• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard are these trivial things after surgery:

-cutting toenails
    -tying shoelaces
    -putting on socks
    -putting on shoes

Those with long fusions, are you able to do it without some odd body positions? I mean, doing it naturally, just like before surgery.

For me (fused 11 levels to the sacrum) the trick is putting your foot up on a bench or chair. You have your whole lumbar unfused so I imagine these things should not be too challenging if you're off restrictions and can do a little stretching. TiEd is fused T3-sacrum and can tie his shoes and trim his toenails! He said the key was stretching.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Gayle, Your right, its all about gentle slow stretching.......

After a while, it is possible to tie shoes with your teeth! (for photo proof, see attachment) Notice he isn’t bending, lifting, or twisting! (scoliosis forum humor)

Richard, you will do just fine.....

Look like a bad case of tennis anxiety.....sports can do this.

Ed
      Attached Files
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by richardis View Post
        I mean, doing it naturally, just like before surgery.
        Richard, It took me around 2 years to tie shoes “naturally without any hesitation” on the floor. Using the arm of a chair makes sock installation and shoe tying easier, but what happens is sometimes there is no chair convenient, and we are forced to adapt. I do this in a squat position with both arms stretched to their limit.(It helps to have long arms)

After my surgeries, I never thought I would EVER be able to reach my feet. That was wrong.....

One of the posters on the British forum is fused to T12, and he is palming the floor now after 2 years...Each lumbar level has roughly 18-22 degrees articulation....contortionists prove this...(google and select images)

Fusion generally takes a year....I was told I was fused at around 7 months and still took things easy. I just didn’t want to take that chance. I now have permission to lift 100# and have lifted around 75# but don’t do these kinds of lifting activities anymore......Its better to get someone else, “young and tough” or lighten the load.

For cutting my toenails, I set my foot up on a desk which is much higher than the arm of a chair. I do have to lean into it, but I don’t hold that position long. Dr Lenke has seen rod breaks at 8 years and I’m 8-1/2 years post now, but still don’t want to take that chance...Rods break because we don’t fuse.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

-cutting toenails
          -tying shoelaces
          -putting on socks
          -putting on shoes

Those with long fusions, are you able to do it without some odd body positions? I mean, doing it naturally, just like before surgery.
          Since you're not fused into the lumbar spine, once post-surgery restrictions have been lifted, you should have absolutely no difficulty performing any of those tasks.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Since you're not fused into the lumbar spine, once post-surgery restrictions have been lifted, you should have absolutely no difficulty performing any of those tasks.
            Thanks to all of you for the overwhelming response in such a record time.

What about activities that require bending of the upper cervical and thoracic spine:

- bending to brush teeth on wash basin
            - bending to wash and rinse face
            - bending enough to enter on a car with a low-height roof (without using the lumbar spine) or let's suppose width is not enough to make use of lumbar spine

My upper instrumented vertebrae is T3.
            Last edited by richardis; 07-05-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Those motions can all be accomplished by either bending from the hips or bending above your fusion/from the cervical area. I would give my eye teeth to have a thoracic-only fusion, but I can do all the things you mention without thinking about. I am sure you will be able to also!
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the overwhelming response in such a record time.

What about activities that require bending of the upper cervical and thoracic spine:

- bending to brush teeth on wash basin
                - bending to wash and rinse face
                - bending enough to enter on a car with a low-height roof (without using the lumbar spine) or let's suppose width is not enough to make use of lumbar spine

My upper instrumented vertebrae is T3.
                With a T3-10 fusion, you will probably find that you have no restrictions. There is relatively little bending that goes on in the thoracic spine.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  With a T3-10 fusion, you will probably find that you have no restrictions. There is relatively little bending that goes on in the thoracic spine.
                  when are the restrictions for these type of activities usually lifted? I don't mean contact sports or normal exercises.

My surgeon gave me the ok for extreme bending on the 4th month appt. what about you?
                  Last edited by richardis; 07-06-2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

when are the restrictions for these type of activities usually lifted? I don't mean contact sports or normal exercises.

My surgeon gave me the ok for extreme bending on the 4th month appt. what about you?
                    It depends on the patient, and what they have done, but at UCSF, most restrictions are lifted between 3-6 months postop.

Comment

How reliable is this : Mobility-of-the-spine.png
                      is this trustworthy?

Comment

Working...
                      X