only, so that the damaging effects of those products don't hurt my new fusion.

Cheers!!!

I had no idea this topical existed!.....sounds like the cats meow! Topical Diclofenac.

One of these days, I will have to get a tube and keep it next to the fire extinguisher. (Break glass when necessary) I have taken Diclofenac with fantastic results.....(cervical herniated discs)

I used to use a product called Infrarub back in the day.....1981 to be exact. How could I forget? You apply, forget to wash your hands, go for the scratch, and sing a much higher tune! LOL

He he

Thanks for posting....

Ed

titaniumed
08-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Kathy, I agree, itís the drugs.....

My decision to terminate was pretty much due to constipation issues....around the 5th week post, it was such a lower GI battle. The spine pain didnít matter anymore, I had enough.

Weaning down is not easy....it can get painful, along with freezing one minute to sweating the next. Hot and cold. Sweating like Niagara falls.....

After I quit, I would soak in my tub. I have one of those large deep tubs, 106 degrees F. It took around 2-3 days, and I improved quickly, and then I could eat. I replaced meds with nutrients. Smoothies....

My dad used Baclofen as an ALS patient.....

If you quit, there will be some pain. Its part of what we go through.....heck, we had enough pain to trigger a decision to have major scoliosis surgery, a little pain after is still an improvement.

I had big time trouble with sleeping....Sleeping like a cat. But it does improve slowly.......

Hang in there

Ed

Jjohnsonphd
08-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Hi, Jana. I'm wondering how your days and nights are going now that you are at home?

I still am NOT sleeping. It's almost becoming a joke, except for that I don't find it funny! It is definitely taking a toll on me. This chronic fatigue is not good. I still do my walks, but am less motivated. I feel "agitated" all day long. I'm wondering if it's the weaning of the drugs? I don't know. Last night I did fall asleep for a couple of hours - I woke up drenched in sweat! My tshirt was so wet I had to get up and put a clean one on. My hair was soaked. I think this bedroom is a tad bit warm but I have a ceiling fan and a floor fan going. I don't think a hot room caused that. It was really weird, It may have been a hot flash, I don't know. I wasn't able to get back to sleep after that.

I did go to lunch with my Aunt today. I was gone about one hour and 45 minutes. That was enough. I wasn't in pain and I did fine sitting through lunch, but I had reached my limited and needed to lay down when I got back.

Back to the original topic of this thread, my hip bursitis seems to be settling down. But, I don't walk more than 15 minutes at a time - which is fine for now anyway. I am able to do multiple 10 or 15 minute walks a day w/o much pain, so that's what I've been doing.

My 6-week post op appointment is this Thursday, so only 3 more days! I hope a get a good report and can head for home. I have a 5 hour ride home. I will probably take your advice and lay down in the back for part of the drive.

I hope you are getting along OK.

Kathy

Hi Kathy!

Sorry for the delay, I was somehow logged out and didn't realize you had replied. So, a crazy few days. I got home Friday, Saturday was OK although I couldn't walk much because there was a huge dust storm here and it was so hot and muggy. Saturday night I woke up in the middle night with a bad stomach ache, very sharp pain. I went to the bathroom and just knew I was going to pass out. I called for my husband (thank goodness I was not alone!) and asked him to help me back to bed. The next thing I know, I am laying on the bathroom floor, thinking I was on my bed. It was super scary. The next morning, the stomach flu hit me. I don't think it was food related because I ate everything my family of 5 did and they were all fine. But how did I get that, I haven't left the house! No vomiting but really horrible abdominal cramping and diarrhea. I still had a painful stomach yesterday but today felt really good. I was reading all I could to make sure this wasn't a withdrawal issue but I think it was just a stomach bug. Oddly, I have felt a big shift with the pain since I got home. I am taking maybe 2-3 Dilaudid every 24 hours which is half what I was taking before Saturday. Not to say my back doesn't hurt, it does when I am on my feet too long but overall it is starting to feel better.

So, the interesting thing is I have had those night sweats the last two nights too! I thought the first night it was because if the stomach bug but last night I felt better and I had it again. Like totally drenched, had to change my nightgown. Gross. I think it is from coming down off the meds. I also have been cold during the day with the A/C running. I hope tonight is better for us both.

