PDA

View Full Version : no surgery recommended

letty
03-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Hello, everyone. I am so excited to tell you all that I got checked by Dr. Sweet in Rockford, IL last Friday Mar 4, 2005. He is a very experienced and caring doctor who does a lot of spine surgeries. He said he doesn't recommend surgery for me because at 57 years of age with 67 degrees thorasic curve, I am very active and scoliotic pain is very minimal, (more of a discomfort). He said that if I ever do it, it will be for cosmetic reason (big hump on the right side) and that is not a good reason for surgery. Diminished quality of life, pain and compromised health are better reasons to get surgery. He recommended monitoring the progression and so I will have more xrays next year. But for now, I am so happy and have peace of mind about the whole thing. Do contact me if you are in the same boat like myself ( and even if you are not) . I will be happy to correspond with you.

Letty

LindaRacine
03-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Letty...

Sounds like excellent advice.

Be sure that you're getting enough calcium so that your bone quality stays good.

Regards,
Linda

lrmb
03-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Letty,

Glad to hear you have got some peace of mind at last! I am thrilled for you. Hope we get to hear from you over the years about how you're doing!

~Laura

letty
03-11-2005, 12:06 PM
That is exactly what the good doctor advised, Linda. Enough calcium to maintain my bone density which he says is very good as of now. He said I cannot afford to have osteoporosis with the scoliosis. Thank you, Laura. For sure I will be in touch with all of you nice people.