PDA

View Full Version : Any experience/knowledge of Dr. Barsi in Stonybrook, NY

ksmom0611
10-01-2015, 12:31 PM
This might not be the right place to post this, but I feel most comfortable with the people in this forum.

My almost 9 year old daughter has been diagnosed with scoliosis (18 degrees). As you can imagine, I'm devastated. I won't get into all the details/info here. But we are consulting with a Dr. Barsi and I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of him. He is affiliated with Stonybrook University in NY. If you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it. We are just following her and possibly bracing in the future (gulp), no surgery for now. We have seen Dr. Lonner (my surgeon) but he really specializes in people who need surgery. Obviously, we are trying to avoid that.

Thank you!

jackieg412
10-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Welcome. You are ahead of the game because you are watching. It is indeed scary but my granddaughter has a 14 degree curve. No treatment needed but she is a little older. I asked my scoliosis doctor to check her because of my full spine fusion.
Take her for her checkups and watch her through her growth spurt. Bracing can be effective at this age. I am sure there are others that can give you info on the doctor that you mentioned.

dolores a
10-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Hello KS mom, and welcome to this very informative and supportive forum! I see that you are from Long Island, and for a second opinion, I had a successful surgery with dr. Agulnick in Garden City. Also, one of my coworkers by coincidence, used this practice for his daughter. She was braced and holding steady. It was a different surgeon from this practice, I will find his name tomorrow, prayers to you and your daughter for peace of mind through this uncertain time in your lives! Learn all you you need to know about this and write down all of your questions and concerns

Pooka1
10-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Hi.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis. Since she was diagnosed at 8, she has early onset and not adolescent (assuming it isn't congenital). This is far less common than adolescent and you will want to have a surgeon who is extremely experienced in this form of scoliosis. Were it my child I would also get an appointment to have her seen by someone who does stapling and tethering in case that is an option if someone suggest bracing. There are relatively few surgeons who have done many cases so you have to seek them out.

There are two mothers on this forum whose children have early onset and were stapled. They are both doing so well and it certainly looks like they will avoid fusion. I hope so. Here is a web site in case you want to find out more about this...

http://www.vertebralstapling.com/

Good luck.