Visitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitors

I am 15 and I'm having surgery in June. I have a lot of people who want to come see me. Will I be ready for visitors? How long should they stay? How long of a break will I need between visitors? Thank you for your help!

Those are great questions. I'd recommend that you ask your surgeon or his staff. Everyone recovers at a different rate, but I'm guessing that you're not going to feel much like having visitors for at least the first 3-4 days.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I personally didn't want visitors at all when I had my surgery. I didn't even like having my mom around keeping an eye on me... After I was home a couple of days and got some actual rest, then I was ready to see people.
      Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
      Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
      Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
      Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
      February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
      September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

damanw,

Just speaking for myself, after major surgery I wanted my immediate family only for the first 3 or 4 days. I felt really out of it, and had all these tubes coming out of me, and was in a lot of pain. I just wanted my husband to hold my hand, and I wanted to sleep. I did not have the energy to be friendly and carry on a conversation.

Everyone is different, but I would encourage you to have your parents police the visitors and keep them out the first few days. You will need your rest to help you heal. Also, you'll want to make sure that when someone does visit, you've just had a dose of your pain meds. That will make you feel much more chipper!

Best of luck to you with your surgery!

Susanna
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

yeh a lot of the time i couldnt hav visitors coz iwas asleep etc. just see how u feel that day coz i remember i had one really off day where i was jus feeling rly gross & sick & i scheduled some friends to see me but i had to tell them that they couldnt. just wait & see
          *ANGIE* 14-15 y/o
          had operation in september 2004
          a rod was put in:T10-L3
          My curve was 50* & is now 7*
          "All that glitters is not always gold & diamonds in the rough do not always shine"

Comment

my daughter had surgery a few months ago and kept asking for her friends, on the 4th day we brought her 4 best friends there and she slept the whole time they were there. She remembers them being there, but she was out of it. At another time she had some visitors and the room was pretty crowded and she said it was too noisy and wanted everyone to leave. Everyone is different and i would definitely wait a few days and keep it to a minimum at a time and don't keep the visits too long.

Comment

Hello,
              I had the operation last July. I wasnt up for visitors for a good few days. Hope this helps x x

Comment

Working...
              X