Finally after several years I scheduled the surgery...on January 10th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally after several years I scheduled the surgery...on January 10th

I just couldn't commit. Instead, I went back and forth for years on doctors and timing. I think it was mostly fear of actually going through with it, coupled with not actually finding a surgeon I was 100% comfortable with. I'm now fully set with Dr. Lenke as I mentioned here, he is in NY now too which helps given my family is here, so I have no more excuses on this front.

Originally I was actually scheduled for October 25th but had to push it back because my sister got pregnant, her due date is shortly after that original October date, and my mom couldn't help us both out (smiley face). Also I kind of want to be around to see the kid born and not be bound to a bed essentially.

Anyway, now that I've actually committed, I tend to have moments where I freak out and wonder if I'm making a bad decision. Some things that worry me:

- One big thing that bothers me is that I find it takes me a while to recover from broken bones. I don't know what that is. For example, I broke my hand a few years ago and still feel pain there, but maybe that is just a factor of it healing incorrectly or something.
    - January is cold season out here. Best idea to get surgery done and recover in the cold, snow and ice?
    - The other big thing I think about. How will I be different? What if I can't fly anymore long-haul trips (which is a large part of my life)? And just other random things I think about not being able to do anymore.

Even though I don't post here much, I read a lot and think this forum is just wonderful. Thanks to all for your stories and helping those like myself who are trying to navigate those unknown waters.

You will have no problem flying. You will need to find someplace to walk. Walking is so important. NY in the winter is hard to walk.

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Good to know I can fly, that was a major concern of mine.

Comment

I am fused from C2 - pelvis and have flown dozens of times.

Only a few times, do I have to get hand screened
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I fly but I usually go through the body scanner so the internal metal can be seen. However I usually still get a personal screening. It sometimes depends on the location--- like the airport near a seaport.just allow more time and it works out.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

That's perfectly fine, I don't mind whatever screening I have to go through. Just meant more flying 5-10 hours nonstop on a plane and being able to physically handle it.

Comment

Good luck with your surgery
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

It is really hard to commit to a "voluntary" surgery when one knows that it is not a quick recovery. I seldom post on the forum since my surgery was over 5 years ago with Dr. Lenke. I think the world of him and I'm so thankful for his skills and my courage to choose to have the surgery. I am so happy to have no back pain with standing or sitting and love having a nice straight back. I am back to playing golf, tap dancing, riding my bike, etc. My surgery was on January 5, 2011 and it was icy and snowy for a month. I had many boring laps walking inside our house during the lousy weather days, but I forced myself. Music definitely helped. Many days, my husband drove me to the Y to walk the indoor track and to use the pool. Best of luck! Please tell Dr. Lenke that Karen, the golfer, from St. Louis said "Hi".
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

@kara - thanks

@golfnut - this is comforting to hear. You are quite right about that first sentence concerning the voluntary nature of the surgery. I also have the option of flying to Los Angeles to recover too. But not sure I want to get in a plane a week after the surgery.

Comment

Working...
                  X