One year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year!

April 8 was my one year mark. After nearly 40 years of waiting, knowing and fearing this surgery, making it to the year mark is quite emotional. I feel really pretty good. Still some numbness on my lower back and right hip, neck pain still, occasional sciatica, and constant fear of something going wrong again. The vertebrae at the top and bottom of my thoracic curve is very prominent when I look in the mirror. I keep looking and comparing my back to the days after surgery when I was so psyched to have it done. I almost feel like the rib hump is getting worse but I think it's my imagination. I mean I have no pain, no stiffness, nothing. I also worry because I am really pretty flexible still, socks are the only thing I can't do comfortably....which I do not care about lol I hate socks..... I have been able to take care of business in every way since very early. Silly, but this actually worries me, I mean shouldn't I be more limited? Lol.... I'm a psycho I know. Anyway, I lost a bunch of weight right away, gained nearly 3 inches in height, and I have enjoyed this new body shape very much. Last summer was so quiet and mellow since I was still so early in recovery, this summer is going to be so great! Bikinis and boats again 👍
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Congratulations! This summer will be so much more active for you! Enjoy and stop worrying about a problem cropping up. I'very got that area covered.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Cathy, You made it. (I like typing these words)

Use the arm of a chair for socks. Set heel of foot on arm for support. I use a wooden chair with a wooden arm for this. Eventually, you should be able to limber up more and do this on the floor. I can post photos of me doing this if you wish...just let me know. For complete recovery it took me 2 years. 90% in the first year, the last 10% took another year....it gets better...

I see that you say you are flexible still. And everyone thought it was just me.....Amazing stuff huh?

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Need photos!

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        Cathy, You made it. (I like typing these words)

Use the arm of a chair for socks. Set heel of foot on arm for support. I use a wooden chair with a wooden arm for this. Eventually, you should be able to limber up more and do this on the floor. I can post photos of me doing this if you wish...just let me know. For complete recovery it took me 2 years. 90% in the first year, the last 10% took another year....it gets better...

I see that you say you are flexible still. And everyone thought it was just me.....Amazing stuff huh?

Ed
        You lost me with the "get the foot on the arm of the chair".
        Send video!
        S.
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Congratulations, Cathy!!! I am SO happy for you!

You sound like me...worried about all the things that could go wrong. But, you made it!!!

Have an AWESOME summer!!!
          3/8/16 Dr. Lenke, NY Presbyterian The Allen Hospital
          PSSIF T4-SACRUM/ILIUM, TLIF L5-S1

Comment

Way to go! Glad that you are doing well

Melissa
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Congratulations, I love hearing great stories like this. I met with Dr. Lonner too and he seemed great and was my second choice. 3 inches in height?? That is wonderful!

Comment

yay!

So happy for you! Great to hear that you feel amazing and there is nothing stopping you! Keep it going.
                39 years old, 2 children, suffering from scoliosis since the age of 12.
                Lumbar curve 55 degrees, 4 herniated disks and 2 small fractures - after surgery only 20 degree curve - Fusion T10-L4
                Surgery on 4/21/15 with Dr. Gjolaj @ (UM) Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL

Comment

Fantastic Cathy! I'm so glad to hear this. I knew you'd have an amazing recovery. I hope the summer is everything you want it to be!
                  T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
                  10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
                  Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
                  At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
                  Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
                  Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
                  Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

Congratulations, Cathy. Enjoy your new figure!
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congratulations Cathy and it was great to hear from you. It will still keep getting better. I envy that you lost weight after your surgery. For some of us it was the other way around, but I'll trade a few extra pounds for a pain-free back, any day! Wishing you the very best as you go forward!

Anne in PA
                      Age 58
                      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                      T4 to sacrum fusion
                      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                      X