PDA

View Full Version : Sitting long hours is becoming more of a punishment than a relief with a rib hump

Jinseeker
07-07-2015, 03:33 AM
I am posting here since at a tender age of 31, I have noticed more difficulty in sitting without some sort of a back ache while working at the desk for long hours. I do not know if I am just overexaggerating the pain I have and that I should just live with it since it is normal or if this will all get relieved from doing surgery. I understand because of my severe thoracic scoliosis, my muscles are working in an unbalanced fashion in the thoracic area, I have managed to successfully help ease the pain by sitting in my own awkward looking counterposture scoliosis fashion, which is by purposely lifting my left shoulder up higher than my right, shifting my trunk to the left OR sitting on a wedge on my right buttock. However, when I do this it will make my thoracic curve straighter, but make the compensatory curves(cervical and lumbar) worse, and start to get aches there too as opposed to my thoracic. I do not know if this is a good strategy to keep on trying. But I feel I am at the point where I need to strap a lumbar or rib support belt in order to get long term relief if I want to sit down and work for long hours. Is this a gloomy predicament of things to come. People around me are wondering who is the weird guy sitting so awkwardly in the office, but I simply don't care anymore. I will do whatever it takes if I can sit more pain free and do my job well.

My question is am I just overexaggerating the pain with the false notion that having a fused spine will relieve me completely of back pain while sitting long hours since your spine will be straight. OR will there still be pain after fusion due to unbalanced muscles working more in the area that wasn't fused, thus the muscles tire more easily as well. My surgeon tells me my pain from sitting is coming from the muscles tiring in an unbalanced fashion.

Good news is my curves still hasn't worsened, and the back pain is only due to sitting, which is pretty much the majority of my day and lifestyle habits. I am not at the point where I am taking pain meds yet. I am moderately fit, 5'6 145 lbs, but I don't see this getting any easier when I age as my spine starts to slouch more and I pack on more pounds. Perhaps I can lose more weight and get fitter to be able to sit longer hours but I don't see myself wanting to live a life of fitness(working out 5 times a day) as I am mostly a sedentary person, especially when the option of surgery can fix the spine without needing a higher fitness level to avoid back pain.

This scoliosis is ultimately very confusing and have spent countless hours deciding if I am just overexaggerating and being too sensitive about it, and what to do and research that just leaves me more confused as all the answers are either contradictory or open -ended. It is easy to blame the scoliosis whenever you are in pain and come to the conclusion that your pain levels are abnormal and rush off to decide on surgery in hopes to end it all, but also at the same time don't know what to expect from what a fused straight spine can offer.

How do you know when enough is enough, If you were in my place, would you keep wearing a rib belt your entire life or throw in the towel and have surgery. I feel helpless...

LindaRacine
07-07-2015, 02:12 PM
If most of my pain came from sitting, I'd try a sit-stand desk:

http://www.thehumansolution.com/uplift-900-electric-sit-stand-desk-silver.html

titaniumed
07-07-2015, 04:51 PM
If you are going to sit at a desk, best to get up often and walk around. Before or after surgery......Same thing in the car, best to take breaks every so often.

How is the Chiro working for you? I ask because I have done Chiro since 1986. What are they doing with you? What have they told you?

Ed

Jinseeker
07-07-2015, 11:16 PM
I am already using a sit stand desk, I'm still not quite comfortable working this way since standing does take their toll on your knees. I feel like I have to keep interchanging standing on one leg with the other since I feel more stable this way as compared to standing on both legs because of my scoliosis.

I have stopped going to the chiro and don't recommend it to anyone. I get relief very temporarily and after being under the care of chiropractors for 10 years, all I can say is it can be a shady business. My first chiropractor never got to hold off my progression, made me feel manic about doing the exercises which contribute nothing at all, and the 2nd one downright lied to me stating I had an improvement of my spine of 5 degrees from his 2 month once-a-week treatment. I figured this out when I spotted the improvement of the xray was only due to the fact he shot it with me not totally facing front towards the xray machine. So folks, be careful when they shoot your xrays, a lot of external factors can determine what your cobb angle actually is.

titaniumed
07-08-2015, 03:23 AM
I have stopped going to the chiro and don't recommend it to anyone. I get relief very temporarily and after being under the care of chiropractors for 10 years, all I can say is it can be a shady business.
After 10 years, there must have been some sunlight.....

