Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progression After Skeletal Maturity

Hi...

One of the surgeons I work with is looking for x-rays to use in a talk. He specifically wants a patient who had a small curve (say, under 30 degrees) at skeletal maturity, and who has progressed significantly (to a minimum of 50 degrees) since then. If you read this and are willing to share before and after xrays, please PM me.

Thanks.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Hi,

Sorry I am not suitable as I have a progressive curve of 59* but have no idea how it was at skeletal maturity.

However can I ask if the sort of curve you are asking for would be classed as degenerative?

The UK Website SAUK has combined Progressive AIS in adults with Degenerative Scoliosis and I would have thought that as degenerative curves tend to increase 1 degree a year approx. that a progressive AIS curve in an adult should be 'classed' differently?

Comment

Your Box is Full

I would be willing to share. I only have the actual film from around 2000. Dr. Perra measured it at 41o and Dr. Tribus measured it at 38o which is where I was when I was first diagnosed. The lower curve was insignificant and they never measured it. It is a double now and they are measuring it around38o I think. The upper, I think is around 46o. I know it's not exactly what he's looking for. I only have the 2005 in picture format. I could ask Dr. Tribus' office if they would send me the 2000 disc since they converted it. But, mine is on the move. It's just been over the last couple of years that the most progression has occurred. PM me and let me know if mine is interesting enough for his talk. Mine is unique... never seen before as far as I know.

My doctors seemed to think that I was not "safe" from progression when I was a teenager and skeletally mature. They TOLD me I would eventually need surgery, even with numbers that low and a very negligible compensatory curve.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
        Hi,

Sorry I am not suitable as I have a progressive curve of 59* but have no idea how it was at skeletal maturity.

However can I ask if the sort of curve you are asking for would be classed as degenerative?

The UK Website SAUK has combined Progressive AIS in adults with Degenerative Scoliosis and I would have thought that as degenerative curves tend to increase 1 degree a year approx. that a progressive AIS curve in an adult should be 'classed' differently?
        Hi Burdle...

Degenerative scoliosis is usually classified as scoliosis that starts in adulthood. People who have idiopathic curves as a child are considered to have adult idiopathic scoliosis when they're in their later teens (and beyond).

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Rohrer...

Thanks for letting me know about my box.

I actually did think of you when I was trying to come up with someone, because I knew you had posted xrays over a relatively long period of time. Your curve is really atypical, so it wasn't appropriate for the talk.

--Linda

Comment

I think Gayle may fit in that category. Also, this woman fits...

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...age&highlight=

I am sure you have seen these but will post for others following along.

http://journals.lww.com/spinejournal...iosis_.11.aspx

http://www.ijoonline.com/article.asp...13;aulast=Wong

And here is Dr. Hey mentioning "countless" cases of progression of "stable" scoliosis.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...sis&highlight=
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Here's a 36* at maturity progressing to 48*

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2012/...ent-young.html

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Here's a ~30* at maturity progressing

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2012/...51-degree.html

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The talk is done, but thanks for looking. I had actually sent several of Lloyd Hey's blog entry links to the surgeon before I posted here.

Comment

Working...
                  X