I have been paying attention more to how I walk. Although my back is straight, one shoulder wants to raise up higher than the other and my legs feel totally unequal. One has always been longer but now u feel totally crooked walking. I am hoping this will adjust to normal. I walk very stiffly.

On the mood front, yesterday was very low. I still was getting over feeling sick on top of feeling fed up from my back recovery ( 7 weeks today and I still feel a world away from normal) and my eye complication since surgery has me totally stressed. I cried so much yesterday I started to worry if I am getting depressed. I look at people on TV walking around, going to dinner and enjoying life and it feels far away. The eye situation requires me to patch and I just feel like avoiding people and the questions. If I knew my vision was going to get better, I could totally deal with this but the unknown is so scary. Today was better and I am trying to just focus on healing, eating well and enjoying my kids.

Good luck on your follow-up this week! It will feel good to get home!

Jana

Jjohnsonphd
08-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Hi Kathy and everyone else,

Wow, I can not believe the timing of these posts. I came home Friday and by Saturday I had cut my Dilaudid in half. Just like that. I just didn't feel the need for them. My back still hurts of course, but I can calm it down by laying on ice packs. But geez! The night sweats!!! Horrible!! It has been 3 nights in a row now and last night it woke me up at 3am. I also have been just feeling crummy in general in the morning. The other thing is feeling freezing then hot. I get this all day. I am glad to hear this is normal!

I think my recovery is going ok, but I had really hoped to be feeling up to more. The eye situation is the same which I am worried is pulling me towards depression. It is hard enough to have my back so stiff and awkward but not being able to see right is horrible. I just hope the doctors are right that it will get better. I just want to feel better but that will be some time away.

Allison, that med you get in Europe I have heard about from my physical therapist. He said it is the best stuff ever. Thanks for reminding me about it!

Better days ahead,
Jana

KathyInIowa
08-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Hi Kathy!

Sorry for the delay, I was somehow logged out and didn't realize you had replied. So, a crazy few days. I got home Friday, Saturday was OK although I couldn't walk much because there was a huge dust storm here and it was so hot and muggy. Saturday night I woke up in the middle night with a bad stomach ache, very sharp pain. I went to the bathroom and just knew I was going to pass out. I called for my husband (thank goodness I was not alone!) and asked him to help me back to bed. The next thing I know, I am laying on the bathroom floor, thinking I was on my bed. It was super scary. The next morning, the stomach flu hit me. I don't think it was food related because I ate everything my family of 5 did and they were all fine. But how did I get that, I haven't left the house! No vomiting but really horrible abdominal cramping and diarrhea. I still had a painful stomach yesterday but today felt really good. I was reading all I could to make sure this wasn't a withdrawal issue but I think it was just a stomach bug. Oddly, I have felt a big shift with the pain since I got home. I am taking maybe 2-3 Dilaudid every 24 hours which is half what I was taking before Saturday. Not to say my back doesn't hurt, it does when I am on my feet too long but overall it is starting to feel better.

So, the interesting thing is I have had those night sweats the last two nights too! I thought the first night it was because if the stomach bug but last night I felt better and I had it again. Like totally drenched, had to change my nightgown. Gross. I think it is from coming down off the meds. I also have been cold during the day with the A/C running. I hope tonight is better for us both.

I have been paying attention more to how I walk. Although my back is straight, one shoulder wants to raise up higher than the other and my legs feel totally unequal. One has always been longer but now u feel totally crooked walking. I am hoping this will adjust to normal. I walk very stiffly.

On the mood front, yesterday was very low. I still was getting over feeling sick on top of feeling fed up from my back recovery ( 7 weeks today and I still feel a world away from normal) and my eye complication since surgery has me totally stressed. I cried so much yesterday I started to worry if I am getting depressed. I look at people on TV walking around, going to dinner and enjoying life and it feels far away. The eye situation requires me to patch and I just feel like avoiding people and the questions. If I knew my vision was going to get better, I could totally deal with this but the unknown is so scary. Today was better and I am trying to just focus on healing, eating well and enjoying my kids.

