PDA

View Full Version : A POSITIVE post

cathydrew
08-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Hey everyone I have been reading all the posts and most lately have been not quite positive. It's sad to hear how much pain there is out there and unsuccessful surgeries and I pray that my successful surgery continues to just get better. I only take a small painkiller on occasion I'm saving them for September when I go back to teaching 5th grade. The only thing that really bothers me is my neck a little bit above the fusion on occasion only, and if I sit for too long. Otherwise I'm doing pretty well considering it's only four months. Tonight I am back to my disco dance band, my first performance since April 2. We are playing from 9 PM To 1 AM at a local disco club. My lung capacity is not quite what it was before but it's still pretty good. There are two other singers thank goodness so I won't have to do all the sets by myself. I'm pretty excited I've missed it it's what I've been doing since I'm 18 years old so I figured I'd share it with you guys. Some of the post I read on this forum scare me and I get the feeling that someday I'm might have to stop doing this which would be horrible because singing and performing is so important to me.

I wish you all lived locally so you could come down I'll buy you a drink!

Wish me luck!
🎶🎤

Doreen1
08-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Great to hear! If I lived near you, I'd stop by for the disco festivities!

mabeckoff
08-07-2015, 12:41 PM
What great news!

Where are you on Long island?

I am from Long Island

cathydrew
08-07-2015, 03:26 PM
What great news!

Where are you on Long island?

I am from Long Island

I'm in Oakdale Melissa, where are you from?

JenniferG
08-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Congratulations for getting back to what you love so early in your recovery! You must be so happy!

titaniumed
08-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Cathy

Your not singing “Muskrat love” are you? Oh, Man.... I’m convinced that number exasperates scoliosis. LOL

You should be able to sing just fine.....keep it up

One of the saddest things I have ever read was about Linda Ronstadt not being able to sing due to her Parkinson disease.....

She is a National arts advocate and stated before Congress....

“In the United States, we spend millions of dollars on sports because it promotes teamwork, discipline, and the experience of learning to make great progress in small increments. Learning to play music does all this, and more”.

Ed

susancook
08-08-2015, 02:23 PM
I am from Massapequa Park, Long Island....but live near Portland, OR so if you are ever in this neck of the woods or I am in New York, we could drink together!

Congrats on your increased activity and return to singing!

Suggestion for pain relief when returning to work: Bring heat or ice....what ever works, take breaks and lay down, when you go home, lay down for 20 minutes before tackling your easy or take out dinner, be good to yourself and delegate [like hiring a house cleaner].

Re: the posts of "good, bad and ugly"...yes, the tone has shifted and I believe that it is because those of us with continuing challenges feel safe to post with company. I post a little bit more infrequently anyway now, but my continuing saga is in the ugly category [spinal cord injury and spinal infection over one year after first surgery] but I am improving. I am glad that a spectrum of outcomes to surgery are posted to present a spectrum of outcomes and to offer support/suggestions to those of us posting.

Susan

mabeckoff
08-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Wow... we could have a Long Island Group. I am from Oceanside many years ago. I now live in Southern CA but but will always consider Long Island home

Glad that you are doing what you want .

At this point, even though I have pain I still consider myself a success. Pain does not define me. I am more than my pain. I am hoping that my spinal cord stimulator will work . If it does not, then I will have to figure out how to go on with my pain, but I will go on. Life is always changing. I am finally getting a divorce . I am getting another grandchild in December. I am considering restarting an at home baking business I started before pain was a partner in my life. For those of you who know, you know that not much stops me .

Melissa

PeggyS
08-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Yeah, Cathy! It's great to get back to 'normal' things!
My 'new normal' is soooo much better than my old normal!

I want to address neck pain from above the fusion. I think this is where my scapula pain is coming from & I've finally diagnosed myself, as to why. I often sit with my head looking down: ipad on pillow on lap or paperwork at the kitchen table. The neck/head position is what seems to trigger the burning scapula pain. Ice packs help. At first, it was 'bear claw' & most of the time. With lessening frequency & duration, I was able to pinpoint what I'm doing to aggravate the issue. So . . . Bottom line . . . Check your head/neck position!

Have fun singing!

cathydrew
08-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Cathy

Your not singing “Muskrat love” are you? Oh, Man.... I’m convinced that number exasperates scoliosis. LOL

You should be able to sing just fine.....keep it up

One of the saddest things I have ever read was about Linda Ronstadt not being able to sing due to her Parkinson disease.....

She is a National arts advocate and stated before Congress....

“In the United States, we spend millions of dollars on sports because it promotes teamwork, discipline, and the experience of learning to make great progress in small increments. Learning to play music does all this, and more”.

Ed

Ha! Ed I'm pretty sure it was "Puppy Love" that sent me to surgery..... By the way the evening went well, was pretty exhausted next day but soooo glad I'm back. Next show, next Friday at the beach!

ADMoul
08-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Fabulous news that you're back to singing. My own experience as a choral singer is that I can sing much better since my surgery because of better breathing capacity, no pain when standing and everything in the diaphragm/vocal mechanism, etc. is much better aligned. Sounds like you're really healing well and will be ready to go back to teaching. Doing the happy dance for you!

lduran
08-12-2015, 12:50 PM
So absolutely thrilled for you! I feel sad when I read the not so happy comments, but I see why this would be the place to do it.

Like you, I have recently gone back to work on limited basis since the Dr doesn't want me driving for long periods of time. Still wearing the brace (Ninja turtle shell!) which helps but I am beginning to notice some dependence on it. Other than an occasional pain med I am meds free... and that by itself makes me a happy girl.

Best thoughts for all of you dealing with scoli issues. We all know first hand how debilitating it can be.

Loretta