Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 year update

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've been in the forum but I always think about this message board around my surgiversay. The reason why I'm not around anymore is that things are going extremely well 3 years after my T3-sacrum fusion. As several people have mentioned here, things continued to improve for me in year 2. I am generally pretty active now that I have a small dog - I've also been doing the Bar Method for two years which has been a great workout, supplemented by a high-intensity interval training class that is a mix of spinning and body weight exercises (think squats, lunges, plank, push-ups, etc.). I decided to add in more weight-training after taking up stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) and realized how weak my upper body is, so I also do a kettlebell class that involves deadlifts and goblet squats and suitcase lifts and other exercises that I'm surprised that I can do. I haven't had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Rand (New England Baptist) since my 1-year checkup - I had called his office and he doesn't need to see me unless something is wrong. I called more recently to check if I had any restrictions and his office said I had none, just to "be careful". So I'm carefully strengthening my core at a gym with extremely good trainers who understand my limitations.

So overall, life is good and my surgery outcome continues to be extremely positive. Just wanted to offer this as a glimmer of hope for those of you contemplating or undergoing the surgery since I know this forum was extremely important to me during my prep and recovery period.

Aileen

Great post
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Aileen, so glad to hear all is going well for you! Your post is very encouraging especially in regard to your level of activity. I will be having spinal fusion surgery (T4-sacrum) on March 8. As I'm sure you remember, it's quite nerve-racking heading into surgery. Thanks for giving me hope!

Best wishes for continued success!

Nancy
      3/8/16 Dr. Lenke, NY Presbyterian The Allen Hospital
      PSSIF T4-SACRUM/ILIUM, TLIF L5-S1

Comment

Aileen,
        What an encouraging post for those waiting for surgery or in their first year of recovery! It sounds like you are in top physical condition. I do planks, squats, and lunges but haven't gone back to spinning. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for posting.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Mom of 4 View Post
          Aileen, so glad to hear all is going well for you! Your post is very encouraging especially in regard to your level of activity. I will be having spinal fusion surgery (T4-sacrum) on March 8. As I'm sure you remember, it's quite nerve-racking heading into surgery. Thanks for giving me hope!

Best wishes for continued success!

Nancy
          I was at my fittest at the time of surgery because I wanted to give myself the best chance of recovery, thinking that if I was in great shape before undergoing surgery it would make recovery easier. I also did mindfulness training and medical hypnosis as prep for surgery - I don't know if it positively impacted my recovery since I'd never had surgery before this one, but I thought it wouldn't hurt my chances for a good recovery. Good luck with your surgery - I will send positive thoughts your way!

Comment

Outstanding!

Thank you for this! I have just watched my non-Scoli husband go through a 3 level lumbar a/p fusion on January 22nd and he has had such a rough time that it has put me in mortal terror of the long fusion to pelvis that I will need if I ever take the leap.

Reading your post is such a lift. I had already decided after watching my husband that I need to step up my already good fitness level, and your post is further inspiration to do so. I love that you did the psychological prep as well. The mind is at least half the battle.

I am in awe of you, how inspiring! How old are you, Aileen?
            Stephanie, age 56
            Diagnosed age 8
            Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
            Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
            Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
            Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
            Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
            Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

That's is OUTSTANDING! !!! I am fused to T4 to L5 "yeah one of those who didn't go all the way" but I am a year ago 6 months and back lifting "no deadlifts or standing squats or anything that hurts lol" and I absolutely LOVE ♡♡♡♡ hearing about another active, gym crazed, happy fused scoligal! Congrats and again I am so so happy happy for you.....seriously...big smile going on reading your post!
              Ronee

Fused July 29th 2014 T4 to L5

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
                Thank you for this! I have just watched my non-Scoli husband go through a 3 level lumbar a/p fusion on January 22nd and he has had such a rough time that it has put me in mortal terror of the long fusion to pelvis that I will need if I ever take the leap.

Reading your post is such a lift. I had already decided after watching my husband that I need to step up my already good fitness level, and your post is further inspiration to do so. I love that you did the psychological prep as well. The mind is at least half the battle.

I am in awe of you, how inspiring! How old are you, Aileen?
                Thanks! I'm 41 now, was 38 at the time of the surgery.

Comment

Very encouraging, Aileen! I'm only a year & a few months out & I'm SO glad I had the T-3 to S-1 surgery!
                  Peg
                  Peg
                  61 yrs old
                  75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                  T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                  Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Working...
                  X