Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery is scheduled

Good afternoon,

I met with my surgeon, Dr. Dick, again today with 3 pages of questions that I had gathered from reading and researching. He answered all of my questions and then some and really put me at ease today. I felt like he appreciated how prepared I was for the appointment and was great about spending as much time as we needed today. I have decided to proceed with the surgery because there really will never be a good time to do this. If I keep postponing the surgery until it's a 'good time' I just may never do it. His plan is to do a posterior spinal fusion from T6 to L5 using titanium instrumentation and bone graft material from my iliac crest. Right now I have a lumber curve at 55* and a compensatory thorasic curve at 37*. After my bending films, he feels he can correct to 24* and 11* which is really great news!

I could use any positive vibes that you can send my way.

Originally posted by mistybowe View Post
    Good afternoon,

I met with my surgeon, Dr. Dick, again today with 3 pages of questions that I had gathered from reading and researching. He answered all of my questions and then some and really put me at ease today. I felt like he appreciated how prepared I was for the appointment and was great about spending as much time as we needed today. I have decided to proceed with the surgery because there really will never be a good time to do this. If I keep postponing the surgery until it's a 'good time' I just may never do it. His plan is to do a posterior spinal fusion from T6 to L5 using titanium instrumentation and bone graft material from my iliac crest. Right now I have a lumber curve at 55* and a compensatory thorasic curve at 37*. After my bending films, he feels he can correct to 24* and 11* which is really great news!

I could use any positive vibes that you can send my way.
    Hi Misty...

Congratulations on making the big decision. It sounds like you're confident that it's the right thing, and that's one of the few things we can do to contribute to a good outcome.

Starting a fusion at T6 is pretty unusual. Did he mention why he chose that level? Also, I think the original plan was T2, right? Why the big difference?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, I believe it started with an L1-L5 4 level lumbar fusion....

Misty, I also want to say congrats on the big decision. It’s something we never forget.

Since our x-rays look similar, double rotational, mine slightly more advanced, I wondered why he wasn’t taking it up higher....Leaving the L5-S1 will leave you increased mobility. I didn’t have a choice on the Pelvis decision as my L5 was really bad. I’m sure you guys discussed this in your meeting and are aware.

I would go outside and walk for anxiety. If my anxiety increased, I would run and run till the running was done.....

Generally, in adults, 50% corrections are achieved. Kids and young people get really good corrections, some teens get straightened up just perfectly. I was told I could be fused “as is” with no correction. Please don’t judge your outcome on curve magnitude. Its not all about curves....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        Linda, I believe it started with an L1-L5 4 level lumbar fusion....
        Must have confused her with someone else. Thanks.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Misty,

The journey begins! I am 42 as well and had surgery 4.5 weeks ago. I planned on this surgery for a long time because I have 3 kids and could only do it in June, hoping to be recovered enough by the time school starts. You will get great support here. It helped me prepare before.

Are you traveling for surgery? If so, it is important to think about where you will be recovering. My doctor wanted me close by for the first month and I am still not ready to travel home. It will be the right time for you when you decide on the date. There is such great relief after it is over with.

The surgery has come so far, I am glad I waited until now to have it. No big plastic brace to deal with like the old days. I didn't even have those big staples put in that everyone complains about! I know my doctor used them on a friend who had surgery 2 years before I did so that is amazing. My scar has healed very easily. It's all the muscles and nerves that are still trying to adjust.

I'm here if you have any questions. Feel good about the decision. I would do it over again. My back was on its way to collapsing on me.

Jana
          Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis at age 11
          Dr. Edgar Dawson of UCLA
          Braced and "stopped" below 50 degrees
          Age 25: 47 degrees, 48 degrees
          Age 38 (3 babies later): 60 degrees, 63 degrees and 2.5 inches shorter
          Age 41: 64 degrees, 70 degrees
          Dr. Gregory Mundis Jr. of Scripps Hospital, La Jolla CA
          June 2015-ALIF on L5-S1 for a slipped and degenerated disk
          June 14, 2016-T4-L4 spinal fusion with instrumentation
          Post-surgery: 16 degrees, 12 degrees and 2 inches taller

Comment

Originally posted by Jjohnsonphd View Post
            Are you traveling for surgery? If so, it is important to think about where you will be recovering. My doctor wanted me close by for the first month and I am still not ready to travel home. It will be the right time for you when you decide on the date. There is such great relief after it is over with.
            Thankfully, my doctor and the hospital that I will have the surgery done at is a mere 30 minutes from my home. They are anticipating a 4 day stay at the hospital and then I will continue recovering at home. My husband is taking a full 3 weeks off to be my personal nurse at home. I am hoping to go back to work on a part time basis week 4, but I understand that I may need longer so will allow myself some flexibility. I am able to do quite a bit of my work from home and have a home office so that will help.

I have ordered a bed tray and a pick-up stick. Is there anything else that I should purchase ahead of time that I will need while I am home? I was thinking maybe a heating pad?

I was also thinking I would order some prepared meals from Let's Dish to make my hubby's life easier. Any other 'preparation' tips you can share would be much appreciated.

Hope you are recovering well

Misty

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              Must have confused her with someone else. Thanks.
              Linda,

I had originally thought that he would fuse less... this was my error. He didn't really provide specifics at my initial appointment because he wanted to do some bending x-rays to fully understand what flexibility I have in my spine and estimate the amount of correction that could be achieved. I was the one confused, not you

Misty

Comment

Working...
              X