Jana

HI, Jana. OK - your bathroom story sounds scary! I can't imagine laying on a floor and actually getting up!

When I had my decompression surgery, I was on Percocet & Valium. I took it for 4 days and was feeling no pain. So, I thought "why should I take these?" Obviously I was feeling no pain because of the drugs! I had never had surgery so I was very unaware of how drugs affect us. The next day, I had the flu like symptoms too. It only lasted a day - but probably because I hadn't been on them long term. So maybe your flu thing was from cutting out a fair amount of Dilaudid.

Last week and most of this week, I am the same was as you. Sweating at night (although it is getting less) but cold in the A/C. When alone and thinking about things, I'd just sit there and cry. And, I don't have an eye issue or really any issues that aren't "normal." I think the drugs mess with my mood, but also I've been cooped up in this apartment for almost 5 weeks. My family will take me anywhere or do anything for me, but I don't really feel like going in public - and a 1-hour event wears me out. Of course, I try to stay positive - I remind myself my recovery is going as expected, I get to go home this weekend (assuming my xrays tomorrow don't show anything abnormal), and overall life is good. I'm really in need of a change of scenery.

I did get some sleep last night. I got a 1.5 hour chunk and then a 3.5 hour chunk. I woke up at 4:30 and could not go back to sleep. So, Like Ed says, I'm just living a cat's life! Lots of naps! I don't really sleep during the day, but I lay down a rest a lot. I listen to Audio Books.

Today my niece stopped by and brought me lunch. I was shifting between sitting & standing for 90 minutes. When she left, I was EXHAUSTED! So frustrating! I guess the talking and being upright just wears me out. My torso was sore - I suppose I was using my low back muscles to be upright, but I was wearing my brace the whole time.

I appreciate all the reminders everyone here sends me: Baby steps. It was a BIG surgery. Recovery is long. It's only been 6 weeks. My aches and pains are very normal. I'm doing a good job. I'm not alone. Keep the reminders coming - because I, too, am reaching a state of feeling down. I, too, want to be "normal" and move & feel like a "normal" person. I've been wanting that for many years!

The only bad thing about going home is I won't get to see my oldest son every day! He is a ray of sunshine for me! He works with keeping me positive and motivated. He has been a blessing and a great roommate!

Kathy

KathyInIowa
08-03-2016, 05:17 PM
On a more positive note, this week I figured out how to put on my own socks, running shoes (I leave them tied) AND I shaved my legs without any help today! And, the outcome was not too bad! For the shoes & socks I use the gripper & shoe horn. I have to use the gripper to put on my pants too.

There are little things that bring happiness to every day!

Kathy

LindaRacine
08-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Hi Kathy!

Jana
Jana...

It wouldn't surprise me if you have started being depressed. I had never been one to be depressed, but did get very depressed sometime within the first two months postop. Please mention the problem to your surgeon or primary care doctor.

--Linda

Prfbones
08-25-2016, 05:33 AM
Hi Linda and everyone:-)

OK, NOW I have Trochanteric Bursitis. It's very uncomfortable. Especially during this road construction season. It's keeping me from working eight hours a day; after six hours and the commute, it gets exquisitely painful. I'm waiting for my insurance to cover the steroid injection and hopefully that will be that.

Trochanteric bursitis AND sciatica. This is not a good combination at all. It's very hard to sleep at night now.

Doesn't it seem like no matter how fast you want your recovery to go, there is always something there to make you slow down?

susancook
08-28-2016, 03:42 PM
I had trochanteric bursitis about 8 years ago when I took a 5 hour car trip to a remote area in India with terrible roads. I did not get out of the car to stretch because there were not any bathrooms and I was certain that stretching would prompt a need to urinate. The 2 Indian men that traveled with me used the agricultural fields ;+}. As soon as I exited the car, I knew what the problem was, but we had plans to tour the remote village and their health/nutritional resources. A steroid inj was great relief when I finally returned to the US 2 weeks of hobbling and NSAIDs later.

Long background story to my suggestion. Buy one of those blowup seat cushions for people with hemorrhoids might do the trick. I'm taking one to India with me next visit!

Hope that you are better!

Susan