Suppose you found a mute chiropractor that didnít have an x-ray machine. That would eliminate the hoopla, and the errors of measurement. Forget progression, forget exercises,

What did you think about the adjustments?

Do you ever crack your back by yourself? Ever have anyone walk on your back?

I know there are chiro patients here, but they donít post much about it. Just wondering?

Ed

titaniumed
07-08-2015, 03:30 AM
One time my lower spine was just killing me, the pain was severe. I was a passenger in a car sitting on the seat holding myself up with my arms pushing down on the seat. All of a sudden, we hit a bump in the road, and I was fixed. The pain was gone.....I had a self adjustment. Just wondering if you or anyone has done this or can relate.

Chiropractic by Cadillac. (Smiley face)

Ed

Jinseeker
07-08-2015, 09:44 AM
The chiropractic adjustments do feel good, but they often only give temporary relief and it is also costly.

So I strapped my lumbar support belt again while working today while sitting down after I felt I had enough of the collapsed or wonky feeling of trying to fight off the curves, and instantly I felt better. I think it is safe to say that this has been by saving grace. Throughout the years I have done schroth exercises, kept a pretty decent fitness level and diet, but it compares nothing to what a belt or brace can do for scoliosis. For some reason I could breath better too, and feel more alert.(Something I didn't feel I ever needed back in my 20s). SO I am asking myself Is this how it truly feels like to have a straight spine? If Surgery is like putting a brace inside the body, I think i'd be solving my uneasiness and collapsed feeling altogether while sitting down if I had it done, so why not?

LindaRacine
07-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Ed... I used to crack both my neck and my SI joints on a daily basis, and it helped a lot with the pain. I have a difficult time cracking my neck now, as I think the muscles don't allow enough movement. I do benefit a lot from adjustments to my neck when I need them. I stopped being able to crack my SI joints after I was fused to the sacrum. Thankfully, I no longer had the pain that caused me to crack them in the first place. Like Jinseeker, I never got any real help with my lumbar pain or progression from chiropractic, despite the fact that I had 2-3 treatments a week for almost a year. It was a total ripoff, but I wanted to believe.

--Linda

titaniumed
07-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Linda,

So thatís you and me so far.....The only experienced back and neck crackers here! Like I said, there are not many chiro scolis that post about adjustments.

I would crack my spine sitting in a chair and twist hard. I would also pull myself around with my arms just to get things to let loose and crack. I did this multiple times a day for 33 years. I just cant believe that no-one has even brought this up here. My spine would bind and ache, and the only relief was to adjust either by myself, or with a Chiropractor.

Nothing medically related in the US is cheap anymore. Obamacare is designed so insurance companies donít go broke. I watched a boring video with Ben Bernanke and he stated that if AIG would have went belly up in 2008, it would have been a GLOBAL economic disaster......This is why we now get ripped off by the insurance companies....When the markets adjust again, (they always do) it is going to be a problem.

Males over 55 have the highest rates, and the more you make, the more it cost. I figure next year it will cost me a house payment each month along with a huge deductible.

For those that wonder what things might cost, check this webpage out.
https://healthcarebluebook.com/page_ConsumerFront.aspx

Lumbar support soft back braces are good devices for us. Actually, its more about the belly pushing up the ribcage. I have owned several through the years...

Ed

Jinseeker
07-10-2015, 12:08 AM
So can anyone tell me if a scoliosis surgery be the same as wearing a rib support belt? Would it be worth the it, I'm sure some of you may have tried some sort of support brace or belt before you had the surgery to try and relieve you of your pain, would that relief be comparable to what you were able to get after surgery, and did you still feel the need to use a support belt after the operation was done years after?

LindaRacine
07-10-2015, 09:04 PM
So can anyone tell me if a scoliosis surgery be the same as wearing a rib support belt? Would it be worth the it, I'm sure some of you may have tried some sort of support brace or belt before you had the surgery to try and relieve you of your pain, would that relief be comparable to what you were able to get after surgery, and did you still feel the need to use a support belt after the operation was done years after?

There is no way of knowing if you'll get any relief from surgery for back pain. Most people do, but some don't.