PDA

View Full Version : 3 year update

aileens
02-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've been in the forum but I always think about this message board around my surgiversay. The reason why I'm not around anymore is that things are going extremely well 3 years after my T3-sacrum fusion. As several people have mentioned here, things continued to improve for me in year 2. I am generally pretty active now that I have a small dog - I've also been doing the Bar Method for two years which has been a great workout, supplemented by a high-intensity interval training class that is a mix of spinning and body weight exercises (think squats, lunges, plank, push-ups, etc.). I decided to add in more weight-training after taking up stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) and realized how weak my upper body is, so I also do a kettlebell class that involves deadlifts and goblet squats and suitcase lifts and other exercises that I'm surprised that I can do. I haven't had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Rand (New England Baptist) since my 1-year checkup - I had called his office and he doesn't need to see me unless something is wrong. I called more recently to check if I had any restrictions and his office said I had none, just to "be careful". So I'm carefully strengthening my core at a gym with extremely good trainers who understand my limitations.

So overall, life is good and my surgery outcome continues to be extremely positive. Just wanted to offer this as a glimmer of hope for those of you contemplating or undergoing the surgery since I know this forum was extremely important to me during my prep and recovery period.

Aileen

jackieg412
02-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Great post

Mom of 4
02-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Aileen, so glad to hear all is going well for you! Your post is very encouraging especially in regard to your level of activity. I will be having spinal fusion surgery (T4-sacrum) on March 8. As I'm sure you remember, it's quite nerve-racking heading into surgery. Thanks for giving me hope!

Best wishes for continued success!

Nancy

golfnut
02-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Aileen,
What an encouraging post for those waiting for surgery or in their first year of recovery! It sounds like you are in top physical condition. I do planks, squats, and lunges but haven't gone back to spinning. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for posting.

aileens
02-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Aileen, so glad to hear all is going well for you! Your post is very encouraging especially in regard to your level of activity. I will be having spinal fusion surgery (T4-sacrum) on March 8. As I'm sure you remember, it's quite nerve-racking heading into surgery. Thanks for giving me hope!

Best wishes for continued success!

Nancy

I was at my fittest at the time of surgery because I wanted to give myself the best chance of recovery, thinking that if I was in great shape before undergoing surgery it would make recovery easier. I also did mindfulness training and medical hypnosis as prep for surgery - I don't know if it positively impacted my recovery since I'd never had surgery before this one, but I thought it wouldn't hurt my chances for a good recovery. Good luck with your surgery - I will send positive thoughts your way!

Mojo's Mom
02-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Thank you for this! I have just watched my non-Scoli husband go through a 3 level lumbar a/p fusion on January 22nd and he has had such a rough time that it has put me in mortal terror of the long fusion to pelvis that I will need if I ever take the leap.

Reading your post is such a lift. I had already decided after watching my husband that I need to step up my already good fitness level, and your post is further inspiration to do so. I love that you did the psychological prep as well. The mind is at least half the battle.

I am in awe of you, how inspiring! How old are you, Aileen?

Scoligal85
02-15-2016, 11:00 PM
That's is OUTSTANDING! !!! I am fused to T4 to L5 "yeah one of those who didn't go all the way" but I am a year ago 6 months and back lifting "no deadlifts or standing squats or anything that hurts lol" and I absolutely LOVE ♡♡♡♡ hearing about another active, gym crazed, happy fused scoligal! Congrats and again I am so so happy happy for you.....seriously...big smile going on reading your post! :) :)

aileens
02-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Thank you for this! I have just watched my non-Scoli husband go through a 3 level lumbar a/p fusion on January 22nd and he has had such a rough time that it has put me in mortal terror of the long fusion to pelvis that I will need if I ever take the leap.

Reading your post is such a lift. I had already decided after watching my husband that I need to step up my already good fitness level, and your post is further inspiration to do so. I love that you did the psychological prep as well. The mind is at least half the battle.

I am in awe of you, how inspiring! How old are you, Aileen?

Thanks! I'm 41 now, was 38 at the time of the surgery.

PeggyS
02-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Very encouraging, Aileen! I'm only a year & a few months out & I'm SO glad I had the T-3 to S-1 surgery!
Peg