Any experience/knowledge of Dr. Barsi in Stonybrook, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience/knowledge of Dr. Barsi in Stonybrook, NY

This might not be the right place to post this, but I feel most comfortable with the people in this forum.

My almost 9 year old daughter has been diagnosed with scoliosis (18 degrees). As you can imagine, I'm devastated. I won't get into all the details/info here. But we are consulting with a Dr. Barsi and I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of him. He is affiliated with Stonybrook University in NY. If you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it. We are just following her and possibly bracing in the future (gulp), no surgery for now. We have seen Dr. Lonner (my surgeon) but he really specializes in people who need surgery. Obviously, we are trying to avoid that.

Thank you!
    T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
    10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
    Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
    At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
    Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
    Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
    Mom of 2 cuties!

Welcome. You are ahead of the game because you are watching. It is indeed scary but my granddaughter has a 14 degree curve. No treatment needed but she is a little older. I asked my scoliosis doctor to check her because of my full spine fusion.
    Take her for her checkups and watch her through her growth spurt. Bracing can be effective at this age. I am sure there are others that can give you info on the doctor that you mentioned.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Just for another opinion maybe

Hello KS mom, and welcome to this very informative and supportive forum! I see that you are from Long Island, and for a second opinion, I had a successful surgery with dr. Agulnick in Garden City. Also, one of my coworkers by coincidence, used this practice for his daughter. She was braced and holding steady. It was a different surgeon from this practice, I will find his name tomorrow, prayers to you and your daughter for peace of mind through this uncertain time in your lives! Learn all you you need to know about this and write down all of your questions and concerns
      Dolores A
      June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
      June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
      Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
      NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Hi.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis. Since she was diagnosed at 8, she has early onset and not adolescent (assuming it isn't congenital). This is far less common than adolescent and you will want to have a surgeon who is extremely experienced in this form of scoliosis. Were it my child I would also get an appointment to have her seen by someone who does stapling and tethering in case that is an option if someone suggest bracing. There are relatively few surgeons who have done many cases so you have to seek them out.

There are two mothers on this forum whose children have early onset and were stapled. They are both doing so well and it certainly looks like they will avoid fusion. I hope so. Here is a web site in case you want to find out more about this...

http://www.vertebralstapling.com/

Good luck.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
        X